Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Sris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance. Planning on getting the canyon speedmax, I’m 167cm, currently riding a cervelo s3 51 with 90mm stem and an XS Ritte with 110mm

Should I get the XS or Small?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Yesterday I had a retul size cycle performed and here are my measurements, I appreciate the recommendation. I attached the measurements if that helps you.

By looking at the geometry posted on the Canyon website I think a medium fits me well but am wondering if the frame reach is too long even though the Pad X measurement fits well.

5'11" tall
729 saddle height
Frame Stack 522-542
Frame Reach 394-414
Pad Y APS 656
Pad X APR 479 to the center of the pad (429 to the front of the pad)

I'd appreciate CF and SLX recommendations.

Thank you in advance,
Ken

Last edited by: kenlenuiuc: Nov 11, 20 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [dfrancoanzola] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Douglas,
Your legs are pretty long for your height, that's not a problem but a fact to keep in mind, and one that helps me prescribe the right SLX.

I think your Pad Y is around 613 and your Pad X should be about 522 to the center of the pad which is how Canyon currently measures their bikes.

For the Canyon Speedmax SLX you need a size Medium, with the short stem that comes stock, 20mm of arm pad pedestal, pads back 1 hole from max extension. What's great about this is that you have lots of room to move in the up/down of the pads (25mm higher or 20mm lower). The cockpit can come shorter by a lot and longer by 1cm with that stem and out into the either with the long stem if you needed it and I highly doubt you would.

I worry (suspect?) that this bike might arrive with 175mm cranks on it. You fit/comfort/power/aero position will be so, so, so much better with 155mm cranks (probably optimal), 160mm (adequate), 165 if you had to.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Sris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Howdy Ian
Thanks you for doing a great job helping people to find the right fit. I am a newbie and need help. I was thinking of buying a new CF or SLX. I went to a local bike fitter in FL and got measured.
Saddle height 753
Arm pad stack 669
Frame stack 551
Frame reach 376
Arm pad width 231
Arm pad reach 427
I am 172 cm tall
He recommended CF small size and said that SLX may not be ideal fit. He said something about not being able to adjust the SLX model.
What do you recommend? Really appreciate your time and effort. Thanks a lot.

Sris,
I think it's polite to answer the question that was asked. I'm gonna do that now but I BEG YOU or read my text below this prescription.

Canyon SLX with a Pad Y of 669 and a Pad X of 477 (Canyon measures to the middle o' the pad so I add 50mm to get to that spot). You'd be on a size Large, you'd use the short stem that comes stock on that bike, you'd need to order an aftermarket item called a TSP to bring the pads back even further than normal and then you'd mount the pads 1 hole forward of 100% of the way back.

Canyon CF with that 669/477 combo: size large to get to the 669 and then you'd have to swap out the 90mm stem that comes stock and get an 80mm...and... ugg! Look, I'm gonna stop typing because... well, read below.

I'm deeply, deeply suspicious of your Pad Y (pad stack) and Pad X (pad reach). At 172cm tall I would suspect your Pad Y to be more like 615ish. That 669 seems dubious. I would also think your Pad X should be out somewhere around 460 (to rear of pad) and not 427.

I'd like to ask some foundational questions:
1) Do you have a sever lower back issue like 3 or more fused vertebrae in lumbar or lower thoracic spine or a combination thereof?
2) Was your fit done on a dynamic fit bike, one where the fitter could move to while you were pedaling?
3) What saddle was used during your fit, where were you sitting on that saddle and was that spot comfortable?

I'm willing to bet your a normal guy with no glaring body issues, injuries, surgeries, limitations. I think you're fit might have gone awry somewhere and I think you were never given the opportunity to ride "steep" with your hips nearly over the bottom bracket. Had you been afforded the "triathlon position" your arms would have been farther forward and lower.

Had you written in saying "I'm a newbie, I live in the boondocks, can't get fit, I only know my height, my inseam, and my astrological sign I would have come back with Pad Y 605ish and Pad X 510 (to pad center) and then I'd write...

