Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

serious injury from disc brake
Quote | Reply
https://www.velonews.com/news/cyclocross/shirin-van-anrooij-left-with-open-wounds-by-disc-brake-at-cyclocross-world-cup/

I heard this as an argument against dic brakes in the past but it's the first time I hear of an actual accident. Have there been serious incidents in the past?
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [RichardA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cue widespread hysteria and wailing from the luddite roadies.

Good job chain rings, chains and cassettes have never injured anyone 🤔

Actually the best way to improve race safety is to stop riding on tarmac. Because WAAAAY more injuries occur when the skinny anorexic pro roadie hits that, on a daily basis.

Or bring in some minimum body fat and upper body muscle requirements - roadies snap like twigs when they fall off because of their emaciated upper bodies have no strength).
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Actually the best way to improve race safety is to stop riding on tarmac. Because WAAAAY more injuries occur when the skinny anorexic pro roadie hits that, on a daily basis.

Or bring in some minimum body fat and upper body muscle requirements - roadies snap like twigs when they fall off because of their emaciated upper bodies have no strength).

Trying to compensate?

Feeling inadequate?

Need a hug?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
https://www.velonews.com/news/cyclocross/shirin-van-anrooij-left-with-open-wounds-by-disc-brake-at-cyclocross-world-cup/

I heard this as an argument against dic brakes in the past but it's the first time I hear of an actual accident. Have there been serious incidents in the past?

I have a scar on my arm from a spoke in a crit crash, outlaw spokes.. Bike crashes are dangerous, I'm not sure discs add much to the danger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Why do you hate roadies so much? Are you a cross-fit gym rat that hates all skinny people?
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Why do you hate roadies so much? Are you a cross-fit gym rat that hates all skinny people?

Someone just lost that cherished Strava KOM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Having a bad day? Need a safe space? Maybe a drink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow did you expect your original post to illicit the responses above?
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiscotsg wrote:

:-)

Most of them are fine, there is only one child that escaped his mother's attention and tried to be funny. Or at least I hope that's what he tried, otherwise there is real reason to be concerned for his mental health. Or maybe my post was not properly worded. English is not my native language so that could be the cause.

But I was just wondering if there had been serious incidents before. Like I said, I heard it as an argument against disc brakes in the past but I never actually heard of real accidents, so I thought it was a nonexisting risk untill now. BTW I have nothing against disc brakes, probably if I buy a new bike it will have disc brakes just to complete the collection :-)
Last edited by: RichardA: Dec 1, 20 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiscotsg wrote:

I actually expect every post to elicit this sort of response. To some, ST seems to be a constant competition to see who can be the biggest dick, and when their dickishness is met with more snark this just perpetuates things. It's the ST way.

I've been on plenty of other forums where the tone is set "from the top down." I'm not talking about bans or suspensions, but the mods set a tone for what's acceptable, and all forum members then self-enforce. A post like the one above on most other forums I'm on would simply be met with "hey, we don't talk to each other like that around here." But I guess I can only conclude that this sort of tone is how things are intended to be around here. Frankly, it gets old real fast.
Last edited by: el gato: Dec 1, 20 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardA wrote:
hiscotsg wrote:

:-)

Most of them are fine, there is only one child that escaped his mother's attention and tried to be funny. Or at least I hope that's what he tried, otherwise there is real reason to be concerned for his mental health. Or maybe my post was not properly worded. English is not my native language so that could be the cause.

But I was just wondering if there had been serious incidents before. Like I said, I heard it as an argument against disc brakes in the past but I never actually heard of real accidents, so I thought it was a nonexisting risk untill now. BTW I have nothing against disc brakes, probably if I buy a new bike it will have disc brakes just to complete the collection :-)

There are plenty of examples from MTB and CX sources (like this one is as well)...if you search, it's pretty easy to find examples of things like calves and such cleanly sliced open (not nice to look at though). It's only on the road side that the "major players" gang up to minimize and/or bring into question the incidents.

As RChung likes to say (ironically) though..."If only there was a way to objectively determine the relative safety of equipment." :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can recall maybe 1 road crash in the last year or two where a disc rotor may have done some damage.

Some brands offer rotors with rounded edges to make them less sharp. I would be interested to hear if those were being used in this case or if they are used by a majority of the pros riding disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
I can recall maybe 1 road crash in the last year or two where a disc rotor may have done some damage.

Some brands offer rotors with rounded edges to make them less sharp. I would be interested to hear if those were being used in this case or if they are used by a majority of the pros riding disc brakes.
Rotors with rounded edges are mandatory in UCI races.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 1, 20 11:58
Re: serious injury from disc brake [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fran Ventoso (Spanish pro tour guy) sliced (allegedly) his leg on one of these things a few years ago. He wrote an open letter criticizing them. The only two teams that had discs at that race tried to disregard his allegations, but the case described in the letter makes sense.

Neither a disc lover nor hater, had a road bike with discs but sold it as they offered no benefit around here (all flat). So haven't been following the technology very well, but aren't discs now required to be protected?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article and related information says the injury was caused by 'a piece of a disc brake.' This may be an awkward translation but it implies to me that whatever cut her was not intact. When you go down hard enough to start shearing brake rotors there are any number of things that will land you in hospital.

The wound does sound particular horrific in terms of blood loss but its not clear to me how much worse the discs made the injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden MTB for years and not cross country, generally DH and Enduro. I crash way more often doing this than on the road and I have seen tons of nasty crashes and injuries amongst my riding groups and myself. I have yet to see a significant injury from a rotor. Do they happen? I am sure they do, but I think they are far less likely a cause of injury than lots of other things. I believe that discs probably prevent more issues than they cause.

One guys opinion...
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Benv wrote:
j.shanney wrote:

Rotors with rounded edges are mandatory in UCI races.

Sometimes the UCI gets it right. As I assume this was an UCI race, wondering if that rule was actually enforced.
It was the World cup race on Sunday in Tabor.
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: serious injury from disc brake [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irrelevant. Group crashes and pileups don't happen in MTB. It's other riders rotors that cause injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
.....Or bring in some minimum body fat and upper body muscle requirements - roadies snap like twigs when they fall off because of their emaciated upper bodies have no strength).
It's unclear if you're serious?

Are you suggesting muscular strength and general bulk would prevent injuries?
While you may get some shock absorption from additional fat and muscle between the points of contact and bone, I think it's doubtful it would reduce harm in most crashes. Kinetic Energy = 1/2 m v2
m is mass
v is velocity

Since more mass means proportionally more energy must be absorbed in the impact, and since most of the likely points of contact in a crash, such as skull, face, elbows, knees, hands, don't actually have a significant covering of fat or muscle regardless of body fat% or musculature, I'm not sure there's any rationale to your assertions.

In fact it's much easier to argue that higher body fat and muscle make you more prone to injury in a fall. As mentioned above higher body mass contributes proportionally to kinetic energy, but in addition, low mass is most advantageous to performance when climbing, whereas more massive riders may reach higher speeds in sprints and on descents (especially if non-technical). Kinetic energy increases in proportion to the square of speed. The high speeds in sprints and descents lead to the most energetic crashes where padding might be most helpful however for more massive riders, the kinetic energy is higher still due to mass and potentially because that's where they'll perform best (fastest) so they are likely to be at a huge disadvantage to start with.

If you were to argue that low bone density in serious cyclists posed a risk you might have something to work with, but as it is I think you're talking nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My most recent road bike purchase (2 years ago) included disc brakes because I felt they were safer after have been caught in the rain on some hilly roads more than once. Learning how to read a weather radar better should have been my 1st plan. I also tend to ride alone or with only a few others and we are not in a pace line. The chances of my disc or another's broken disc attacking me are very small. Besides, when I have crashed on the road bike I am usually separated from said bike and its the road (and my lack of coordination) that causes the damage.
Quote Reply