Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite heavy, p5d is lighter no?

Also is it uci legal?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Canyon really.knows how to marketing holy hell. The other companies are light years behind

Well I guess this is why Canyon is called a pure marketing company. The focus is not really on innovative bikes but it is marketing, marketing and marketing. And people like that.
Buying big commericals, all of the big athletes and having an entire Instagram, Facebook and other social media team makes a pretty basic bike, made in China looking like a top of the market model.

I am surely not one of those Canyon-Haters, also I am not against Online-Only-Brands but to be honest, the first Speedmax was a pretty good bike for the money. But the last and the new Speedmax model are pretty basic bikes with the main focus on marketing. But by now they cost as much as a prestigious Cervelo, S-Works or Scott. I would expect a bit more considering that I can only buy it from an online shop.

Still happy for everyone who loves their canyons
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Canyon Speedmax CF really got the short straw when its paint color was chosen. The black one looks a bit odd for some reason...Aint no one riding a yellow bike. And then there is the "Non-Mint" which is somewhat ok but not my first choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
Quite heavy, p5d is lighter no?

Also is it uci legal?

Yes P5 can go a decent chunk under 9kg.

Watching the live feed it does still like a good step forward as a 'complete' solution for a tri bike.

However, I can't help but feel that the CF is the real winner here. Same aero as the old bike but with disc brakes, amazing storage and all the adjustability/interchangeability that we all like. Plus a lot cheaper and its the same weight as the CFR despite heavier components

EDIT: and with PM included too
EDIT: According to Cycling Weekly, there's a UCI legal version on it's way too
Last edited by: Polo_1272: Nov 17, 20 3:04
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Cona4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got to see the bike a few weeks back. Finishing wise, I'd say it's a touch above the current Speedmax (which I own). Feels like a real superbike although the disc integration could probably have been done better.

My two biggest questions:
- Is this new front end really adjustable or will we be limited in terms of non-Canyon pads and extension bars? I don't see how someone could fit something else?
- What are the thoughts geometry wise? Feels like a much 'shorter' bike relative to the old model?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had pretty much decided to get the CF with ultegra di2, based on the old models geo.

Unfortunately I'm out, frame stack has increased and effective stack increased more due to the tilting bracket on the di2 model. The price increase can't be ignored as well. Worth paying just that bit more now and getting a p series with local dealer support. Nice looking bikes though. I'm probably about to put in an order for an end of year p3x with 30% off.

I can't see crank length listed anywhere, despite the website mentioning they've reduced them across the line, and the geo charts need updating to clarify if it's back or mid pad, but they do seem to be shorter and higher, just when we hoped stuff would start to get long and low again...

Looking at the models for me there are two that standout:

1. The cf slx 8 as the superbike. Not sure why you'd pay more? Leave cash in the bank for a disc wheel and the extended arm pad upgrade available.

2. The entry level CF 7 as the mortal bike. This already has SRAM hydro, so easily upgraded with some used 11 speed etap down the line.
Last edited by: jn46: Nov 17, 20 3:53
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
The price increase can't be ignored as well. Worth paying just that bit more now and getting a p series with local dealer support. .

ThatĀ“s right!
For almost the same money you can get an Cervelo P5 or a S-Works Shiv including a professional fit assistant, a shop where you can always come by and even a mechanic that is willing to repair your bike at any time.

I mean you can clearly see the marketing strategy from Canyon here. Their first Speedmax came with Di2 and a Lightweight Autobahn Disc for just under 10k since they are online retail only.
Now they try to sell their bikes at similar price points such as the top of the range models that you could get from professional retailers.

To me this bike is a clear copy and paste design from all the big brands with a pretty mainstream design in order to not scare anyone off.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
stevej wrote:
I think some mfg's have over thought, over engineered, and just made things way more complicated in the effort to create something "special".

Keep it simple and check all the boxes (aesthetics, aero, adjustability, storage, travel).

IMO thereā€™s still low-hanging fruit to be had with comfort. With some thought, you can ā€œhideā€ round bottles from the wind on the DT and ST (similar to what BMC did with their last aero road bike) and, letā€™s face it, round bottles are just very convenient and having them in the DT/ST area is very convenient.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the comfort low-hanging fruit.

Iā€™m working on something so Iā€™ll keep my thoughts to myself ;) Maybe next April/May Iā€™ll have something to share.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are these little rubber pieces that stick out and seem to be only for SRAM levers

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your going to spend $8k or more you should be able to get another color than black and white. My wife was digging the pink one but its a lower model with half-assed wires sticking out all over the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious to see how the TT model is going to look like.

Prices have increased basically to the level of competition. No frameset/module option? Disappointed.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
If your going to spend $8k or more you should be able to get another color than black and white. My wife was digging the pink one but its a lower model with half-assed wires sticking out all over the place.

And the cabling doesn't get better with the etap CF, if you look at the close ups. A stem and bar change would clean it up, but at significant extra cost. It's a shame they couldn't have cleaned this up with a stem with a removable plate. I think the slx is a step forward, the CF seems a bit of an afterthought....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon needs to update the geometry legend. But assuming the pad x and pad y are correct in the chart, this bike appears to be lacking a bit of reach.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 17, 20 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
What are these little rubber pieces that stick out and seem to be only for SRAM levers

Have a look at Lionel's youtube video at ~3.10. They look like basebar shifting switches to me. Don't recall seeing them before.. something new from sram?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I'd completely missed they had been released then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It feels like Canyon finished the new CF and only then realized they needed to wire in a front brake so they drilled a few hole and sent it away hoping no one would notice. In the same motion they killed off the rim brake version of the CF SLX because it would have looked super slick in comparison.

I was actually really hoping they would put the rim brake SLX's on sale as they would have sat very awkwardly in the price range. Looks like they have just eliminated them entirely, including from the outlet, which seems a shame given how good they were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think whether the bike has enough reach or not depends on your fit

Let's compare it to the P5D

1. The reach is around 40-50mm shorter for an equivalent size for Cervelo
2. Minimum seat height is much higher on the Speedmax, limiting your ability to size up (if you are a shorter rider with long reach, which I am, so I am looking at this)
3. Pad reach adjustment is the same as the default P5D cockpit, but much less than the P5X cockpit.

Eitherway, I won't be able to duplicate my triathlon fit coordinates on the Speedmax, and only able to duplicate my UCI legal position. So, for me, the new speedmax is lacking in reach.

I can definitely make it work (decrease stack further, to compensate for reduction in reach), but I'd like to to see more reach adjustment possibility on the bike

Update: for what it's worth, Canyon's height / inseam calculator seems to work. It's telling me You are exceeding the recommended adjustment range of the specified seatpost. Unfortunately, we cannot ensure a proper fit on this bike.
Please select a different model.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 17, 20 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this new model SLX is heavier than the old but the bento is more Aero Is think & were they weighing the old SLX without the bento at 8.7 kg? Being ST it seems weight is a tad less on the ladder than ā€œaeroā€ if that is indeed where the 9 watts savings (claimed) is coming from.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
so you can run wider tires and wider wheels. if you still run latex its nice to not pop your tires on a steep hill. Yes I have done it before with latex.

How wide do you need to go for a Tri/TT bike?

The Aerocoach tyre tests show little between the 23mm and 25mm Corsa Speeds for rolling resistance. I am not sure any event I would need 30mm+ tyres that a TT/Tri bike would be the go to bike. I haven't done to many Tri bike friendly courses where prolonged braking has occurred at an amount where rim heating would be a huge issue, though I guess there maybe some courses. Not sure the modulation etc is a game changer on a tri bike. The opening TT in the Giro had a very high-speed decent with some technical elements but we didn't really see the disc brake bikes advantages shine through.

The move to disc brakes and the price hike involved does seem to be killing the good value aerobike with leading aero credentials. Here in the UK the Giant Trinity, Trek Speedconcepts and old rim brake P series Cervelo's have been very popular as they are more reasonably priced (around the Ā£2k to 2.5k frameset point) and when setup well are pretty clean cable wise and give great aero performance. The current wave of disc bikes there are fewer options in this price bracket and those around the same price like the P series cervelo and SL Canyon seem the have a lot of exposed cables.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That computer mount looks like some kind of weird periscope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What power meter does the disc model come with? I don't see it listed in the components section.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And is it just me or all the pros riding the new bike seem worse fit wise than on the prior model?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
I think whether the bike has enough reach or not depends on your fit

Let's compare it to the P5D

1. The reach is around 40-50mm shorter for an equivalent size for Cervelo
2. Minimum seat height is much higher on the Speedmax, limiting your ability to size up (if you are a shorter rider with long reach, which I am, so I am looking at this)

1: The Canyon reach chart is the BACK of the pads. Are you factoring this in when comparing fit co-ordinates which are often to mid pad (i.e. 40-50mm more)? Cervelo specs this the same way of course so it is a bit shorter
2: Min seat height - I used to have the previous Speedmax and the min seat height was dictated by the rear bottle adapter attachment. If you ran with a conventional aftermarket saddle mounted version, you could get the seatpost lower. I don't know if this is the same on this new version but since the bottle mount looks the same, I assume it might be.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [kenlenuiuc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kenlenuiuc wrote:
What power meter does the disc model come with? I don't see it listed in the components section.

Bike radar lists it as 4iiii, or SRAM/quarq on the SRAM models.

Bike radar also lists the crank lengths I was looking for,

XS 165
S and M 170
L 172.5
XL 175

Shorter, but arguably not short enough.
Quote Reply

Prev Next