Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help!
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have a set of deep section (60/90) wheels from FLO - alu rim/carbon section. Love them.

Went tubeless the other day. Bought the long valves from FLO, rim tape from Stan, and Schwalbe 25 Pro 1. Haven't put the sealant yet.

All went very well (surprised in fact).

Except now the carbon deep section of my rear wheel sounds like a drum when I ride it. First went to test the setup, heard the sound, came back home, deflated, massaged the tyre, reinflated. Thought "maybe the tyre not sitting evenly" and squeezes the rim unevenly. Then went for another try, same sound, except it stopped after maybe 200 meters. Figured the tyre eventually settled. But the noise from the carbon section came back on every bump. Visual inspection (with tyre inflated) shows the carbon section to be uneven (not flat) in some spots. When I press on it I can see it is flexing and becoming convex/concave in different places. Then I have deflated, reinflated (now putting two drops of oil to ease the tyre. Same stuff.

What do you think? Is the tension on some sprockets higher than in others (in fact it seems that one or two are a bit looser than the others)? Could it be that I applied too much strength when taping the rim? Did I screw the alu rim? The previous clincher setup never had a single issue, and the tyre was way tighter than this one...

Help!
Last edited by: Pas: Nov 29, 20 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help! [Pas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the tire pressure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like maybe the beads didn't fully seat, which leaves uneven pressure on the rim and can deform it a bit. Try deflating the tire and putting a little soapy water around the the inside edges of the rim where it meets the tire, then reinflate to a bit above normal pressure. The tire beads should pop into the rim and it should then be perfectly true and round.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi thanks for taking the time.

Tried that too now, soapier than a babybath as it were... no success. Hear all kind of popping sounds too.

To summarize:
  • Tried to inflated/deflate it a few times, pumping up progressively to allow for adjustments. At higher pressures it does that. Went 40 - waited... 60... waited...I reached 120 - then I stopped for fear of busting it all.
  • Soon as it goes back to flat, the rim goes back to normal, suggesting it is indeed the tyre that does that and that the rim is not compromised I guess.
  • Perhaps the tape is too tight in some spots? Can't quite figure what to change...

Last edited by: Pas: Nov 30, 20 2:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the tape. It's the tire. I hate to say it but I think that tire just isn't going to work on that rim. The bead on the tire is just not mating to the hook on the rim well, and not going in easily. Even if you do get it to finally seat all the way, there's a good chance that after it sits that way for a bit you won't be able to get it off in the field in the event of a flat. You're not the first person to have this problem with Schwalbe Pro 1's. I'd highly recommend picking up some Conti 5000s instead. Sorry. Maybe you can sell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an answer; however, if i were in your situation i would pull the tire off and put a tube in it. Inflate the tube to normal riding pressure and see if the rim still looks uneven.

If it does look uneven, then i'd do the same thing with a different tire (with a tube, for ease) and see if it still looks uneven. If so, you can at least rule out the tire as the issue.

If the rim looks good with the original tire with a tube in it, then honestly (if it were me) i would leave the tube in it and continue training on it with a tube installed. But, if you really want to be tubeless, maybe try another tubeless tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
It's not the tape. It's the tire. I hate to say it but I think that tire just isn't going to work on that rim. The bead on the tire is just not mating to the hook on the rim well, and not going in easily. Even if you do get it to finally seat all the way, there's a good chance that after it sits that way for a bit you won't be able to get it off in the field in the event of a flat. You're not the first person to have this problem with Schwalbe Pro 1's. I'd highly recommend picking up some Conti 5000s instead. Sorry. Maybe you can sell them.

oh boy, quite the catastrophe if that's the case. I have Conti 5000s on other rims but mounting them put water in my eyes and the prospect of easier life made me buy these ones. I love the feel and ride experience on these... would hate to get rid of them... will try a few more times and then reconsider...

thanks for taking the time!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help! [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I don't have an answer; however, if i were in your situation i would pull the tire off and put a tube in it. Inflate the tube to normal riding pressure and see if the rim still looks uneven.

If it does look uneven, then i'd do the same thing with a different tire (with a tube, for ease) and see if it still looks uneven. If so, you can at least rule out the tire as the issue.

If the rim looks good with the original tire with a tube in it, then honestly (if it were me) i would leave the tube in it and continue training on it with a tube installed. But, if you really want to be tubeless, maybe try another tubeless tire.

Thanks, quite the scientific method, I like that. I will do exactly that and see what's what. If it comes to that yes, I will leave tube in... pity though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's also possible that putting a tube in will "fix" the problem you had with the tubeless setup, meaning it could help push the rim tape where it needs to be and could also help stretch the tire onto the correct part of the rim. So if you really want to run those tubeless, you could always try again after installing the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Setup...Wheel Messed-Up? Help! [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
It's also possible that putting a tube in will "fix" the problem you had with the tubeless setup, meaning it could help push the rim tape where it needs to be and could also help stretch the tire onto the correct part of the rim. So if you really want to run those tubeless, you could always try again after installing the tube.

Tried that too, but to no avail. Perhaps I should let it in and massage the tyre until it deforms - but I am afraid that the rim may be deformed too - whichever comes first.

So I packed the tyre and sending it back for a replacement - perhaps it is just that issue (the one in front is working V well, I should say).

If this doesn't work I'll need to go back to the old set-up and maybe truing the wheel.

The shape of the hook should not be an issue. It marries well with the front wheel, so not sure what changes on the back, other than the forces transmitted from the cassette (but this should have no implication on the wheel when it is still)
Quote Reply