Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids on Bike Trainers
Quote | Reply
Upgrading to a smart trainer & thinking about keeping the dumb one for my 9 yr old. We limit his screen time but are willing to give him more YouTube time if, during the winter, he spins while he watches. Anyway, wondering if you have put your kid/s on a trainer & whether you might share some experience/advice.

FWIW, he's an avid "mountain biker".
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on Bike Trainers [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 10 year old will go spin on the old trainer for like 20-30 minutes and then gets bored and stops. No issues as any extra exercise is fine with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 11yo daughter rides next to me on my old trainer. She has a small Argon 18 650C bike that she rides.We also limit screen time but let her watch a show while riding.

Zwift has free kids accounts, we also found that joining the new pace partners on Zwift makes it more interesting for her because she has to pay attention or she looses the group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids have a zwift account; they like doing some of the shorter workouts for fun.

Also keep track of max sprints and other intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on Bike Trainers [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
My kids have a zwift account; they like doing some of the shorter workouts for fun.

Also keep track of max sprints and other intervals.

Had not thought about him having his own account. That's a great idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zwift has kids/family accounts available
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my 9y/o on zwift on a road bike. With the world being what it is, my wife and I are having him do about an hour of exercise at least 5 days a week, because he certainly doesn’t get much out of virtual gym class and doesn’t do any other sports. To add to that, kids in our neighborhood don’t really do a ton of running. He did a zwift race this week where he averaged 100w (3.2w/kg) for an hour, which isn’t bad (it’s z-power but I average 90w when we’re outside together, so maybe it isn’t too far from reality)

Anyhow I use an older elite fluid unit (like the qubo). I have a Kurt kinetic, which obviously is great, but even though he has 24” wheels and the kinetic is technically compatible with 24” wheels, I can’t get enough tension on the wheel. Ok, so that was a really long winded post for a simple question! Personally I think it’s great that parents can help kids stay active when the weather turns lousy!

Just one addition, I’m primarily a trainerroad user but I use zwift for visuals, so I’ll do a meet up with my son where we’re programmed to stay together so I can do my workout in erg mode and he’ll just ride along at his pace.
Last edited by: 347CX: Oct 22, 20 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on Bike Trainers [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
347CX wrote:
I have my 9y/o on zwift on a road bike. With the world being what it is, my wife and I are having him do about an hour of exercise at least 5 days a week, because he certainly doesn’t get much out of virtual gym class and doesn’t do any other sports. To add to that, kids in our neighborhood don’t really do a ton of running. He did a zwift race this week where he averaged 100w (3.2w/kg) for an hour, which isn’t bad (it’s z-power but I average 90w when we’re outside together, so maybe it isn’t too far from reality)

Anyhow I use an older elite fluid unit (like the qubo). I have a Kurt kinetic, which obviously is great, but even though he has 24” wheels and the kinetic is technically compatible with 24” wheels, I can’t get enough tension on the wheel. Ok, so that was a really long winded post for a simple question! Personally I think it’s great that parents can help kids stay active when the weather turns lousy!

Just one addition, I’m primarily a trainerroad user but I use zwift for visuals, so I’ll do a meet up with my son where we’re programmed to stay together so I can do my workout in erg mode and he’ll just ride along at his pace.

Not "long winded" at all. Very helpful. Thanks.
Quote Reply