Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How long til the 945 is replaced?
Quote | Reply
My 935 just crapped itself after some very loyal service.
Happy to shell out now for a 945 but if a new model is imminent would prefer to hold off.
I realize garmin tends to keep things pretty tight....but if anyone has any advice please feel free to share!!
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't they generally on a 2 year cycle?

If so, the "955" isn't due for another year or so.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
Aren't they generally on a 2 year cycle?

If so, the "955" isn't due for another year or so.

I thought Garmin was a bit unpredictable.....just googled the release date now and it was April 30th 2019, so we are 18 months into the lifecycle so far.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They usually seem to release a new version just as they've finally fixed all the bugs in the current one. So about 2 years on the 935 to 945
(Only half pink).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 6 months after you start seeing them go on sale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were rumors of a fall 955 release around the time that the new scale passed its FCC certification. But, we have a scale and no 955. So, if I were a betting man, I would bet on a 955 in the spring of 2021. If your 935 crapped now, it might be tough to survive another 7-8 months without a watch. You could get a cheap stopgap now and then a 955 whenever it arrives. But, the 945 is pretty sweet, and you might see a great Black Friday deal in the coming weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Happy to shell out now for a 945 but if a new model is imminent would prefer to hold off.
I realize garmin tends to keep things pretty tight....but if anyone has any advice please feel free to share!!

Do you really think the 955 has anything you can't live without that the 945 does not?
I would just wait for black Friday and get a cheap 945
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. The only thing the 955 will have over the 945 is 6 months of bugs and glitches, with at least a few serious ones.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Do you really think the 955 has anything you can't live without that the 945 does not?

Given that Garmin often puts its newest tech into other watches first, the obvious updates would be:
  • Solar recharging
  • AMOLED bright screen

Not sure if the two of them can go together though since the solar works partly through a transparent screen. If I had to guess, they're currently working on making solar the next big thing. There's the odd Fenix 6 variant that has solar but isn't really a deal-breaker in my opinion until you can get to near infinite battery when in watch mode (sport mode obviously different).

Plus, there's always the option to make the watch smaller/longer battery/more responsive/more accurate, but I doubt those are deal breakers
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dashelj wrote:
The only thing the 955 will have over the 945 is 6 months of bugs and glitches, with at least a few serious ones.
I am always curious when I see posts like these. Specifically, what were the serious glitches (and other) that people experienced with the 945? I had a 735XT since launch and a 945 since launch. Both have been nearly flawless. I think my 945 may have glitched (rebooted) once in almost two years of use, but I cannot remember. It could have been a bike computer.

There have been hardware issues with the altimeters since those were introduced, but that is physical and I suspect common to every watch with an altimeter.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
lassekk wrote:

Given that Garmin often puts its newest tech into other watches first, the obvious updates would be:
  • Solar recharging
  • AMOLED bright screen

Not sure if the two of them can go together though since the solar works partly through a transparent screen. If I had to guess, they're currently working on making solar the next big thing. There's the odd Fenix 6 variant that has solar but isn't really a deal-breaker in my opinion until you can get to near infinite battery when in watch mode (sport mode obviously different).

Plus, there's always the option to make the watch smaller/longer battery/more responsive/more accurate, but I doubt those are deal breakers

AMOLED screen isn't going to find it's way into the 955 or any other long distance watch. The battery draw from the screen is too much of a compromise when ultra long battery line is the #1 goal. Yes, OLED is certainly pretty and I expect we will see it on more Garmins in the future (I bet there will be an AMOLED Fenix 7 option.)

Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

I would just wait for black Friday and get a cheap 945
I dont Think the next iteration of the watch Will have something I Can’t live without, but Will probably have some features I want. Right now, there are suggested Daily workouts, which are probably not the workouts I would do THAT day, But in general Seem ok (been using it with the beta version as Well). As it is right now, if you’ve completed the Daily run workout, the cycling won’t appear. There’s some work to be done there and that might be a Selling point for multi-sport athletes on the next watch. And/or native run power. Personalised training plans based on your goals and activities. Probably better garmin/Tacx integration. There’s a lot of potential waiting to be ubeleashed. Garmin could easily make trainerroad obsolete to Garmin users, if they wanted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile, my 920 which I bought as a manufacturer refurbished second about 4 years ago continues to work flawlessly. I've all the various Garmins I've owned, this one has lasted the longest and is by far the best.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Meanwhile, my 920 which I bought as a manufacturer refurbished second about 4 years ago continues to work flawlessly. I've all the various Garmins I've owned, this one has lasted the longest and is by far the best.

This is my problem. Same as you....bought my refurbed in Sept 2016. The damn thing won't quit working, and it does everything I *need* it to do. It works every damn day, no matter what. Even my friggin' altimeter still works.

So, I have no justifiable excuse to "have to get a new watch". "N+1" notwithstanding, of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

My 920 died a slow death through what looks like water ingress.....was such a great watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 310 still keeps on trucking, now as small cycle gps.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

This is my problem. Same as you....bought my refurbed in Sept 2016. The damn thing won't quit working, and it does everything I *need* it to do. It works every damn day, no matter what. Even my friggin' altimeter still works.

So, I have no justifiable excuse to "have to get a new watch". "N+1" notwithstanding, of course.

Mine too. But to me it has the added benefit of a rectangular screen. I hate the circular ones. I'm hoping Garmin brings back the rectangular look in the 955
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the 920 was all I ever wanted or needed too. then I got the 945. the music and mapping is a game changer! climb pro is really cool too.
I thought I would always like the rectangular screen better for workouts but I was wrong. I love the circle screen and I actually wear this watch all the time now. where as with the 920 there was no way I was wearing that out to dinner with my wife.
there are a lot of features and fluff that I never use, but man some of those features that I do use, they are so nice and cant imagine not having them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Same, just wish I had swimming HR

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just get a Forerunner 745?
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand how those things could hold appeal. I don't mean to dismiss them, but most of them make no difference to me. I hate music when exercising, I prefer not to wear a watch when not exercising, and the only exercise time I've ever wanted mapping is when cycling which I have with my Edge.

But what is "Climb Pro" exactly? Are there any other useful features?
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I don't mean to dismiss them... I prefer not to wear a watch when not exercising
I don’t think any of these products are meant for you. They deliver tons of data for folks who like to study their training workouts and apply the data toward optimizing race performance. The 945 and 745 have every imagined fitness analytics and associated feature on the market. Everyone has individual value propositions, so ask what are yours, and does one of these watches deliver capabilities in that area.

ClimbPro is also on the newer Edge computers. It analyzes your planned course and gives you climb pop-up screens for meaningful climbs. It is fantastic when you are doing a challenging routes with legit climbs. It is one of my favorite new features in recent years.
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The 945 and 745 have every imagined fitness analytics and associated feature on the market.

now there's the rub - what have the boffins at garmin imagined up for the 955 that we don't currently know we need?
Quote Reply
Re: How long til the 945 is replaced? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
ClimbPro is also on the newer Edge computers. It analyzes your planned course and gives you climb pop-up screens for meaningful climbs. It is fantastic when you are doing a challenging routes with legit climbs. It is one of my favorite new features in recent years.

Ah, OK, I've got that on my Edge 530. (At least I *think* that's what it is). You're right though the other stuff, I don't need. I'm still gonna hope against hope that they give me a big square screen option on the next one. My 920 isn't going to live forever
Quote Reply

Prev Next