Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd Users
Quote | Reply
A few questions.
1. Without calibration, have you found stryd to be pretty accurate in terms of pace while using a treadmill? Was it accurate out of the box?

2. Does stryd recognize hills (incline), while on a treadmill.

3. Would you buy it again or just stick with a Garmin pod for the treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) My Stryd was 3% off. I calibrated it and incredibly consistent no matter what pace. Matched a heavy duty Lifecycle treadmill but not the smaller Precor model.

2) Didn't seem to notice the incline of the treadmill, but definitely inclines outside like underpasses.

3) My calibrated foot pod was close enough to the Stryd, but you don't get power. Stryd was better but not for $200 unless you really want power. I'd buy the Stryd again since I still prefer to run outside and quite happy with the power.
Last edited by: karlw2000: Dec 29, 17 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) yes. My Stryd was accurate on the TM straight out of the box. I simply put the auto calibration off then manually entered 100. There are some that need to calibrate on a track before but many are fine with 100.

2) no it does not recognize any grade over 1% so you will have to use the app and input the grade using the scroll bar. It’s a pain in the ass but doable

3) definitely buy again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful comparing treadmill speed to speed measured using the Stryd. Unless you have a particularly heavy-duty 'mill, the belt will run slower when your foot is in contact with it and faster when you are airborne. As a result, the treadmill will overestimate your actual speed, essentially as a result of crediting you for distance you didn't in fact cover when airborne.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Pretty good out of the box

2. I don't know

3. The jury is still out on that one, I'm just getting out of the "all easy running" phase of my run training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Not accurate, but then neither is my Garmin watch. I just set the appropriate distance after
2. No. It used to use an altimeter to understand incline so didn't work on a treadmill. I think that's still the case.
3. On the fence. If you live somewhere undulating I think it's a great tool to learn how to evenly pace your effort (i.e. varied speed). It's useful though on days where my legs feel crap or my HR is at an abnormal level and I want to know if I'm still outputting the same power.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. As someone who spends the Majority of my time on the treadmill it doesn’t make much sense if accurate power through my watch can’t be achieved because it can’t recognize incline without some effort. For the money, I would need as little hassle as possible. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a Stryd, so I've only run a few times with it. Out of the box it was measuring a tad slow (~5-8 sec per mile) on the treadmill (I also did a calibration test on my treadmill to find out how accurate my treadmill was) and with a little tweaking it's now spot on. My Garmin footpod was always off, especially if I changed pace during a run. It didn't handle pace changes well at all, and a change in cadence threw it off a lot too. I've tried changing pace and cadence to see if I could throw off the Stryd and it's been really accurate. That alone is worth it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Be careful comparing treadmill speed to speed measured using the Stryd. Unless you have a particularly heavy-duty 'mill, the belt will run slower when your foot is in contact with it and faster when you are airborne. As a result, the treadmill will overestimate your actual speed, essentially as a result of crediting you for distance you didn't in fact cover when airborne.

And that’s assuming the treadmill is actually correct too which doesn’t seem to generally be the case. Even my landice is about .4-.5 off.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I just got a Stryd, so I've only run a few times with it. Out of the box it was measuring a tad slow (~5-8 sec per mile) on the treadmill (I also did a calibration test on my treadmill to find out how accurate my treadmill was) and with a little tweaking it's now spot on.

See my comment above. You really shouldn't use a treadmill to adjust your Stryd (unless having them match is more important than having one of them to be correct).
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

And that’s assuming the treadmill is actually correct too which doesn’t seem to generally be the case. Even my landice is about .4-.5 off.

Yup, that too. We have an older Pacemaster that is 4.0% fast when nobody is running on it, and 1.2% fast even when somebody is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
A few questions.
1. Without calibration, have you found stryd to be pretty accurate in terms of pace while using a treadmill? Was it accurate out of the box?

1. Very accurate when going with a calibration factor of 100.0. Make sure you disavle autocalibrate.

2. Haven't tried.

3. Not sure. While it definitely does give better pace than a garmin footpod, I don't find running power as useful as cycling power. I guess I'm just more used to pacing myself off of HR. In addition I keep getting dropouts from the Stryd, approx once every 10 mins, which is very annoying. Tried reporting it to the Stryd people and suggesting that it might be defective, but didn't get any help. So apparently dropouts are to be expected (using a Fenix 3).
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [va1210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before you purchase a stryd foot pod, know this … My stryd is less than two years old and won’t hold a charge. When I contacted stryd to get the battery replaced, I was told they couldn’t do that and that I would have to buy a new foot pod. However, they were “generously” going to give me a 35% discount on a new foot pod. I asked them “Why in the hell would I buy a new one when you guys wouldn’t even stand behind my current one?” I’m not saying everyone will experience the same battery issue I am experiencing, but you need to be aware that they do not have a good system in place to address that situation when it does occur. It’s just incredible to me that they can’t swap out a battery and charge me some fee for that instead of requiring me to buy a whole new unit. Incredibly disappointed in their customer support.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [jtklein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd rant.35% off of a new unit is a pretty sweet deal in that situation.

The Stryd is sealed and not serviceable-- exactly the same as about every piece of triathlon tech on the market. If anything fails, they become disposable. So, we get a warranty. Electronics fail at a rare, but highly predictable rate. Yours failed almost a year out of its warranty, yet they still offered to take care of you. I am curious if you would have ranted if any other electronic component had failed, or if it was just the battery?

