Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, hard to tell as the angles are a bit different but the second position seems a bit more aggressive, judging on the knee at the top of the pedal stroke maybe coming a bit higher than the elbow?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found two more images. You can see in the second one he was able to get lower because the head tube size looks similar but given the 650 wheel, stack appears to be lower. Also I swear they stuck a Lionel style hydration systems in his back to fill the gap to his helmet...what do you think?

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am seeing things and both bikes are 650 front !!!! I believe Luc Van Lierde subsequently used a road version of the 650 fron/700 rear colnago in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ferrari wrote up some notes. https://www.53x12.com/rominger-s-hour

Take everything on that site with a grain of salt, but it would be weird to overtly lie about equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading about the "centrifuge effect" for larger riders over the hour. Key quote here

"Finally, at these speeds the one-hour record, with the 442 curves Tony had to negotiate, became a kind of a ride through a ‘centrifuge’. Carrying 15 kg in weight and 13 cm in height more than his rival, Indurain clearly suffered more from the centrifugal force in the curves. This would have been due to the increased rolling friction (which is directly proportional to weight, and through the curves at these speeds the combined weight of bike plus rider virtually doubles), as well as to a more difficult vein blood return from the legs to the heart due to Indurain’s greater height. "
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Because having fun and staying motivated key drivers.

He is still swimming and Daytona is the focus. Physiologically speaking getting into great 1hr bike shape and 5k speed shape aligns nicely with training demands of speed needs for Daytona.

Your strategy played out pretty well perfectly at Daytona. From a distance it looked like Lionel sat on his watts other than surges to pass competitors, and with no rest compared too those in the largely legal lead group he had the 2nd fasted bike and then he had legs to outrun many ITU top guns.

It looks like a lot of top athletes were not ready for 1:40 minutes bolted in the aero position with zero breaks (this must have seemed relatively easy for Lionel after the hour) and they paid with hamstring and calf cramping on the run. If this was a full half distance event with the longer bike and run, I think a lot of the others have slightly slower runs, but more importantly more real estate to make up time. It all bodes well for Kona next year.

So now with winter, does he get the 160km swimming per month program. 1 minute faster in the swim and this is a totally different race for Lionel given that he ends up coming to T2 with the lead bike group and not playing catch up continuously for 100km!!! He must have burnt the highest number of kilojoules per kilo of body weight of anyone in the race. Chapeau.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
tilburs wrote:
Because having fun and staying motivated key drivers.

He is still swimming and Daytona is the focus. Physiologically speaking getting into great 1hr bike shape and 5k speed shape aligns nicely with training demands of speed needs for Daytona.

Your strategy played out pretty well perfectly at Daytona. From a distance it looked like Lionel sat on his watts other than surges to pass competitors, and with no rest compared too those in the largely legal lead group he had the 2nd fasted bike and then he had legs to outrun many ITU top guns.

It looks like a lot of top athletes were not ready for 1:40 minutes bolted in the aero position with zero breaks (this must have seemed relatively easy for Lionel after the hour) and they paid with hamstring and calf cramping on the run. If this was a full half distance event with the longer bike and run, I think a lot of the others have slightly slower runs, but more importantly more real estate to make up time. It all bodes well for Kona next year.

So now with winter, does he get the 160km swimming per month program. 1 minute faster in the swim and this is a totally different race for Lionel given that he ends up coming to T2 with the lead bike group and not playing catch up continuously for 100km!!! He must have burnt the highest number of kilojoules per kilo of body weight of anyone in the race. Chapeau.

I thought Lionel had a really solid race tactically throughout and ran as well off the bike as we've seen. The specific bike TT work and chipping away at that run speed played off well.

However I'm not sure how many other opportunities there will be on a course that suits his strengths in a truly world class field? The extra 10km on the bike over 70.3 will be countered by the fact that there will be hills and a 12m draft rule which will suit the likely guys up front. And if that swim isn't under a 2 min deficit I think it's gonna be difficult judging by past 70.3 champs.

I still think he's got a World title (not ITU LD) in him, but only at Kona. I think now he's back with DTD the chances of that have went up an order of magnitude, so great work from the pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding his swim - sure this has been asked before, but is it physically possible for LS to get into the second or first pack at Kona?

As in, pretend the only thing he focused on was his swim. All he wanted to do was swim first pack and then drop out. I am interested from the point of view of how some people swim fast and some don’t.

Given the most fish start so young, and given that he seems to have hit the ceiling, is it a pipe dream that he might ever improve his swim in a material way.

What is it about swimming that is such a mystery to some people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Ummmm.... we´ll see about 160k swim months, but swim will for sure be a topic of discussion.

Cheers.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Regarding his swim - sure this has been asked before, but is it physically possible for LS to get into the second or first pack at Kona?

As in, pretend the only thing he focused on was his swim. All he wanted to do was swim first pack and then drop out. I am interested from the point of view of how some people swim fast and some don’t.

Given the most fish start so young, and given that he seems to have hit the ceiling, is it a pipe dream that he might ever improve his swim in a material way.

In fairness to Lionel, at tremblant 70.3 World's in 2014 he was 4.5 minutes behind Gomez, and yesterday he was 3.5 minutes behind. In both races he bike-ran his way up to 4th overall but this time he was 1:10 off the win, not 5 minutes behind the win (and he beat Javier, who won 70.3 World's in 2014)

To get 1.5 minutes behind (cut deficit by 2 min), he has to rougly swim 6 seconds faster per 100m. But part of that is getting your first 50m and first 200m time way faster, and I don't have any idea what his 50m time is relative to Brownlee or Schoeman.

I believe in advance of Daytona in Lionel's interviews he said his best chance of the win was combinig the hour record training with 5000m run training and he roughly said the swim will be what it will be. He totally delivered on exactly what he said he would do and was close enough that 2nd was a possibility.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 7, 20 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel going to for the Canadian Hour Record [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Thank you.

Ummmm.... we´ll see about 160k swim months, but swim will for sure be a topic of discussion.

Cheers.

Well you guys proved the strategy for Hour record + 5000m put him in the realm of the race win in spite of whatever swim he gets. That was hugely impressive to play catch up for every meter of 100km. This is a really tough way to race with zero opportunity to let up in a group be it on the bike or run.

We need to push WTC for a 20m Kona draft rule. This was awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

In fairness to Lionel, at tremblant 70.3 World's in 2014 he was 4.5 minutes behind Gomez, and yesterday he was 3.5 minutes behind. In both races he bike-ran his way up to 4th overall but this time he was 1:10 off the win, not 5 minutes behind the win (and he beat Javier, who won 70.3 World's in 2014)

To get 1.5 minutes behind (cut deficit by 2 min), he has to rougly swim 6 seconds faster per 100m. But part of that is getting your first 50m and first 200m time way faster, and I don't have any idea what his 50m time is relative to Brownlee or Schoeman.

I believe in advance of Daytona in Lionel's interviews he said his best chance of the win was combinig the hour record training with 5000m run training and he roughly said the swim will be what it will be. He totally delivered on exactly what he said he would do and was close enough that 2nd was a possibility.

I doubt Gomez is as fast in the water as he was in '14 (although I could be wrong). Is he a minute slower? unlikely, but he's probably somewhat slower.

Lionel has improved his swim quite a bit, but he's never going to have that fluidity that pure swimmers have. He just seems to be very rigidly built. I'd guess he's probably no going to get any faster in the water, but then neither are his current competition.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next