Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belgian_Waffle wrote:
And is it just me or all the pros riding the new bike seem worse fit wise than on the prior model?

Probably they are not fitted on them at all due to not being able to just take them anywhere until today.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a pretty will thought out bike:
- Discrete flat kit storage above the bottom bracket
- Well integrated hydration and bento box that don't add area onto the frame
- Looks like easy adjustability in the cockpit
- Ample tire clearance (for triathlon)

9-10 watts faster than the old Speedmax is impressive. Though I'm not sure we ever really had a clear picture of where the old Speedmax was compared to the Speed Concept, P5, etc.

Like all the top end bikes it doesn't come cheap. But I imagine plenty of dentists will be riding this bike in 2021

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

Like all the top end bikes it doesn't come cheap. But I imagine plenty of dentists will be riding this bike in 2021

I'll be interested to see how many of these are sold. When the prices were lower it was almost a no brainer, and any warranty issues were the risk you took for value. I think a lot of people that have been holding out for these, myself included, are a bit disappointed. They are still better value across the entire range, but not so much that you instantly overlook the other brands anymore. I was literally poised waiting to buy, but sorry Canyon, I'm gone.
Last edited by: jn46: Nov 17, 20 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it's well thought out but I'm not sold on the execution of the in-frame bladder:
[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/...speedmax-bladder.jpg[/img]

I have five... six?... years on my Shiv Tri with integrated bladder. The Shiv bladder is much more "straight" without the weird kind the canyon bladder has. It also went into a much larger down tube through a much larger opening. The Shiv's bladder is a pain to get in place and get unkinked so you can fill it up all the way. After you do it a number of times you get a feel for the process. I'm quite confident that the Speedmax bladder will be a nightmare to install and that you'll almost never get the full capacity. Further, the Shiv's bladder cannot be filled super quick. The weight of fluid at the bottom of the bag puts tension on the top of the bag partially closing it. I see this being way way way worse with the Speedmax bag.

The bento looks a bit small for me. YMMV

I'll give them props on increased rear tire clearance. So long as that tire is on a wide disc wheel and shielded by the seat tube there should be no measurable increase in drag but with potentially improved compliance.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:
so you can run wider tires and wider wheels. if you still run latex its nice to not pop your tires on a steep hill. Yes I have done it before with latex.

How wide do you need to go for a Tri/TT bike?

For the front, narrow is still aero. For the rear there's no downside to going wider so long as the tire is mounted to a suitably wide disc and properly shielded by the seat tube. The air back there is quite turbulent and, if anything, a wider surface would be easier to attach to and possibly aero positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting take on the bladder. These are probably things that people don't notice until they've owned the bike for a while and are never really covered in reviews. It would be interesting to see how much can fit inside the bento. I like having cliff bars with me and not sure they would fit. Hence the open-ness of the Speed Concepts bento is nice. Though I have lost gels and things when hitting a bump...

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like mono spacers just like the SC:

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying it's ugly...but this thing doesn't give me "German" vibes. It looks like an amalgamation of a bunch of other bikes and honestly screams open mold to be honest.

Noticed another bike with internal hydration!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 17, 20 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, back of pad.

Also, I don't think this changes the fact that this bike is lacking in reach. Cervelo, Scott, Orbea uses back of Pad. Specialized does use pad center. I prefer using back of pad

I am mentioning those bikes as they are recent updates. Scott, Orbea, and Specailized are able to build in 100mm+ of pad adjustment. Cervelo can get around 80mm of reach adjustment with the PX cockpit.

For me, the lack of reach adjustment is a miss from a fit stand point. and I am echoing a comment earlier where the bike is lacking in reach. I do love the hydration system (no idea how they got around the specialized patent, but it's a win in my book), as it enables a narrow fore arm position.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 17, 20 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I know what this made me think of...the Scott bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it funny, with this "beefy" bike look and oversized tubes, the riders seems rather small and tiny compared to the bike. I think that small athletes might look weird on this bike, as if they have a frame that is too big for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the GTN video the straw inside the bladder seems to be rigid, which will make it decently easy to put in IMO.

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
kenlenuiuc wrote:
What power meter does the disc model come with? I don't see it listed in the components section.

Bike radar lists it as 4iiii, or SRAM/quarq on the SRAM models.

Bike radar also lists the crank lengths I was looking for,

XS 165
S and M 170
L 172.5
XL 175

Shorter, but arguably not short enough.

For a good marketing company the website is short on details. No PM type mentioned or information on the crank to include length. Also it shows other colors on the landing page but you can't order those colors. Silly to show what I guess is custom colors and not be able to buy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
jn46 wrote:
kenlenuiuc wrote:
What power meter does the disc model come with? I don't see it listed in the components section.

Bike radar lists it as 4iiii, or SRAM/quarq on the SRAM models.

Bike radar also lists the crank lengths I was looking for,

XS 165
S and M 170
L 172.5
XL 175

Shorter, but arguably not short enough.

For a good marketing company the website is short on details. No PM type mentioned or information on the crank to include length. Also it shows other colors on the landing page but you can't order those colors. Silly to show what I guess is custom colors and not be able to buy them.

Yes, all seems a bit rushed.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished watching GTNs video as well as Lionel video. Must say I am impressed. They've addressed all the storage/toolkit/hydration issues all while making the frame decently faster (I think they quoted 9 watts?) for me this is a much better looking frame than the Scott and allows for narrow arm position which the new Scott did not (bento box between arms in the way). Could be my next Superbike if my questions below get answers!

