Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Degloved: Every Scar Has a Story
Quote | Reply
In 2014, my wife Adelaide (girlfriend at the time) was struck by a car while training for a HITS Series triathlon. I described riding up on the scene and finding out that it was her who had been struck in my blog. I believe some of you guys may have come across that story, as it touched on the fears a lot of us have about training with speeding traffic just feet away. After riding to the hospital, I found out that she'd gone through the driver's side window, fracturing every bone in her face. The lacerations required more than 700 stitches from her lip down to her collarbone. She spent 11 days in the ICU but the real recovery process took quite a bit longer than that.

She wrote and published a book about the crash, which details her long road to recovery, getting back on the bike, dealing with PTSD, earning her pro triathlon license, and fighting to change Colorado law to help protect vulnerable road users, all while coming to terms with her recent bipolar II diagnosis. The underlying focus of the book touches on the difficulty of healing from emotional trauma. While surgeons can (mostly) put us back together, healing the mind after a traumatic event is quite a bit more complicated.

The book is called Degloved: Every Scar Has a Story. You can find out more about it at Adelaide's website: https://www.adelaideperr.com/

If you're interested in purchasing a copy, the best place to do that is through BookShop. If you're in Boulder, it's available at the Boulder Book Store and Full Cycle.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. Degloved is meant to give an honest look at what going through a serious injury or traumatic event entails, yet gives hope for survivors (you just have to make it past the first half!). More than that, it's an inspirational story about perseverance, mental health, and fighting an uphill battle for change.

-Kennett Peterson
https://kennettpeterson.com/
Last edited by: Kennett P: Oct 22, 20 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Degloved: Every Scar Has a Story [Kennett P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kennett P wrote:

She wrote and published a book about the crash, which details her long road to recovery, getting back on the bike, dealing with PTSD, earning her pro triathlon license, and fighting to change Colorado law to help protect vulnerable road users, all while coming to terms with her recent bipolar II diagnosis. The underlying focus of the book touches on the difficulty of healing from emotional trauma. While surgeons can (mostly) put us back together, healing the mind after a traumatic event is quite a bit more complicated.

I knew about this and I am sorry to hear about all the troubles Kennett with your wife. I know we may have not had the best on-course interactions, but no biker should have to go thru this. Fwiw, I was hit by a bike as a kid by a car and I have never moved the same way since. I know a lot of people give me grief about my own run form, but most people don't know I was clubbed in my growing phase of my youth and likely developed some different movement patterns that just stuck with me. In addition, I will say I was hit again last year, almost to the day. While the injury was minor from a physical perspective, it was the hit-and-run aspect + the lack of sincere support from the police that left an emotion scar on me this time around.

Wishing you and your wife the best with continued recovery. And I highly suggest leveraging your book on Amazon even if the profit margin isn't the best. Ease of purchase, eye-balls, and more reviews is the key to sharing this story with more people and will help spread the story 100-1000x of what the BookShop and personal site can do. And yes, I know you live in Boulder and the different ethos there, and I supported local forever, preached local forever, but that ship has sailed. We crave convenience. That battle has been lost and we can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 22, 20 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Degloved: Every Scar Has a Story [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit, I didn't know you'd been hit twice Thomas. I guess it sort of comes with the territory of riding unfortunately, though being hit as a child before the bones have finished growing really sucks. I hadn't notice your run gait was off, though that might be because my own run gait leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I've had a few friends get injured in hit and runs, and I think it does take quite a bit more of an emotional toll than if the driver had stopped. Knowing that someone out there would rather risk another person dying than having their own insurance premiums increase is beyond messed up.

Thanks for the ideas about marketing. I hadn't thought about the fact that having more sales on Amazon improves a book's visibility. I just included the BookShop link because we aren't fans of Amazon.

Thanks for the kind words,

KP

-Kennett Peterson
https://kennettpeterson.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Degloved: Every Scar Has a Story [Kennett P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kennett P wrote:
Shit, I didn't know you'd been hit twice Thomas. I guess it sort of comes with the territory of riding unfortunately, though being hit as a child before the bones have finished growing really sucks. I hadn't notice your run gait was off, though that might be because my own run gait leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I've had a few friends get injured in hit and runs, and I think it does take quite a bit more of an emotional toll than if the driver had stopped. Knowing that someone out there would rather risk another person dying than having their own insurance premiums increase is beyond messed up.

Thanks for the ideas about marketing. I hadn't thought about the fact that having more sales on Amazon improves a book's visibility. I just included the BookShop link because we aren't fans of Amazon.

Thanks for the kind words,

KP

The childhood incident was interesting. I never really grew after that point in spite of my genetics indicating that I probably should have been significantly taller. However, what really strikes me is the awareness between then and now is any protocol that should have existed back then but didn't. I didn't receive any sort of concussion protocol info or anything. I think back to then and I was probably watching TV and movies while recovering which probably isn't/wasn't the best thing for me to do.

Anyway, again. I have a love/hate with the big Internet box. I was Trisports athlete for many years and I remember having dinner with Seton one time back in like 2010-20 and I asked him what keeps him up at night, fully expecting him to say Inside Sports or something like that. His answer, "Amazon", was shocking but not now looking back not so much so. The loyal devoted will still go the extra length to support BookShop but it is so important to get the message out anyway you can. I can assure you from my own market data and consulting with a few brands, that the Amazon presence will actually help you sell more books thru BookShop. I know it sounds strange but it will.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply