Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"all road" pedal
Quote | Reply
Does such a pedal exist?

Something that can get muddy, but gives the security and power transfer of a road pedal?

I seems like they got close with the Speedplay Syzr except for it's flaws.
Quote Reply
Re: "all road" pedal [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new favorite thing are dual sided pedals. I have in both my gravel and mtb. SPD on one side, flat with pins on the other. It makes it where I can quickly and easily grab the bike for a laid back family ride, but also go all out with the guys, without having to change pedals. So its "all road" and "all ride"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Does such a pedal exist?

Something that can get muddy, but gives the security and power transfer of a road pedal?

I seems like they got close with the Speedplay Syzr except for it's flaws.

Shimano SPD “trail” version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for all road as well as MTB my go to is Time ATAC they are great all around for both and when it comes to mud clearance they are the best from my many years of using them..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Look X track. Like a Shimano spd but with slightly more sole contact. Fits standard spd cleats as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank Brothers Egg Beater
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i race and ride with shimano road pedals because i like the feel of my road shoes. They aren't ideal for walking in the mud, but they aren't that tough to clean out and get clipped back in (especially on a solo ride..it's harder in a race).

If i know it's going to be bad (like midsouth this year) I'll use SPD pedals. If you have good shoes with stiff soles, I don't think you'll notice power transfer issues. If you have cheap shoes with soles that flex as you push down, you're going to notice it more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HT M1 Leopard is the best pedal of this type that I have ever used.
It looks pretty similar to an SPD- But has "mixed jaws". 1 Jaw is like an SPD, one jaw is more like a Time Atac.
The pedal uses a slightly wider cleat- This gives a very secure interface with now rock or creak.
I always had creaks and rock with all other pedals- SPD, Time Atac, Crank Bros, etc.

Not sure about Speedplay- But the weakness of the Speedplay is that the cleat has no lateral adjustment.
Quote Reply
Re: "all road" pedal [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get different spindle lengths on the Speedplay. That said, I'm not a fan of the SYZR engagement/disengagement. The HT's look cool!
Quote Reply
Re: "all road" pedal [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different spindle lengths accomplish the same thing- But that is a pain. Not like you can make a small move to see what works best for you.

HT pedals are great- They feel like a road pedal while clipped in.
Quote Reply
Re: "all road" pedal [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My GF rode that pedal 2 years ago, before that she rode on the Candy. She did that mainly so she could use a mountain bike shoe she could run through transition on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt a bigger improvement (reduced slop, better connection) going from crankbrothers pedals (eggbeaters, candys) to SPD MTB pedals than going from the SPD MTB pedals to carbon road shoes on Keo Blades. Road shoes/road pedals was the cheapest $/gram to save weight on my setup but when I'm out training, I miss being able to walk around non-awkwardly and being able to clip in quickly when crossing a road.
Quote Reply