Your Canyon Speedmax SLX should be a size Medium, short stem, 15mm of pedestal, and pads set one hole back of center. You can also fit on a Small but the Medium is better (more room to adjust in all directions).

Your Canyon Speedmax CF should be a Medium and you should push the pads out nearly to the max.

I'm here for you. I'm not just a bike fitter, I've been a full time triathlon coach for over 20 years, I'm one of only 20 USAT Level III Certified Coaches - I love helping people into this sport. Please take a sec to tell me about your fit and let's see if we can find out why the numbers are so far outside the norm.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply. I got a retul fitting. May have gotten the number incorrectly. Will send you my file by email. Let me know if you can coach me as well.
I don’t have any problem with my spine. I have had clavicle fracture and have narrow shoulders.
In Reply To:
Thanks
Sri
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [korn_bo2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks in advance. Planning on getting the canyon speedmax, I’m 167cm, currently riding a cervelo s3 51 with 90mm stem and an XS Ritte with 110mm
Should I get the XS or Small?

korn_bo2,
If you get the SLX get the small and use the short stem that comes stock, add in 20mm of pedestal, and one or two holes back from max length in the pad position and I think you'll be close to perfect.

If you get the CF get the small, the 80mm stem that comes stock should be perfect and you'll want the 25mm spacer that's under the stem which is good as it leave the top of the stem flush with the top of the bento.

Ian

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [kenlenuiuc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
Yesterday I had a retul size cycle performed and here are my measurements, I appreciate the recommendation. I attached the measurements if that helps you.
By looking at the geometry posted on the Canyon website I think a medium fits me well but am wondering if the frame reach is too long even though the Pad X measurement fits well.
5'11" tall
729 saddle height
Frame Stack 522-542
Frame Reach 394-414
Pad Y APS 656

Ken,
If you want the "super bike", the SLX then it's a size Large with 25mm of pedestal. That will give you the Pad Y you need. This bike comes stock with the short stem which is what you need but you need an aftermarket item that Canyon sells (I have a couple here in my fit studio too if you get stuck) called a TSP or Team Switch Plate. That little add-on will get your pads back to the 479 you need.

If you want the "mortal bike", the CF then it's a Medium and the 80mm stem that comes stock on that will be perfect. It gives you a nice, central location so if you want to tweak the position up/down/fore/aft you'll have room to move in all directions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sris,

Send the fit sheet that you got when you left and any pics/vids you have from that fitting. Let's find out what's happening with that fit. Ian - at - teamtts.com

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Hi Ian,
5'11" tall
729 saddle height
Frame Stack 522-542
Frame Reach 394-414
Pad Y APS 656

Ken,
If you want the "super bike", the SLX then it's a size Large with 25mm of pedestal. That will give you the Pad Y you need. This bike comes stock with the short stem which is what you need but you need an aftermarket item that Canyon sells (I have a couple here in my fit studio too if you get stuck) called a TSP or Team Switch Plate. That little add-on will get your pads back to the 479 you need.

If you want the "mortal bike", the CF then it's a Medium and the 80mm stem that comes stock on that will be perfect. It gives you a nice, central location so if you want to tweak the position up/down/fore/aft you'll have room to move in all directions.

Ian

Is the medium seat minimum height going to work for me? I was measured a 729 while the minimum listed is 731.

Best,
Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [kenlenuiuc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is the medium seat minimum height going to work for me? I was measured a 729 while the minimum listed is 731.

On the CF Medium the minimum seat height is 720. Which bike are you considering?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken, I need to call in on this tomorrow. The minimum seat height on my documents differ from what's on-line. Let me look deeper.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Ken, I need to call in on this tomorrow. The minimum seat height on my documents differ from what's on-line. Let me look deeper.

Ian

Thank you I appreciate it. They have 731 listed.

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Ian

Ian,

I called Canyon support today and the gentleman went straight to the chart posted on their product page and stated that 731 mm is the minimum. If that is true would I be a size small with the 90 mm stem?

Best,
Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, thanks for doing this!

6'1" Tall
32" Inseam
Arm pad x from BB to back of pad: 413
Arm pad y: 668mm

Looking at a CF 8.0

Thank you!

-Alan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, could I get your size thoughts on my numbers as well!

When looking at the Speedmax CF SLX, I seem to not necessarily fit well on any of them.

Stack - 64.5cm
reach (centre of pads) - 48cm
saddle height - 72.8

When I look at the charts, it looks like a small has a pad stack range of 566-619, so that won't work.

A medium has a pad stack range of 595 - 648, so just barely makes it?

The medium has a saddle height range listed as 727 - 857, so apparently I'd literally be on the limit of getting my saddle low enough, and obviously puts a large out of range with a 761 min saddle height.

Am I just a bad fit for Canyon?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Nuttynant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, thanks for doing this!
6'1" Tall
32" Inseam
Arm pad x from BB to back of pad: 413
Arm pad y: 668mm
Looking at a CF 8.0
Thank you!

Alan,
Based on these number Pad Y of 668 and Pad Xr of 413 - it's a medium.

Here's my problem... I have a VERY clear image of you at 6'1" and 32" inseam, because I've fit hundreds of guys your size. Also, I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam. Based on everything I know your Pad Y should be closer to 650 and your Pad X should be closer to 450. If I'm wrong (I have been before, will again in the future, might be now) the Medium works, and if I'm right this medium will still fit you.

Of course I have to wonder why you are riding so "up and back" and not "down and forward" and I think of all the immediate questions I might ask like... what color of road bike with clip on aerobars were these numbers taken from? What saddle are you riding and where are you sitting on that saddle? How did you hurt back, the injury that caused you to have 4 fused vertebrae down low?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the laugh with that. It's a white road bike with clip ons!

No injuries yet (knock on wood), was fitted with a serfas rx+ but recently switched to an ism well after theae numbers were taken.

Sounds like I should go medium either way, so thank you. I'm not surprised my numbers are off, I've thought for years that my road bike was a bit too big for me as a road bike, and way too big as a tri bike.

Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy Ian,

I'm planning to buy a Canyon Speedmax to try some regional triathlons and TTs.
At the moment I have a road bike (Giant Propel in size L - 581 stack, 402 reach) and tried some clip on bars, but adjustability is too limited to feel comfortable.

190cm (6'3") tall
90cm (35") inseam

Inseam is quite regular for my size, but I have quite long arms.
I have no clue about my pad X and Y.

Is there a rule of thumb which pad X and Y is usual for my size?
Which Speedmax will fit? CF SL in size L?

Thank you very much!
Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I called Canyon support today and the gentleman went straight to the chart posted on their product page and stated that 731 mm is the minimum. If that is true would I be a size small with the 90 mm stem? The rest of my measurements are posted above. Thank you.

Best,
Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, love the look of the new Speedmax CFR and CF SLX. Wondering what size and configurations might suit me:
Pad y: 640
Pad x: 525
(Both measurements to back of pad)

Thanks in advance!

Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like its not as long and low as the rim bike was. Will there be multiple stem options again to compensate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I called Canyon support today and the gentleman went straight to the chart posted on their product page and stated that 731 mm is the minimum. If that is true would I be a size small with the 90 mm stem? The rest of my measurements are posted above. Thank you.

Best,
Ken

Ken, It seems there were two seat posts and the new one does limit the saddle height to 731. The max Pad Y on the small is 649 and the max Pad X is 472 (center). the way you'd make this work is you'd get a 80mm stem that come stock on this bike and you'd get a 90mm stem (not a Canyon stem) that is +6 degree in pitch and then the bike will fit you.

So, you're 5'11" and your seat height it 729. May I ask your inseam? Also could you send me your fit report? Ian - at - TeamTTS.com I would think your Pad Y would be something closer to 635 or 640 (that's not too far off your 656) and I would suspect your Pad X would be something more like 500 to center. I'm always curious what causes my formula to differ from a fit and my first thought is... what saddle was used on the fit and where were you sitting on it, if there's a pic in that fit report I'd like to see that too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, could I get your size thoughts on my numbers as well!
When looking at the Speedmax CF SLX, I seem to not necessarily fit well on any of them.
Stack - 64.5cm
reach (centre of pads) - 48cm
saddle height - 72.8
When I look at the charts, it looks like a small has a pad stack range of 566-619, so that won't work.
A medium has a pad stack range of 595 - 648, so just barely makes it?
The medium has a saddle height range listed as 727 - 857, so apparently I'd literally be on the limit of getting my saddle low enough, and obviously puts a large out of range with a 761 min saddle height.
Am I just a bad fit for Canyon?
Thx!

SBRcanuck, You are reading the prescriber correctly and I would argue that even getting the medium to 648 is a bummer because it requires an aftermarket item to lift you even further than the max of all the normal pieces. Are you a bad fit for a Canyon? No. This particular Canyon Speedmax SLX is a long and low bike and you need more of a longish and and taller bike. The Canyon Speedmax CF in a medium fits you VERY well. And, I've only been looking at the new numbers on the new disc brake Speedmax for 20min so I need more time to be sure but it looks like you'd fit on that bike well too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Nov 19, 20 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Nuttynant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh with that. It's a white road bike with clip ons!
No injuries yet (knock on wood), was fitted with a serfas rx+ but recently switched to an ism well after theae numbers were taken.
Sounds like I should go medium either way, so thank you. I'm not surprised my numbers are off, I've thought for years that my road bike was a bit too big for me as a road bike, and way too big as a tri bike.
Thanks for your input.

Nuttynant, This is great. Yes, your triathlon position is more forward - and when I say that I mean the whole body: hips more forward so that are nearly over the bottom bracket and therefore the upper body is more forward so the arm pads (and whole front end) is out front more and the, because all that is more forward now you can ride lower in the front end and be very comfortable (and more powerful and out of the wind a bit more). There are a couple of caveats on this: you gotta ride a saddle like the ism and you've got to ride it on the nose. You've gotta have cranks that are relatively short (if the cranks are long, then the bars can't be low).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [visafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Howdy Ian,
I'm planning to buy a Canyon Speedmax to try some regional triathlons and TTs.
At the moment I have a road bike (Giant Propel in size L - 581 stack, 402 reach) and tried some clip on bars, but adjustability is too limited to feel comfortable.
190cm (6'3") tall
90cm (35") inseam
Inseam is quite regular for my size, but I have quite long arms.
I have no clue about my pad X and Y.
Is there a rule of thumb which pad X and Y is usual for my size?
Which Speedmax will fit? CF SL in size L?
Thank you very much!
Regards

visafan,
All great questions, all good info - thank you. Right now I'm gonna keep this answer within two bicycles: the Canyon Speedmax SLX and the Canyon Speedmax CF. The SLX has been the "super bike" and the CF has been the "mortal bike". I'm being specific about this because I just received the numbers on the new disc brake Speedmax bikes that were released on Tuesday and I haven't spent enough time with them yet to feel confident prescribing that bike. I should by the end of the week.

Okay so, your Pad Y should be around 670 and your Pad X should be about 560 (center of pad. 510 to the rear).

For the rim brake SLX you're a size Large with 40mm of arm pad pedestal. That bike comes stock with the short stem but you'd need to purchase the long stem and mount the pads in the center holes.

For the rim brake CF it's the size XL and the Pad Y is no problem (you're right in the middle of the range) but the longest stem that Canyon makes this bike is a 90mm and that maxes out at the Pad X at 533 - you'd need to get 120mm stem and you'd have your cockpit set. The steer tube on the CF is the standard 1 1/8 and the base bar is the standard 31.8 so you can get almost any stem but I'd recommend the Profile-Design Aeria.

Don't hesitate to get back to me here with more question or if you'd like to hear what disc brake Speedmax would be right for you, I should be ready to speak to that this weekend.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next