Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide Tires and Rollers
Quote | Reply
I’m in need of assistance from the tireati - my good friend wants to learn Old-school-not-mindless-spinning-rollers. I’m not certain of this, but it feels to me that the wider my tires get, the less stable they feel on rollers. Normally, as a good friend I would set him up with the sketchiest tires possible and enjoy the crashing. Alas, he’s lost his job and is already beat down by life I actually want to help him not lose his mind by providing a good exercise option. So question is do I point him to some 23’s to help with the learning curve? I did google this and all you get is rolling resistance data.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Tires and Rollers [Mike Sharkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I notice a big difference between tire diameter and stability on the rollers. Tire pressure probably has as much if not more of an impact on contact area with the drums of the rollers. I would say with 23mm/25mm tires you friend will be fine on the rollers. The rest of it is all technique, balance and practice... If he's never ridden rollers before, he will fall, and that's fine, he can start in a doorway as a good way to get used to riding on them (using elbows as bumpers to help re-center on the rollers).

If you want to go really old school, did up 18mm tubulars, or 20mm tires... That said, the highest number of my crashes on rollers were with 20mm tires, but that relates more to being young and dumb, than to the tire size itself...
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Tires and Rollers [Mike Sharkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Trauma has said the tire pressure makes a big difference in the effort riding the rollers. That is assuming a road style tread pattern. Gravel style tread patterns on a tire will cause some interesting vibrations. Starting out, I would inflate the tires to their maximum allowable value. Low pressure feels like you are riding in sand.

The other thing that makes a big difference riding rollers, (although not so much when you have gears to use,) is the diameter of the Rollers themselves. Larger diameter (i think 4.25 or 4.5") will provide less effort. The smaller diameter (I think 2.5") provide more effort. Like I said if you are riding a road bike, no big deal, but to track riders it is worth consideration.

The most pleasant rollers to ride are the E-Motion rollers. They have a sliding carriage that helps stabilize fore and aft movements. And IMO, the best trainer system is the E-Motion with the new style load generator. That is the best of all the worlds, you can ride rollers, and in ERG mode, have variable load provided by your Virtual Platform of choice.

And also confirming what Trauma has said, starting out in a door frame is the best way to go. You can balance on both sides by just leaning against the frame of the door.

The other thing to remember is to breath and relax. It will be natural to drift back and forth a bit while riding. Don't be stiff and attempt to overcompensate.

One last thing, be careful of what you watch on TV while riding on the rollers. Action movies that have a lot of driving scenes, will most certainty divert your attention ! Nice calm movies, starting out, will bet better !
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Tires and Rollers [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to turn corners on Zwift on rollers, even on e-motions, is fun. Sort of.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Tires and Rollers [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t want to brag, but I’m able to fall if rollers even in straight Zwift sections!

My question was related to the difference in contact patch shape between a 28 mm and 22 mm tire. 28’s are more circular and noticeably more ‘twitchy’ in cross winds. 22/23s ride like crap but the longer contact patch is less twitchy. One of the few benefits of staying narrow I believe. I’ll do the experimentation and report back.
Quote Reply