Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please ecommend me new winter cycling gloves
Quote | Reply
My current gloves are nearing the end of their lives. They are made of some fleece like material and have a pocket on the top in which a windproof/waterproof cover is stored. This cover can be pulled out and used as an extra protection in cold/windy/rainy days.
Looking for something similar, that extra cover is good to have but not a must. I commute by bike year round.
Dedicated rain gloves I already have. I live in Vancouver so it can be pretty cold.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Please ecommend me new winter cycling gloves [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very happy with my Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Castelli Spettacolo RoS gloves.
The long zip makes them easy to get on and off even if your hands are a bit sweaty. But they are very breathable, so sweating isn't such a big problem. The narrow wrist means the sleeve of your jacket can go over the top and prevent the rain running down into them. I live in highland Scotland and wear these through autumn to spring. On really cold days I add a pair of think silk liner gloves.

They now also do a more extreme waterproof winter glove, the Espresso GT.
Last edited by: paulfrost: Oct 23, 20 1:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver is pretty cold??? as a Canadian that is just silly, try Winterpeg or Nunavut, or even the East Coast... Vancouver is cool not cold.. ;-)
but truthfully gloves are probably OK in Vancouver, but where it actually gets well below zero (ie -15-30 C) mittens are the only real answer for me. Either the lobster claw which is a sort of in between or a true waterproof wind proof mitten. I had a pair of Burton mitts that were great in winter. I now have Louis Garneau mitts that are really great, very breathable and yet very warm when the temperature gets below -10. MEC has a few good options worth considering as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Please ecommend me new winter cycling gloves [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Vancouver is pretty cold??? as a Canadian that is just silly, try Winterpeg or Nunavut, or even the East Coast... Vancouver is cool not cold.. ;-)
but truthfully gloves are probably OK in Vancouver, but where it actually gets well below zero (ie -15-30 C) mittens are the only real answer for me. Either the lobster claw which is a sort of in between or a true waterproof wind proof mitten. I had a pair of Burton mitts that were great in winter. I now have Louis Garneau mitts that are really great, very breathable and yet very warm when the temperature gets below -10. MEC has a few good options worth considering as well.

LOL, Thanks. I am from South Europe (Croatia, Dubrovnik) so anything bellow 10C is cold for me :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These significantly enhance the quality of any gloves

https://barmitts.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please ecommend me new winter cycling gloves [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes in places less tropical than Vancouver I would agree, I have a pair that I did not use last year, it did not get cold enough, ie below - 15 or 20 deg C. To that point mittens are just fine by me but to each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a standard full finger mountain bike glove and then put a glove like this over them.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...MTo3OmNjQ2F0MTAwMTk1

That way I can pull the heavy outer glove off when needed or just wear them without the inner glove.

I also get a size bigger than normal so I can get it over the first glove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also live in Vancouver. I like the 100% Hydromatic Brisker gloves (Bicicletta stocks them) though I find them a little hard to get one and off with sweaty hands. These are good in the rain and I use them to around 0 deg C or colder if its dry. These gloves have much better dexerity than a full winter glove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecommend. You may have coined a term there. Is that already a thing?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Please ecommend me new winter cycling gloves [paulfrost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulfrost wrote:
I love my Castelli Spettacolo RoS gloves.
The long zip makes them easy to get on and off even if your hands are a bit sweaty. But they are very breathable, so sweating isn't such a big problem. The narrow wrist means the sleeve of your jacket can go over the top and prevent the rain running down into them. I live in highland Scotland and wear these through autumn to spring. On really cold days I add a pair of think silk liner gloves.

They now also do a more extreme waterproof winter glove, the Espresso GT.

Another vote for the Spettacolo gloves. Decent warmth with fantastic dexterity. The zipper makes them exceptionally form fitting, almost like an aero winter glove. I’ll use these for hard rides that stay in the 30s Fahrenheit (-1 to 4 Celsius). If it’s going to be in the 40s F (5 - 9 C), I’ll use a lighter weight glove or they are fine for a casual ride in the lower 40s (5 - 7 C). Castelli says you can use the up to the lower 50s (12 C). I would use summer gloves in the lower 50s. If you want warmth for a ride entirely in the 20s (-1 Celsius or colder), I would choose a different glove (or mitten).

Also, the other Castelli RoS and Perfetto gloves for slightly warmer temps, are fantastic, too.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 23, 20 20:02
Quote Reply