Couple concerns I have are:
1. Are there options to choose different crank lengths during purchase? I think the trend now is towards shorter cranks and the ones posted aren't short enough.
2. I need to see how easy it is to remove and refill the bladder. That looks like a nightmare if you get it wrong and are filling it with anything that is not pure water.
3. Any options for 3rd party bar extensions or are we locked into the canyon specific one?
4. Need more clarity on the tilt options for the bars. I noticed immediately that Lionel high hands position on previous speedmax changed to flat due to possible lack of adjustability. During press conference in GTN video the boys from canyon said "and this spacer gives 13 to 14 degrees tilt" then mentioned something about 30 degrees but didn't show that spacer.
5. Needs more clarity on reach adjustment. Can more be achieved with aftermarket pads or are we limited to the ergon pads.

Very excited about the new specific traveling bag!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Interesting take on the bladder. These are probably things that people don't notice until they've owned the bike for a while and are never really covered in reviews. It would be interesting to see how much can fit inside the bento. I like having cliff bars with me and not sure they would fit. Hence the open-ness of the Speed Concepts bento is nice. Though I have lost gels and things when hitting a bump...

Yeah but that's a bento problem, not a bike problem. One can always find a better bento if you need one that's larger, smaller, more secure, etc. To that end I think the monopost should have been wider, deeper, and snug up close to where one might mount a conventional bento. That's just my $0.02. Canyon's solution definitely looks clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not saying it's ugly...but this thing doesn't give me "German" vibes. It looks like an amalgamation of a bunch of other bikes and honestly screams open mold to be honest.

Noticed another bike with internal hydration!

...I wonder what Specialized is doing with their patent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Based on the GTN video the straw inside the bladder seems to be rigid, which will make it decently easy to put in IMO.

I still very much have my doubts...
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [miken7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do people think it needs to be standard to have Disc brakes on a TT bike lol? Either way I look forward to buying one of these that has been ridden twice for half price next offseason.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [miken7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miken7 wrote:
Just finished watching GTNs video as well as Lionel video. Must say I am impressed. They've addressed all the storage/toolkit/hydration issues all while making the frame decently faster (I think they quoted 9 watts?) for me this is a much better looking frame than the Scott and allows for narrow arm position which the new Scott did not (bento box between arms in the way). Could be my next Superbike if my questions below get answers!

Couple concerns I have are:
1. Are there options to choose different crank lengths during purchase? I think the trend now is towards shorter cranks and the ones posted aren't short enough.
2. I need to see how easy it is to remove and refill the bladder. That looks like a nightmare if you get it wrong and are filling it with anything that is not pure water.
3. Any options for 3rd party bar extensions or are we locked into the canyon specific one?
4. Need more clarity on the tilt options for the bars. I noticed immediately that Lionel high hands position on previous speedmax changed to flat due to possible lack of adjustability. During press conference in GTN video the boys from canyon said "and this spacer gives 13 to 14 degrees tilt" then mentioned something about 30 degrees but didn't show that spacer.
5. Needs more clarity on reach adjustment. Can more be achieved with aftermarket pads or are we limited to the ergon pads.

Very excited about the new specific traveling bag!

If you look at Jan's in the GTN video he has custom extensions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parts of it remind me of the CUBE TT bike...the BB & top tube sorta look similar.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Nov 17, 20 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the Lionel video...the bladder has an easy refill spot.

Could use some work on the paint job generally, however this is already growing on me. The Shiv took forever for me to be about, not really into the sail still, but it's not as bad anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Yeah but that's a bento problem, not a bike problem. One can always find a better bento if you need one that's larger, smaller, more secure, etc. To that end I think the monopost should have been wider, deeper, and snug up close to where one might mount a conventional bento. That's just my $0.02. Canyon's solution definitely looks clean.

If you want a bigger bento, the CF is a great solution I would think? Not sure why they would go to all these lengths to make a bike more integrated then make it thicker and more aero and give add on solutions.

But no bike is a perfect solution for everyone, obviously. But I would think the CF with some changes could be super slick as well. Complete with bento changing capability.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little unhappy with the front end. It's just a little... beefy. I also don't like the spacers for angling the extensions. I think the tilt system at the axis of the pads is a much better way to go than at the grip handles alone as this bike has. The big scoop-style arm pads that are an add on for the future are interesting, but for $8000 from a DTC brand like Canyon, I don't want to buy ANYTHING else after spending almost as much (or more) than competitors. It's a bit heavy, a bit fat looking, and not exactly innovative on the fit adjustability. I think the standard for front ends is the TriRig Alpha X at this point, and anything new (since that bar came out), should be as good or better. That does not appear to be the case to me here. The new Orbea is better looking and cheaper, with what looks like better adjustability, and the new Scott's weirdness and chunkiness look like the winner between it and the more bland Canyon, to me. Ultimately, it's a little disappointing to me. I like it, I'd ride it, but I wouldn't buy it over the other stuff on the market at that price. A QR PRSix disc with a TriRig bar or the Orbea outright are the winners in value/looks to me at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

9-10 watts faster than the old Speedmax is impressive. Though I'm not sure we ever really had a clear picture of where the old Speedmax was compared to the Speed Concept, P5, etc.

Tour Magazin did a comparative test

Digitising their numbers and plugging into Kona course model for a 4hr rider (45kph) puts the old Speedmax 12w behind the P5-Three rim brake.
So 9-10w improvement means Canyon are now into the range of the top flight bikes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next