Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadians signed up for American races
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone (Canadian) has come across the problem of being signed up for a race in the United States yet.
The Canadian government keeps extending the border closure to the United States and really I don’t blame them. My concern is that if this keeps happening, will/does Ironman have a policy in place for us Canadians that want to race, but simply can’t get to the venue due to circumstances well beyond our control?
I guess the same could be said for Americans wanting to race in Canada as well, although I can see races being held in the USA long before Canada with weather being a major factor.
I know it’s 9 months away but I’m signed up for Musselman in July and was just wondering what could happen if the borders are still closed.

Thanks.

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not racing in America but I did 70.3 Cozumel. It's a misconception that the border is closed. Only the land border is closed and you can fly almost anywhere. Have to talk with customs upon returning hope that you understand the 14-day quarantine rules, but as long as you're flying and not driving have at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to this, you "just" have to quarantine for 14 days when you return home. If that is manageable with you work and family then you can go to the US by airplane as much as you want with 14 days quarantine each time you return.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you can fly into the states but only being 5 hours away I’m not wasting my money. I also can’t afford to take a “1” week vacation to race and “2” more weeks vacation to quarantine lol. I’m sure those laws will loosen by next summer. I’m just curious as to Ironman stance on the situation. I’m pretty sure it’ll be to bad so sad. Thanks for your hard earned dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 70% on point, but I’m curious about how this affects Canadian Pros racing in America, and if their travel to races would be considered “for commercial purposes,” and thereby excluded from quarantine requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
About 70% on point, but I’m curious about how this affects Canadian Pros racing in America, and if their travel to races would be considered “for commercial purposes,” and thereby excluded from quarantine requirements.

Nope, Cozumel had a few Canadian pros Taylor Reid and Jackson Laundry who had to quarantine when they returned home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone (Canadian) has come across the problem of being signed up for a race in the United States yet.
The Canadian government keeps extending the border closure to the United States and really I don’t blame them. My concern is that if this keeps happening, will/does Ironman have a policy in place for us Canadians that want to race, but simply can’t get to the venue due to circumstances well beyond our control?
I guess the same could be said for Americans wanting to race in Canada as well, although I can see races being held in the USA long before Canada with weather being a major factor.
I know it’s 9 months away but I’m signed up for Musselman in July and was just wondering what could happen if the borders are still closed.

Thanks.

Quinner

Just walk across like many others are doing east of the peace arch by about 10 miles. Its just a ditch you can jump over. You can probably do it with your bike, a la Lance in 2003 when he went off road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if you think you can blow off the quarantine because how will they know - the RCMP showed up at my house in Nova Scotia to make sure we were quarantining.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you're nowhere near St. Marys Bay, because apparently they can't find their way there.....:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for Ironman Canada in Aug and coming from the U.S. if there's a mandatory 2 week quarantine then could I still race showing up 2 days before? I'm dual citizen
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Signed up for Ironman Canada in Aug and coming from the U.S. if there's a mandatory 2 week quarantine then could I still race showing up 2 days before? I'm dual citizen

No. You would need to show up 2 weeks early.

They have come down pretty hard on people breaking the rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, it doesn’t matter what citizenship you have. If you leave Canada you have to quarantine for 14 days. I believe some provinces out east (N.S., P.E.I.) were kicking tires on a 10 day quarantine. Not sure if that went through or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read something on cbc.ca. They are trialing a system where you take a test and if negative your quarantine is 2 days + another test.

https://www.cbc.ca/...rder-pilot-1.5772637
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians signed up for American races [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only for the province of Alberta though, as you have to remain in AB for 14 days post-arrival regardless of test status. So that wouldn’t help for Ironman Canada. Hopefully it will be expanded to more provinces.
Quote Reply