Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using different muscle groups on trainer
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anybody moves around the saddle (deliberately) on the trainer or on the road to work different muscle groups (not standing, but sitting). For example, if you are doing 2x20s, will you do say, 10 minutes sitting at the back of the saddle, then 10 at the front of the saddle, etc, or do you sit in the exact same position on the saddle the entire time? My bike fit is good, but I did notice that when I do slide back to the rear of the saddle, cadence and power go down. But that could mean also that my hind leg muscles could be weak, idk.

Any insight would be helpful...hopefully I explained it correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Using different muscle groups on trainer [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do it to necessarily hit different muscles, but to vary pressure points. I'm good for about 15-20 minutes in one position, then change positions. By rotating several slightly different positions, I can spend endless hours on the saddle. If I was forced to stay in one position, I wouldn't last much more than an hour or so. When I'm indoors, I also like to sit straight up, and even lean back a little, for a nice stretch, and a little break on my old back and shoulders. It also makes it easier to type on my iPad :)

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Using different muscle groups on trainer [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if its the right thing to do, but yes, I am in the aerobars the entire time. For me there's like 3 different spots I use on the saddle (tip, middle, back), and each have a slightly different arm/hand position on the aerobars too. And you're absolutely right, there is much overthinking going on during some long trainer sessions. I'm positive now I'm doing this the wrong way, but for like a 30 min interval, I'll do 10 at the back, 10 in the middle, and 10 at the front of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is for Road Bike. For indoors in the winter I alternate back and forth between the traditional resistance trainer and traditional bike rollers. I use the trainer for the harder more specific training sessions and the rollers for easier time in the saddle and form work spinning higher RPM's.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
I'm positive now I'm doing this the wrong way, but for like a 30 min interval, I'll do 10 at the back, 10 in the middle, and 10 at the front of the saddle.

Why?

Even though I have a fairly high momentum trainer (KK) I really notice the difference vs riding on the road. It causes the muscles to engage differently... and doing hard efforts on the trainer is not very similar to outdoors.
Quote Reply