Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Considering getting new shoes. I've had my Sidi Mega for 12 years now. They work great for the first few hours but around the 40-50 miles mark I usually get numb and anything really long I get the hot foot feeling.

The two that I'm really looking closely at are Bont and Lake. So those that have experience with one or the other how does the width go? I'm mostly looking in the toe box, I have essentially Fred Flinstone feet. Flat and wide. Normal sized heel though, just super wide toe area haha.

I've been on Lake's for about 8 years after I switched from Sidi. I don't have exceptionally wide feet but the shoes are fantastic. With regard to hot spots, I found that when I got a molded insert it stopped by hotspots, not getting a different shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a Lake dealer.

Definitely take a look at the Lake sizing process:
https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

I always start here with shoe selection. Within the Lake lineup, there is enough going on that it helps to know your dimensions first before you can then decide on the models by last. They have 11 different lasts, and it gets a bit confusing because the shoes based on the wide Competition last are actually wider than the extra wide Race last. So, first get some measurements, and then we can discuss your Lake options.

As far as Bont goes - it's a good quality shoe, and a unique shape that can work for the right foot. The hard part is knowing if you have the right foot. I wish I knew a bit more about their product range to offer any advice there. I don't see a lot of them in the fit studio, which might just be a product of my local market.

Provided the very unenthusiastic wifey took the measurements correctly I’m about 260mm long and 107 wide. Which puts me in a wide Bont 42.5. I would actually up to 43 based off what I read and the fact my last 2 pairs of shoes were 43 and never had an issue with length.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: May 15, 20 12:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Travis R wrote:

I always start here with shoe selection. Within the Lake lineup, there is enough going on that it helps to know your dimensions first before you can then decide on the models by last. They have 11 different lasts, and it gets a bit confusing because the shoes based on the wide Competition last are actually wider than the extra wide Race last. So, first get some measurements, and then we can discuss your Lake options.

As far as Bont goes - it's a good quality shoe, and a unique shape that can work for the right foot. The hard part is knowing if you have the right foot. I wish I knew a bit more about their product range to offer any advice there. I don't see a lot of them in the fit studio, which might just be a product of my local market.

Provided the very unenthusiastic wifey took the measurements correctly I’m about 260mm long and 107 wide. Which puts me in a wide Bont 42.5. I would actually up to 43 based off what I read and the fact my last 2 pairs of shoes were 43 and never had an issue with length.

Are those measurements the same for both feet? Is that before or after you add the 5mm per the Lake process?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Are those measurements the same for both feet? Is that before or after you add the 5mm per the Lake process?

Yes, did not add the extra.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Yes, did not add the extra.

OK, based on that, per Lake's process, we would add 5mm of length. This would put us at 265mm long, and the width would remain the same at 107mm. Assuming this was measured while standing, with weight on the foot being measured, that's actually a 42 in Lakes, length-wise. Width-wise, you're just a hair too wide for the Lake extra wide Race last (CX301, CX332, CX403), but the shoes built on the wide Competition last (CX218, CX238, CX241) would be worth a look. I think you could do well with those.

I personally have wide feet (flat, bunions, you name it - my career as a foot model is over) and wear the MX237s, which are the MTB version of the CX237, which was predecessor to the CX238. I really like them for their comfort - they feel good on my feet, and I don't think about them at all when I ride. I think some of that is due to the shape, some is the materials (cow leather), and some is because of the BOA enclosures. I rode wide Shimano XC7s before that, and while I thought they were comfortable enough, these were certainly a step up. If I have one gripe, it's that they're not the lightest shoes.

The CX241 would be the other Lake shoe I'd look at, if I were you. The construction is unique, and for us with wide feet, a really neat solution. The BOA system is attached to floating panels that are laid over an inner meshy material, which really allows the shoe to conform nicely to your foot. As an added bonus, they have strategically placed the mesh panels around the areas where bunions tend to be, which also happen to be the widest part of the foot. So, they allow even more room. As an added bonus, they also have a moldable heel. I plan to get myself a pair of these soon, as well.

