Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I've got that on my Edge 530. (At least I *think* that's what it is). You're right though the other stuff, I don't need. I'm still gonna hope against hope that they give me a big square screen option on the next one. My 920 isn't going to live forever
ClimbPro has been on the 530 for about a year. It is awesome. But, it only shows up when you ride an uploaded course.

I think the square screen is long gone. Every other device is round now, except for the Apple Watch.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think the square screen is long gone. Every other device is round now, except for the Apple Watch.

Which is too bad. Round makes sense for an analog watch where dials go in a circle and the internals are concentric. But for a data screen, round is dumb for the same reason we don't have round computer monitors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

This recently released from Garmin https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/707174

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
My 935 just crapped itself after some very loyal service.
Happy to shell out now for a 945 but if a new model is imminent would prefer to hold off.
I realize garmin tends to keep things pretty tight....but if anyone has any advice please feel free to share!!

I'm in the same position. My 935 is 3.5 year's old, and stopped working. I did a full factory reset, and it now works again, but not well in the pool.... I think the issue is water ingress on the button seals. I really don't want to buy a 945 if a new model is being launched soon. Luckily, I managed to buy a Garmin Swim 2 half price. I use the Swim 2 in the pool, and my 935 for all other sports.

I think that the 955 could be released at CES in January. If not, the normal 2 year cycle would see a launch in April 2021. My first event will be IM Lanzarote, and hopefully will get it before then

I've been impressed with the Swim 2 so far. I love its small form factor, it feels nicer to use when swimming. I also like the swimming wrist strap HRM.... I hated the Swimming chest strap on the 935, and rarely used it. I know that the 945 also has wrist HRM for swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
Happy to shell out now for a 945 but if a new model is imminent would prefer to hold off.
I realize garmin tends to keep things pretty tight....but if anyone has any advice please feel free to share!!

I'm in the same position. My 935 is 3.5 year's old, and stopped working. I did a full factory reset, and it now works again, but not well in the pool.... I think the issue is water ingress on the button seals. I really don't want to buy a 945 if a new model is being launched soon. Luckily, I managed to buy a Garmin Swim 2 half price. I use the Swim 2 in the pool, and my 935 for all other sports.

I think that the 955 could be released at CES in January. If not, the normal 2 year cycle would see a launch in April 2021. My first event will be IM Lanzarote, and hopefully will get it before then

I've been impressed with the Swim 2 so far. I love its small form factor, it feels nicer to use when swimming. I also like the swimming wrist strap HRM.... I hated the Swimming chest strap on the 935, and rarely used it. I know that the 945 also has wrist HRM for swimming.

Thanks mate, what is the size comparison like between the 935 and Swim 2?
Whilst I have lived without it, the ability to track heart rate during swimming would be a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Thanks mate, what is the size comparison like between the 935 and Swim 2?
Whilst I have lived without it, the ability to track heart rate during swimming would be a bonus!

935 is 47mm diameter, 14.3mm thick
Swim2 is 42mm diameter, 11.7mm thich

Swim2 volume is 35% less than 935

My swim2 is white, so my friends tell me I am wearing a ladies watch... doesn't bother me at all
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
The 945 and 745 have every imagined fitness analytics and associated feature on the market.

now there's the rub - what have the boffins at garmin imagined up for the 955 that we don't currently know we need?

Reliable wrist HR
Wrist blood oxygen
Solar charging
Battery life
Speakers
Micro SD port
Cup holder
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Reliable wrist HR
Wrist blood oxygen
Solar charging
Battery life
Speakers
Micro SD port
Cup holder
They actually have #1 and #2 in the 945 already, and they are pretty cool. (Despite what DCR says about Garmin's Pulse Ox.) And the battery life is pretty good, but not 100 mile ultra good. I still run with an external HRM, but it really is not essential with the 945 like it was with prior devices.

I am super curious what they might bring in the 955 that could support its rumored price increase. LTE is a non-starter for me. I have had almost every generation Apple Watch, and I have never wanted their LTE versions. I cannot imagine a universe where I would want it on a multisport watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't do blood oxygen during an activity
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The feature I want is nighttime heart rate variability. Currently, you can do this with a strap while you're sitting still for 1 minute. The apple watch can do it while you sleep through the optical sensor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Meanwhile, my 920 which I bought as a manufacturer refurbished second about 4 years ago continues to work flawlessly. I've all the various Garmins I've owned, this one has lasted the longest and is by far the best.

My 920 died a slow death through what looks like water ingress.....was such a great watch.

My 910 just died last week. I bought a 945. My wife's 910 died two years ago and she has the 935 (its still going strong). There isn't much difference in the 935 and 945. I suspect it will be the same between a 945 and 955.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is talking 935, 945, 955, why is there no love for the Fenix series? The Fenix 6 series does a lot of what you guys are talking about in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Everyone is talking 935, 945, 955, why is there no love for the Fenix series? The Fenix 6 series does a lot of what you guys are talking about in this thread.

Size and weight. Plus, I think the comparable Fenix watches cost more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. The Fenix watch internals are identical to the respective 945 & 745 variants. They add fashion and looks at the expense of weight, size, and cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't care about the blood oxygenation measurement or open water swimming, you can get a vivoactive 3 for like $90. It is a rock solid watch, light and with a decent enough battery life (6-7 hours easy with GPS).

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
The feature I want is nighttime heart rate variability. Currently, you can do this with a strap while you're sitting still for 1 minute. The apple watch can do it while you sleep through the optical sensor.

Strictly speaking no watch measures heart rate variability through optical sensors; they measure pulse wave variability. HRV is then ‘guesstimated’from the colour change in the blood as it is pumped through blood vessels. GARMIN do derive HRV, breath rate and Pulse OX from the watch when sleeping or when not moving.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:

I have both the 935 and one of the Fenix 5 series, I just find the size and weight of the Fenix series a bit weird compared to the 935 so that has been my go to watch now....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never had a 935 or 945 but I did have a 920 and honestly after wearing my fenix 6 for a day couldn’t tell a difference with the weight. I wanted a better looking everyday watch (920 is pretty ugly, and I had the better looking black and grey one) because I was sick of forgetting my running watch when I wanted to run on my lunch break. But the weight thing is pretty negligible in real world application IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have anyone heard any news if the 955 is coming soon?
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
End of April will make for 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920 XT has been so reliable & seems to do what I need it to--no rush here for a new model. I've had a few quirks that seemed odd here and there & with updates, a few resets....seems to be still working ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You posted 6 months ago and are probably no longer in the market, but it seems like the new Enduro has a number of the features everyone has been talking about that would enhance the 945. So while not the 955, it has multisport, long battery, solar charging, hefty price tag, yada yada
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/702797/pn/010-02408-00#specs

But it is 20% heavier; probably a 20 minute penalty in an Ironman
Last edited by: kwikfoot: Mar 18, 21 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my 935 on right now. Love that thing. But if it died I’d either go COROS or 945. No sense in waiting an undetermined amount of time

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
I’ve never had a 935 or 945 but I did have a 920 and honestly after wearing my fenix 6 for a day couldn’t tell a difference with the weight. I wanted a better looking everyday watch (920 is pretty ugly, and I had the better looking black and grey one) because I was sick of forgetting my running watch when I wanted to run on my lunch break. But the weight thing is pretty negligible in real world application IMHO.

I love my fenix 6x too and use it as daily watch as well as for training and races. The only disadvantage is indeed the screen which is hard to read in poor light conditions. You have these nice analogue watchfaces which look beautiful in a display under lamps in the watch-shop, but at home inside you can hardly see them.
I am waiting for an AMOLED screen but I also want to keep the 20-hour GPS capacity and the couple of weeks of watch-time.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
jpay wrote:

I love my fenix 6x too and use it as daily watch as well as for training and races. The only disadvantage is indeed the screen which is hard to read in poor light conditions. You have these nice analogue watchfaces which look beautiful in a display under lamps in the watch-shop, but at home inside you can hardly see them.
I am waiting for an AMOLED screen but I also want to keep the 20-hour GPS capacity and the couple of weeks of watch-time.

I've grown to love my vivoactive 4 so much that I stopped pining for the 935/945xt at all. It is light and I can get 7 hours out of the battery with gps on if lower the brightness a bit

The only 2 things it is does not do is

1. open water swimming, but my 920xt is still good for that.
2. power meter integration - but I have my edge for that

Don't see any reason to plunk down $500.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next