I guess you will stop buying all triathlon tech that comes with anything less than a lifetime warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product to last more than two years. So, by your logic, I should consider purchasing a new watch, hr monitor, etc. every 2 years as an ongoing cost? Unlike a watch, stryd is only used a small percentage of the day so it's like a car with a 3 yr/50000 warranty having a bad transmission after 3.5 years with 10k miles. Would you not grumble? My Garmins (and I am no Garmin fan) all have much longer lifespans and my wahoos far exceed the Garmins. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a similar lifespan with stryd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtklein wrote:
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product to last more than two years. So, by your logic, I should consider purchasing a new watch, hr monitor, etc. every 2 years as an ongoing cost? Unlike a watch, stryd is only used a small percentage of the day so it's like a car with a 3 yr/50000 warranty having a bad transmission after 3.5 years with 10k miles. Would you not grumble? My Garmins (and I am no Garmin fan) all have much longer lifespans and my wahoos far exceed the Garmins. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a similar lifespan with stryd.

It’s a little odd that you have a total of 5 posts here and two of them that I read are a copy paste statement on threads that are 2+ years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtklein wrote:
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product to last more than two years. So, by your logic, I should consider purchasing a new watch, hr monitor, etc. every 2 years as an ongoing cost?
You are confusing "possible" and "probable." It is possible that any electronic device will fail at 2 years, but it is not probable. You suffered an improbable event, but the company made you an offer to help you out.

It is not unreasonable at all to want electronic devices to last longer than 2 years; it is what I hope for in all my electronics products as well. But, there is a known and highly predictable probability that a small percentage of all electronics products will fail young. It has nothing to do with use, abuse, and design. It is just the reality of semiconductors. I would be bumming if I got a lottery ticket device like yours that failed at 2 years and a year out of warranty, but then I would be elated when they offered me a 35% goodwill discount on a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I originally bought mine for treadmill Zwifting and found it to read consistently low by ~40sec/mi (both on multiple treadmills at the gym, and wrt HR and perceived effort). I also found running on Zwift to be a fairly unengaging experience (compared to biking).

That being said, I LOVE my Stryd for outdoor running. It helps to have accurate real time pace (the Garmin GPS is all over the place and useless for this), and the power reading helps me to not overcook things on the hills (HR has a bit of a lag, so is less useful).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
A few questions.

1. Yes, it's pretty good, better than my Garmin pod out of the box but after calibration they were the same.

2. I don't know if the new ones do but mine doesn't. I got mine in October of 2017. Edit: It does read higher when I run up real hills. I don't do hills on the treadmill.

3. No, I wouldn't buy it again but not because of calibration.
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 18, 20 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Here is stryd article relating directly to this. Belt speed slows momentarily when in contact, and increases when airborne, giving false paces.

https://blog.stryd.com/...ow-treadmill-pace-2/

My treadmill at 10mph is a tad over 7min\mile for reference using stryd

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I originally bought mine for treadmill Zwifting and found it to read consistently low by ~40sec/mi (both on multiple treadmills at the gym, and wrt HR and perceived effort). I also found running on Zwift to be a fairly unengaging experience (compared to biking).

That being said, I LOVE my Stryd for outdoor running. It helps to have accurate real time pace (the Garmin GPS is all over the place and useless for this), and the power reading helps me to not overcook things on the hills (HR has a bit of a lag, so is less useful).

so much ditto to this post.

i wanted to use the stryd for treadmill runs but its so far off what the threadmill reads, and stryd says that its suppose to be because they are THAT much more accurate than treadmills. oh... you mean the $12k woodways that i run on? i think not.

if its off on the treadmill it makes me really question its accuracy outside, but as far as pacing i completely agree that i much prefer using the stryd pace over my 935's gps pace that lags, slow, screws up if its cloudy.

its found a very indispensable niche in my running, but probably not what the creators designed it for primarily.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please refer to my prior post. Stryd is off on treadmills because it is more accurate. Foot travel distance and belt speed are different. You may be exerting a 6 min mile pace at treadmill 10mph, but the foot travel differs, which is what stryd accurately measures, and why it is better than gps.

Biomechanics on a treadmill differ than outdoors running. You develop run specific power, but the movement itself is different. You can calibrate stryd to match belt speed. I get accurate paces when I calibrate stryd in zwift, however this affects other measurements and is recommended against by stryd.

If you want accurate pacing, you need a device to measure belt speed dynamically in real time, such as NPE Runn.

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Oct 18, 20 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will answer your last question first. Right now I wouldn’t buy it especially if I were in the market for a watch. I would just buy the COROS Pace 2 and be done with it. Its basically as accurate as a Stryd (see DCRainmakers review) at the same cost. I have found the Stryd to be acccurate but from what I recall it wont recognize incline on a treadmill automatically because it relies on elevation. I have not had any issues with accuracy regarding pace on a treadmill but I dont run on one that often to be honest.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Stryd is off on treadmills because it is more accurate.

again, i would buy this statement if i ran on cheaper standard treadmills, but on a woodway? nope.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd Users [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what is trying to say that your treadmill might be accurate but your gait is not the same as the pace of the treadmill. Longer/shorter strides won’t slow down/speed up the treadmill but it does change your pace. So the treadmill can’t account for that but the Stryd can’t. I see this with myself all the time when I am on the treadmill which is why I really like the Stryd. Sadly I’ll be moving indoors more in a few months due to weather.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply