Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be snow. And 6 hours of "daylight". Sounds like what I need, I'm in...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will there be an Official Airing of Grievances 100/100 *Covid-19 Edition* thread? If not, I'm not participating.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
rubleka wrote:
This challenge sounds interesting to me having just started a small run streak of my own. I'd like more clarification on "honest effort walk/run. I walk/run almost all my runs, 30 sec walk, 90 sec run. Would this count in this challenge?

Its all on the honor system, and this is a challenge, not a competition. I think 90/30 is fine...maybe on the edge of being a lot of walking with 25% of each session being . But, I'd also think about why you are walking every 90 seconds---and perhaps, slow down to allow you to run for longer or other appropos modifications. As longer (perhaps easier) bouts of running with less walking will have some benefits over the 90/30 framework.

Some people have handled these situations by simply totaling up the run-only time in walk-runs. So, 20 repeats of your 90/30 cycle to get your 30min of running.

In the old rules, only runninng time counted. It meant that you have to execute the opposite of race walking. In race walking one foot MUST remain on the ground at all times. In the old 100/100 rules, for a stride count as running, both feet must leave the ground on every stride. I felt that was a fair defintion of what running is and it left nothig to interpretation. I am against walking time counting (even honour system), just like I would be against Ebike time counting as biking in a bike challenge. Its not the sport the challenge is about.

Two years ago I used the 100/100 as rehab to get back into running. My goal was a single 30 min continuous run outside by the end of the challenge. Intially I started with 5x1 min jogging with as much rest as I needed on the treadmill and then 10x1, then 8x2, then 10x2, then 6x3....eventually got to 6x5 then 2x15.....then ventured outdoors in the last week and got it done. But did not count any walking time. To me, that's not the sport I was trying to get back into. The jogging was barely faster than a fast walk....we're talking 7-8kph, but it was jogging and that mattered (at least to me). Later that year, I did 5 Olympic tris and a half IM ...no steps of walking just running.

Part of the reason for the original rule of "no walking" was to train the mind for races that are really hard and stick to the mindset of not walking at all. When you do it 100 days in a row, it gets beaten into the head and when you're at mile 22, up a hill, in 35C heat and you want to walk, well, you know that "walking is not an option"....so there was a reason why I had originally excluded walking from the old rules.

But hey, its all a personal challenge, people can do what they want if it helps them gain fitness.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take inspirational 100/100 comeback stories for 1000, Alex.

Oh sorry....

You had a debilitating back disorder (oh....and got run over by a bus).

I had some still unknown foot disorder that magically went away (Oh...and had heart surgery).

"What is a debilitating back disorder (oh....and getting run over by a bus)."

"What is a still unknown foot disorder that magically went away (Oh...and having heart surgery)."
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 26, 20 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t-minus 19 days!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long-time lurker of the challenge, finally biting the bullet and signing up. I need something to get me motivated, and this is exactly the kind of challenge that will do that. I'm nothing if not motivated by challenges. Even my wife said it was a good idea. We'll see if she changes her mind.

Now to stock up on cold weather running gear and strategize. I'm thinking of adding a couple of additional goals:

- Lose 10 lbs. (seems like it will probably take care of itself running 100 runs of 3 mi. or more)
- Only single days off (Thought about no days off, but after reading the suggestions above, thinking single days off only, i.e. not two in a row, is more attainable but still challenging)

What other goals have previous participants set?

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
Only single days off (Thought about no days off, but after reading the suggestions above, thinking single days off only, i.e. not two in a row, is more attainable but still challenging)

My results in previous challenges have been in the 70-80 run range; basically running 5 days out of 7

This would mean [in theory] Saturday & Sunday, take Monday off, then Tues-Weds-Thurs and Friday off

To be honest though, I've come into the past few with pretty heavy streaks already going on, so once those broke, I took more days off towards the end, as I was in good shape for at least a bronze medal [70 runs/100 days]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'll take inspirational 100/100 comeback stories for 1000, Alex.

Oh sorry....

You had a debilitating back disorder (oh....and got run over by a bus).

I had some still unknown foot disorder that magically went away (Oh...and had heart surgery).

"What is a debilitating back disorder (oh....and getting run over by a bus)."

"What is a still unknown foot disorder that magically went away (Oh...and having heart surgery)."

I detect you have a sub 40 min 10km planned for March 2021 now that the pipes are clear!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I detect you have a sub 40 min 10km planned for March 2021 now that the pipes are clear!!!

Well...and attempt, yes. But, its planned for 12 Feb, my surgery day. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to do a 5000m baseline before the challenge. Currently my best post rehab is 22:29. I would like to see how close to 22 I can get it before challenge and hopefully take it to 21.xx afterwards. As it stands I need to take off 6 seconds per km to get sub 22. Maybe if I can lose 8-10 lbs during the challenge then I'm done!!!

Good luck on Feb 12th. Will we have Steve Fleck doing a livestream with expert commentary from Slowman and some IAAF judges at the track. Track spikes or springy shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am going to do a 5000m baseline before the challenge. Currently my best post rehab is 22:29. I would like to see how close to 22 I can get it before challenge and hopefully take it to 21.xx afterwards. As it stands I need to take off 6 seconds per km to get sub 22. Maybe if I can lose 8-10 lbs during the challenge then I'm done!!!

Good luck on Feb 12th. Will we have Steve Fleck doing a livestream with expert commentary from Slowman and some IAAF judges at the track. Track spikes or springy shoes?

You hurt my head with your mixed units. m, Km, and lbs. :-) 2.5 kilos should do it...along with a some race-pace work.

Springy shoes---Standard ASICS training shoe. I don't have a fancy racing shoe.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 28, 20 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, keep it that way-compare apples to apples...for the 10K attempt.

(*I'm rooting for you-go Tom!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Doc! 12 Feb seems like it's forever away...until you pin it onto a training calendar.

14 weeks = 3x 4 week blocks, + 2 week taper.

Make every session count.

PS: The ticker seems to be working like I remember.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 28, 20 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for moving up the 100/100 2020 Challenge! T-minus 10 Days! Instead of "Airing a Grievance" I'm going to "Air an Enhancement" to the 100/100 Challenge. I'm going to aim for losing 15 to 20 pounds (currently 183 lbs, 5' 10") over the course of the challenge. And I'm starting today, 10 days prior to the Challenge. And I'm not prescribing to any fad diets -- just going to count calories using MyFitnessPal and not eat junk food at night. That alone should do it I suspect. And, of course, I'm going to make sure to properly fuel pre and post Run. Anyone please feel free to join me :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmmmmmmmmmm
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I'm going to make sure to properly fuel pre and post Run. Anyone please feel free to join me :-)

To that respect, I'm just going to try to maintain a healthy weight, and not drop down too much, becoming even more of a "skinny little shit"

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, as in years past, I have a template for bibs ready and I'll be posting up on my IG shortly [along with some other things I have going on in November]

PM me if you want one

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Thanks for moving up the 100/100 2020 Challenge! T-minus 10 Days! Instead of "Airing a Grievance" I'm going to "Air an Enhancement" to the 100/100 Challenge. I'm going to aim for losing 15 to 20 pounds (currently 183 lbs, 5' 10") over the course of the challenge. And I'm starting today, 10 days prior to the Challenge. And I'm not prescribing to any fad diets -- just going to count calories using MyFitnessPal and not eat junk food at night. That alone should do it I suspect. And, of course, I'm going to make sure to properly fuel pre and post Run. Anyone please feel free to join me :-)

Sounds like a good goal. I'm at 186 and would like to get down to 165 for next spring. I've had success before with the 100/100 challenge and using MyFitnessPal (although i find logging dinners hard). Good luck with both.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm cutting too. At 193.0lbs earlier today. I'm looking to cut to my typical training weight of 185.0lbs. I'm 72.5in.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back this year for my second attempt at 100/100, managed 76 runs last year after humming and hahhing over whether or not to join in having watched from the side lines for a few years!

Hoping that this will get me back into a bit of a better shape having become a dad to twins 6 months ago (should be a little easier in some ways setting my goal to just hit the minimum run distance each day and having a treadmill for the awful weather days we get in NE England, UK!)

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I'm going to make sure to properly fuel pre and post Run. Anyone please feel free to join me :-)

To that respect, I'm just going to try to maintain a healthy weight, and not drop down too much, becoming even more of a "skinny little shit"

Baselined it today: 5'6"; 142

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the biggest mass participation sporting event this year on ST starts tomorrow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So the biggest mass participation sporting event this year on ST starts tomorrow?

yup! i'm ready.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the stuff around the world being cancelled, we started this entire virtual event thing way back with some "virtual ST training camps" in around 2004....this thing started in Dec 2006 from the virtual ST Xmas overtraining camp that you may recall I built out based on some of the other virtual camps you started....then from there it went to 50 days of running in a row and then to 100. But we leveraged the internet when there was no virus to get people together to do sport.

I think if you have time, a front page article on "the oldest virtual endurance event" in the world starts NOW would be awesome.

When there was no virus we used the internet to bring people from around the world to do the same thing (run 100 days). We did that because we had the same mindset, but our local training partner may not, but some guy in Japan or Orange County or Cairns may. So we were industry leaders and "covid19" proof before all these followers used neccessity and being worried about health and death to go virtual. We used the internet to bring people together when no one asked us to, and no virus forced us to. We just did it because it made sense and the internet was there to bring like minded humans together.

I'll use the old Military motto, "Friendship through sport". By converging the sport and the internet, that's what we were able to initiate.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So excited!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next