So, those are a couple of models in the Lake lineup to consider. Being that you're right at the edge, measurements-wise, you could potentially look into the extra wide size 42.5 CX332s or CX403s. The kangaroo leather is really spectacular stuff and very pliable. For both of these, heat-molding will really bring everything together for your foot.

And, if I can make one general recommendation to everybody: If you can swing it, invest in shoes with BOA enclosures - they really distribute the pressures around your foot more evenly than something with a velcro strap, and you can fine-tune them while you ride, if you need to.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Zissou wrote:
I will add that I have owned several different models of Bonts- A3, Vaypor and Riot+. The Riot+, in the standard width, is noticeably wider in the forefoot area than the Vaypors or A3. Almost a bit too wide for me ( although I'm glad I still have them since I recently fractured my 5th metatarsal and couldn't fit my foot into my Vaypors!). The Vaypor fits much more snug.

What size are you?

My last 2 pairs of shoes were 43, and the sizing wizard put me at a 42.5. Although was in a rush might do the sizing wizard again.

Ok, was going to send you a pair of old ones but at 47 I'm guessing they would be just a hair too big...

FYI, I take the same size in Bonts as I do shimano and specialized.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a special case because I ride using Speedplay and insist upon having a Speedplay specific sole.

I used Lake CX401 in 45.5 for about 5 years. I thought they were pretty damn good at the time. Nice and stiff and I liked the BOA.

In reality, they simply didn't fit well, but they fit better than the competing DMT offering (which was the only competitor at the time).

When SIDI came out with their version I tried it in a 45.5 and 46. The heel retention on the SIDI left all others in the dust. However, whilst the 46 SIDI had enough toe box (and the 45.5 not enough), neither was wide enough for my foot.

I then found a pair of Bont 2016 Vaypor+ in 46 wide on the cheap, with Speedplay drilling and thought I'll give them a go.

The first time I tried them on (sitting in a chair) I knew these shoes were so close to the mark it was not funny. My foot was instantly comfortable and that has never been the case before in any cycling shoe.

Then I rode with them using the rubbish stock inserts. Nope. Then I tried Spesh reds and blues. Nope.

Moulding definitely required. More width required. So, a few shims strapped onto feet (toes) under socks and a few times slipping them into hot shoes out of the oven followed by a few rides. A few goes with ring and ball moulding tool for spot work.

Bingo. Width sorted. Feet love the width. Well, the pinkies because there was always plenty of comfort on the big toe side and I ascribe some of that to the near impossible to change arch support. Nonetheless, almost there but I felt it was the inserts causing problems rather then the shoes.

Switched to Icebug slim inserts that have a very pronounced metatarsal bump. Better, but could be improved. Used two part epoxy putty to fill in the underside of the metatarsal bump so it would not compress under load. Major improvement and that is where I have stayed.

Loads of width. Lots of toe wiggle room. Very comfy indeed. Best I have ever had.

Heel, however, has never been tight and I've yet to sort that part out. A few trips to the oven should sort them out but the issue is a bit minor and I am loathed to mess around with a fit that works.

In essence, the Bont 2016+ Wide worked for me. I now also have Vaypor G, also in 46 Wide. Those are based on the newer last of the Vaypor S. That S last is a fraction narrower than the 2016+ and requires far more work to make it fit. I have managed, but I swear they are at their utmost limit now.

If you want wide, you have to choose the 2016+. It's the widest you're ever going to get unless you go custom made.

A key point is that most moulding is intended to shrink the shoe to your feet, not enlarge it. Shrinking is easy. Stretching is not and it requires far more patience (and tools like ring and ball) to get right.

All that said, I have tried on a set of Lake MX161 wide in 45 and they felt pretty damn good. Very wide indeed. However, I have not ridden in them. I suspect they will feel fine for about half an hour and then be a fail. The lack of ability to mould them would be their ultimate downfall, I suspect. But, I have not ridden with them so it is pure speculation.
Last edited by: laager: Oct 21, 20 2:39
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep onto my second pair of Bont semi custom. Cost a bit extra (approx €100) but it means you can buy double wide shoes. Or you can have one foot in single wide, the other double wide. Or one shoe longer than the other etc etc........plus you get to choose whatever combo of colours you want which is fun!!

