Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Change bike frame or change wheels
Quote | Reply
Currently have 2013 p3c built up and a stock p1 I was going to set up identical. Running hed jet 6+ wheels with no issues and picked up a jet 9+ and a jet + disc. After test fitting there is 1 mm clearance for the p1 and 1-2 mm clearance on the p3c with the disc. Not wanting to create wear and tear rub on the disc or on the chain stays from flex, I am torn on what to do. I am running 23mm tires and the fairing on the jet + disc is what appears to be wider due to the lenticular design.

Here are the options as I see it.

1. Get a narrower or flat rear disc wheel. Would need to be 11 speed as built up the p3c 11speed 1x and have all the drive train parts to do the same on the p1. Haven’t found many options unless someone has something to trade. Most older narrower wheels are 10 speed and not upgradable. From researching I wouldn’t loose much other than matchy matchy.

2. Sell both bikes and pickup a frameset or complete 2014-2019 p2/3 frame set and build up 1x. As the wheels should fit no problem.

What would Slowtwitch do?
Quote Reply
Re: Change bike frame or change wheels [dcolv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adjust the rear dropouts as far back as you can and report back...
Quote Reply
Re: Change bike frame or change wheels [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Adjust the rear dropouts as far back as you can and report back...

Unfortunately no dice. Adjusting them all the way does not increase any flex room. The chainstays do not taper outward soon enough.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Change bike frame or change wheels [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Option 1 is feasible. A HED Jet disc (old model. Pre Jet+) worked on my P2C (old model) and you can get 11speed free hubs. ZIPP super 9 work fine and you get 11speed. There are other discs which will fit, for example the Citec discs ... .
Quote Reply
Re: Change bike frame or change wheels [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if this will help, but I had a similar issue with Jet 6’s on my Cervelo S-3. When I would ride out of the saddle with high watts (eg, climbing something steep), my tire would rub the left chain stay. This was actually a common problem with this wheel on Cervelo’s from my research. Ultimately I found that the recommendation was to run the tire pressure at 90 psi. I tired it and problem solved. I am running GP 4000 23’s. Check the specs but I think you can go as low as a 22’s on the Jet 6’a. Those are wider wheels so the 22’s would actually be wider than when they are on a regular wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also use a disc cover with the jet 6+ wheels to make a disc wheel that fits your setups. I have seen disc covers used on that generation of P3 so I am sure its possible and I don't think the Jet+ wheel will pose a specific challenge here. Because the cover goes from the fairing to the hub it doesn't flair out the same extent the full Jet+ disc does. The thing to check is how much clearance you have between the spokes on the 6+ and the chain stay. The Specialized Transition is the only bike of I know of off hand that this is so tight even disc covers can be problematic.

Alternatively you could just buy a few new bikes because who doesn't love buying new bikes.
Quote Reply