Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade
Quote | Reply
Context is a 2011 Cervelo RS road bike with a 10 yr old Quarq Cinqo (not being used for power anymore) that I am considering upgrading.

Front chainring is pretty worn and I am considering the possible upgrade paths. Undecided but interested in Force eTap shifting, and trying to figure out if there is a path to get there in steps, or that requires an all in jump from where I am given 10 to 12 speed change.

If I was to upgrade in a big bang I am still confused as to what component selection dictates the other. As best as I can tell the dependencies are:

Shifters (Force eTap derailleur/shifters) dictates cassette/crank (Force XG-1270 12-Speed Cassette / 22 GXP Crankset), which then dictates bottom bracket (GXP Team Bottom Bracket 68/73), plus the Force 12-Speed chain, and a new freehub for the rear wheel + trainer.

Assume there is no way to delay the shifter upgrade if I make the move to the 12 speed cassette/chain. Is the crankset 12 speed specific? Can I upgrade the front chainring/BB as a starting point to get through the winter and then add the rear drivetrain/shifters in the spring?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will need to install everything at once.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 17, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odds are pretty high you would also need a new rear wheel that is compatible with SRAM's 12 speed freehub body. That said, you would probably need a new wheel just to get to 11 speed, but that is worth researching.

If you want best bang for buck, look at 11 speed Ultegra Di2 or eTap. Those are both cheaper now, and there are some NOS eTap groupsets in the wild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That force 22 crankset isnt compatible with 12 speed. You need to buy the force axs crank, which also has a DUB bottom bracket, not GXP. The whole axs groupset is only compatible with other axs parts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the others said, to go to 12 speed force axs you will need to get all new drivetrain and possibly a new rear wheel unless your hub is upgradeable to sram 12 speed driver. You are looking at about $2500 to $3000 in upgrades.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the guidance folks - also realized that while it looks like I can get a XDR freehub for my rear wheel (Flo 90), I can't get one for my '14 Kickr, so I'd be adding another $1,200 for a new trainer to the tab as well.

Will check out the 11 speed eTap pricing - thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 speed etap can be found for about $1k for RD/FD, blipbox and blips/clics. If you're running a compact crank or smaller, make sure that your FD hanger will work with the eTap FD. It is a little finicky.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
Thanks for the guidance folks - also realized that while it looks like I can get a XDR freehub for my rear wheel (Flo 90), I can't get one for my '14 Kickr, so I'd be adding another $1,200 for a new trainer to the tab as well.

W/r to your KICKR and wheels, keep in mind there are aftermarket 12 speed cassette options with 11tooth high end that will fit standard HG freehubs. Same goes for 11 speed cassettes and I think even SRAM offers this 11s HG freehub cassette option.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
TheRhino wrote:

W/r to your KICKR and wheels, keep in mind there are aftermarket 12 speed cassette options with 11tooth high end that will fit standard HG freehubs. Same goes for 11 speed cassettes and I think even SRAM offers this 11s HG freehub cassette option.

But, and honest question here, noting this would be for the trainer, with the flo 90 on a genuine XDR freehub, would the indexing be identical for those? Having to re-index each time you go on/off the trainer would be 'bind'.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
TheRhino wrote:

But, and honest question here, noting this would be for the trainer, with the flo 90 on a genuine XDR freehub, would the indexing be identical for those? Having to re-index each time you go on/off the trainer would be 'bind'.

I honestly don’t know. I’ve had my bikes on and offf trainers starting with CT’s in the early 2000’s and switch to Neos the past few years. 9 to 10 to 11 speed. Indexing has never been an issue. But I do my own wrenching and if I had this issue I would shim the cassette to fix it before I changed indexing for bike switches. My wife’s new road build is AXS 12, but I haven’t put it on the Neo yet.

To me, there really isn’t much of an issue getting bike shifting dialed and consistent between wheelsets or a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm similar in background re self wrenching (hmm, not sure that is the best term here, but it's an anonymous internet forum of mainly blokes that like to meet up and get wet wearing rubber and lycra, so we're probably safe), but the 12 speed is going to be narrower and so more precision with indexing needed, and the 12 speed 'hack' isn't going to have any scope for shimming. And I was assuming the same for the 12 speed.

Noting I've just upgraded my trainer specific bike from 9 speed to 10 speed, I'm a long way from needing to worry about this ;-) But was interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help navigating drivetrain upgrade [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
I'm similar in background re self wrenching (hmm, not sure that is the best term here, but it's an anonymous internet forum of mainly blokes that like to meet up and get wet wearing rubber and lycra, so we're probably safe), but the 12 speed is going to be narrower and so more precision with indexing needed, and the 12 speed 'hack' isn't going to have any scope for shimming. And I was assuming the same for the 12 speed.

Noting I've just upgraded my trainer specific bike from 9 speed to 10 speed, I'm a long way from needing to worry about this ;-) But was interested.

I’m just starting the12 speed adventure, but either option above should allow for minor shimming. The standard 0.5mm and 1.0mm shims from Shimano DA and XTR HG cassettes will work fine on XD/XDR freehubs. The introduction of the XDR freehub already kicked off using the same 1.85mm HG 10s on 11#s FH spacer for using XD cassettes. Different systems for sure, but same potential issues/solutions with derailleur hanger alignment and indexing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re-upping my ask for feedback on this process. Another option I am considering is:

Force ETap AXS 1x Groupset (on sale for ~$1K)
Force 1 DUB 12-Speed Crankset (~$420)
DUB BSA Bottom Bracket ($40)
Chain ($35)

My current setup of 50/34 up front and 11-27 at the back seems like it would be covered by a 40 tooth 1x and 10-33 on the back. While the shifts may be chunkier the climbing gear is actually slightly more favourable, and I give up a gear or two I never use going downhill.

Am I missing something considering this as a good option to go wireless for ~1.5K, not having to deal with FD anymore, etc.? I do a shit job shifting as is, pretty much cross chain the 50T until I have to drop to 34T and shift 2-3 clicks at rear to compensate, which really means I use ~14 gears today, and would be dropping to 12 with similar coverage (losing those real high gears so maybe increase in spread not even that bad).

Disabuse me of this desire ST!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great. Something I’m considering myself actually!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply