Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Creative ways to avoid descending
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking for creative solutions to run hill reps without descending. I'm thinking running with a skateboard, wheels that might attach to the bottom of shoes, setting up a load of bikes at the top of the hill etc. I want to train for a run Everesting but don't want to do any descents. Anyone else had similar thoughts/ come up with a creative solution?
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treadmill?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for creative solutions to run hill reps without descending. I'm thinking running with a skateboard, wheels that might attach to the bottom of shoes, setting up a load of bikes at the top of the hill etc. I want to train for a run Everesting but don't want to do any descents. Anyone else had similar thoughts/ come up with a creative solution?

How long is the hill? If it's a few miles long how about enlisting/ paying a friend to drive you down a few times. If you attach wheels to your shoes please have that on video for us to see when you fly off into the woods on the way down! ( I'm not hoping that happens, just don't do that)

Otherwise, listen to Thom- treadmill is the ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have someone that is training for bike everersting ride a tandem up and you can coast down toegether. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnā€™t suggest descending on a skateboard. I know thatā€™s a bad idea from experience...

Best idea would be find a descent with stairs Iā€™d think, unless your going to be running up a 3500m climb and have 10 bikes to set up at the top

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ski slopes in the area? Perhaps you could make a deal to run up and chair lift down. If there's snow on the ground, then maybe run up and ski down, assuming you can find someone to haul up a board/ skis

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny, I tried this years ago in Pairs doing hill repeats with Velib bike share bike: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...g-repeats-velib.html

The problem there was that I timed my run towards the end of the day, when most of the bikes hadn't been rebalanced - so basically I ran out of bikes. I'd also have run afoul of min threshold times for shorter intervals.

I actually ended up doing this another time elsewhere on a much longer hill on the other side of town, but it was still kinda messy and unpredictable. These days though with bike shares that aren't tied to a specific station you could more easily gather a few (even from a few different services) into a cluster ahead of time and then do it.

Though, a pile of skateboards or such in a duffel bag behind a dumpster/tree/whatever seems like a much easier/cheaper solution.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ski ressort with lifts operating in 4 seasons or in urban areas you might find hills with electric stairs. At least in Europe you have plenty locations.

or go down by sledge:

or vapor-powered trains:

or electric:

or this:

nice lifts:

Man, there are 100s of possibilities. But please, please DO NOT user your car. We are in 2020...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Last edited by: Geraldaut: Oct 22, 20 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1a) Wait for winter and use a light plastic sled to descend
1b) If the hill is smooth enough and the right steepness, you might be able to sled down on grass
2) Build a zipline down the hill
3) Office building stairs + elevator descent

(disclaimer, #3 is the safest solution, at least in non-Covid times!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run up a parking garage and take the elevator down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m curious as to why you want to avoid descending... Whatā€™s the longest hill you have access to?

This makes me think of the ā€œAction Parkā€ thread from the LR; run up/alpine slide down would be a huge amount of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:

Not germane to your question, but I see on the Everesting.cc website that you can be transported to the bottom of each lap.

Does this mean that you essentially climb to the top of Everest and perish there? It seems a true Everesting experience really ought to involve a round-trip journey.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the rules on this though if someone does "run everesting" style stuff? Do you have to run down? Or is the shuttle down accepted? It would be a huge training "miss" if you have to run downhill also for the challenge but don't train for that.

In our area, the parking garage elevator deal would work best. We have a few 4 to 6 story garages with elevators.

Personally, runs out of my house suck. It's immediately 100ft up in 1/4 mile out of the house then another 100ft up in the next 3/4 mile. On the way home, I add a little street to the run to avoid the steepest grade downhill on the return leg. So, downhill but not like 8% grade downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Any ski slopes in the area? Perhaps you could make a deal to run up and chair lift down. If there's snow on the ground, then maybe run up and ski down, assuming you can find someone to haul up a board/ skis

this is why alpine touring is awesome. ski up hill (hard like running). lock boots at top and ski down

Ijustrun wrote:
Iā€™m curious as to why you want to avoid descending...

my guess and personal issue is downhills cause more injury and damage
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Run up a parking garage and take the elevator down.

My thought exactly

In fact, I used to do this on a skateboard as well, except the other way [skate down / elevator back up; kinda like a chairlift]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Treadmill?

+1 /endthread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guggenheim Museum run up, lift down. Intellectual stimulation comes free.
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
What are the rules on this though if someone does "run everesting" style stuff? Do you have to run down? Or is the shuttle down accepted? It would be a huge training "miss" if you have to run downhill also for the challenge but don't train for that.

In our area, the parking garage elevator deal would work best. We have a few 4 to 6 story garages with elevators.

Personally, runs out of my house suck. It's immediately 100ft up in 1/4 mile out of the house then another 100ft up in the next 3/4 mile. On the way home, I add a little street to the run to avoid the steepest grade downhill on the return leg. So, downhill but not like 8% grade downhill.

I looked into this and had a thread on this as well, there are two records, Assisted and Non-Assisted. Assisted means any means of descending, non-assisted is being hardcore and running down. Either way is recorded on the everesting site since both are great achievements and it seems fair for assisted since cycling means almost no energy going down.

OP- Treadmill. That's all that is practical.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem Solved! šŸ˜‹
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runs stairs in a building and take the lift down. Or in a shopping mall or tube and take the escalator down.
Or skateboard down while playing Fleetwood Mac, that seems popular these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:

I can't control a skateboard to save my life (ha, ha), but inline skates with a brake would do the trick. Some time to take off/put on and you'd have to have a good backpack that doesn't bounce around for running up. I have a similar issue doing hill repeats on rollerskis that don't have brakes. I just end up walking down.
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Runs stairs in a building and take the lift down. Or in a shopping mall or tube and take the escalator down.
Or skateboard down while playing Fleetwood Mac, that seems popular these days.

It has to be a Stevie Nicks song though, or Lindsey Buckingham will make YouTube/TikTok take it down [per Rick Beato]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Creative ways to avoid descending [Geraldaut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should consider writing a Dr. Seuss book. Oh the Ways You Can Go! or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the fun suggestions folks. I want to avoid running downhill to avoid injuries and yes that's within the Everesting rules. No one suggested a pram! I think that might be fun. You see folks running with prams on park runs...I might try it. Steering might be an issue though! I like the winter sledge suggestion best! Keep em coming! šŸ˜€
Quote Reply

Prev Next