Full custom is twice the price. They literally take moulds of your feet and then construct the shoes for you. Fully bespoke. For me that is not necessary.

Their sales team give excellent support in the semi custom program to help you measure your feet accurately and then they advise you which lengths and widths to go for. Sounds simple, but is very helpful.

My first pair of Bont semi custom lasted for 4 years or approx 80k km - so very comfortable. They were still looking and feeling great until one of the Boas separated from the shoe.

Then tried a pair of Lakes. Need to take care to select the right “Last” for you - big differences in volume between lasts. They are OK, nothing to complain about, but I don’t love them like I did the first pair of Bonts. The Lakes haven’t worn especially well - now looking very scuffed and worn after 18months and 30k km of outdoor riding.

So moving back to a 2nd pair fo Bont semi custom Vaypor+. Just ordered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake's online sizing method on their website is the best I've ever seen from any shoe company....ever.
If every shoe company did exactly what Lake has done, noone would ever send a pair of shoes back for sizing issues when online shopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Lake's online sizing method on their website is the best I've ever seen from any shoe company....ever.
If every shoe company did exactly what Lake has done, noone would ever send a pair of shoes back for sizing issues when online shopping.
I agree they do a far better job of it than others, but it's not perfect.
I bought 2 pairs of Lakes a couple of months back. I followed their guidance precisely. I didn't believe the answer it provided as i reckoned the shoes would be too small. I bought 1 and 1.5 sizes larger. I returned both. The 1.5 sizes larger was probably just about usable, but it felt a bit too cramped even light summer socks. Still the proportions were more realistic for a "wide" shoe than most, and I'm going to try going up another 1/2 size when they're back in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else encountered pain on the outside of the foot with cycling shoes around the tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal? Almost every cycling shoe on the market gives me pain there (and a lot of run shoes too). I've always tried to solve the issue by buying wider shoes as I do have a wide mid-foot, but I'd still get the pain, even literally just when trying the shoes on, never mind actually riding. Including wide shoes like Bont and Lake wides.

Finally asked a podiatrist, and he referred to the area there as the styloid (I never realized the foot had a styloid?), and he said the solution in general is to lift the heel to take pressure off that area. So he put a 5mm or so heel pad under the insole I was using, and that did seemed to help. Anyone else experience this?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Has anyone else encountered pain on the outside of the foot with cycling shoes around the tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal? Almost every cycling shoe on the market gives me pain there (and a lot of run shoes too). I've always tried to solve the issue by buying wider shoes as I do have a wide mid-foot, but I'd still get the pain, even literally just when trying the shoes on, never mind actually riding. Including wide shoes like Bont and Lake wides.

Finally asked a podiatrist, and he referred to the area there as the styloid (I never realized the foot had a styloid?), and he said the solution in general is to lift the heel to take pressure off that area. So he put a 5mm or so heel pad under the insole I was using, and that did seemed to help. Anyone else experience this?

Is that around the mid foot area in the lateral arch?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Lake vs Bont for wide feet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get pain around the 5th metatarsal as shown in attached pic. Not underneath it, but on the side of foot by it. I've tried stretching shoes -outward- at this point for extra width, and it never has helped that particular pain. It seems like flattening the rear of the foot up to this area via a heel wedge helps a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Lake TX222, that I have had for a couple of years and typically use on the Turbo Trainer. I normally use Sidi for outdoor riding. However, earlier this year I injured my right foot, and had swelling on my big toe joint.... any shoe that pressed on the joint was incredibly painful. Cycling in the Sidi's became a real issue, however, my Lakes were perfect.

I have am now 90% recovered, and wearing Sidi's is not an issue, however, I am alternating between the Lakes and Sidi's. The Lakes are more comfortable, the Sidi's feel a little more efficient. Maybe the next shoe investment will be a higher end pair of Lakes
Quote Reply

Prev Next