Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta!
Quote | Reply
Announcement: https://twitter.com/...135545936601088?s=20

Damn, didn't think that'd happen, but I guess with Kona not happening it makes sense. Very curious to see how well he'll do.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [jondavid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wicked that the guy who finished 5th in Kona gets to do an event as massive as a grand tour, and most of his peers have been relegated to local races, Strava KOMs, and cute little national hour records.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And in a big team not just a making-up-the-numbers one.

Good luck to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He will be in diesel engine mode for Carapaz (and let's see what Froome does or if Froome becomes a utility man for Carapaz). Cam was diesel guy in some of the classics already so he should be solid team help at Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great for him and clearly he has always wanted to be on a big world tour bike team and taken seriously, but this is the end of him for triathlon. He was just starting to get somewhere with his swim/run focus but already this season he had bad crashes in the classics and broke some ribs and hasnt swum for a month. his running has fallen off a lot too.

Bit sad as a fan to watch as if he continued his focus on swim/run he probably could have got on the podium in kona but no way he can now with all these world tour racing ruining his training for tri
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LordFarquuad wrote:
but this is the end of him for triathlon.

I don't think this is for sure. It's only the end of triathlon for him if he wants it to be. Just because he gets out of swimming or running shape for a bit does not mean he cannot get it back before he's too old to be competitive....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
LordFarquuad wrote:
but this is the end of him for triathlon.

I don't think this is for sure. It's only the end of triathlon for him if he wants it to be. Just because he gets out of swimming or running shape for a bit does not mean he cannot get it back before he's too old to be competitive....

I heard him interviewed in a podcast fairly recently and he still sounded like triathlon was his end goal and Ineos were helping with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget that he is a former WorldTour Rider for Carbondale before he switched to Tris. If I remember right he rode off the front of the peloton by in the 2014 Tour of Utah by pedaling in the aero tuck down a canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see it a it different. Let's not forget that he has been at this level before as a cyclist (i.e. not great but decent domestique) so he is not getting anything he hasn't had before. With the depth in TT talent at the top level, he won't be a factor in any time trial. So I don't think he will forget triathlon to focus on being (again) an average pro cyclist. He has a contract with Ineos so he has to ride to support Carapaz and maybe Froome. If Kona would be happening, I am certain he would have had a different schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I see it a it different. Let's not forget that he has been at this level before as a cyclist (i.e. not great but decent domestique) so he is not getting anything he hasn't had before. With the depth in TT talent at the top level, he won't be a factor in any time trial. So I don't think he will forget triathlon to focus on being (again) an average pro cyclist. He has a contract with Ineos so he has to ride to support Carapaz and maybe Froome. If Kona would be happening, I am certain he would have had a different schedule.

I completely agree. Cam is a pro athlete and he has a chance to do pro level racing in one of the top 5 races in the cycling calendar on one of the top teams in the world. He can do that, or just go in circles training for triathlons that are largely not happening. Cam has won enough tier 2 events in triathlon, that he'd probably rather race the Vuelta vs a low prominence triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Wicked that the guy who finished 5th in Kona gets to do an event as massive as a grand tour, and most of his peers have been relegated to local races, Strava KOMs, and cute little national hour records.
^^^THIS^^^
People saying he is done with tri's? He may be cycling focused now but had been sneaking in tri related training for some part of the season. Only a handful of his peers will have even raced let alone grand tours and classics. I am sure after the Vuelta he will head back to Australia for the summer focusing on tri's again and we will have some sort of season here. If anything I would think it would only give him an advantage over his peers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:

In hindsight, he picked a pretty good year to go back to pro-cycling, financially speaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jondavid wrote:

Damn, didn't think that'd happen, but I guess with Kona not happening it makes sense. Very curious to see how well he'll do.

Interesting. I wonder how some rider who is actually on the team and got snubbed for a grand tour spot feels about it. Maybe from a publicity standpoint it makes sense for Ineos, but just seems like it could disrupt an organization's team dynamic bringing in a guest rider like this. I'd also be curious about how Froome and Carapaz feel about putting this guy on the Vuelta squad and if they've ever ridden with him. And sure, he may be an ex-pro, but it seems like we've seen a lot more crashes this year (speculation is guys are rusty, haven't been racing as much), so if he gets into or causes any type of crash could be a lot of blowback. Ineos has already had a lot of bad luck this year, this just seems like bad juju to me. We've seen a few tri guys go back into cycling before, its never particularly interesting (they are total non-factors).
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
jondavid wrote:

Interesting. I wonder how some rider who is actually on the team and got snubbed for a grand tour spot feels about it. Maybe from a publicity standpoint it makes sense for Ineos, but just seems like it could disrupt an organization's team dynamic bringing in a guest rider like this. I'd also be curious about how Froome and Carapaz feel about putting this guy on the Vuelta squad and if they've ever ridden with him. And sure, he may be an ex-pro, but it seems like we've seen a lot more crashes this year (speculation is guys are rusty, haven't been racing as much), so if he gets into or causes any type of crash could be a lot of blowback. Ineos has already had a lot of bad luck this year, this just seems like bad juju to me. We've seen a few tri guys go back into cycling before, its never particularly interesting (they are total non-factors).

He's been training with Froome and Thomas for years...they have the same coach. He's been to almost every team camp Sky/Ineos has had for the past few years and numerous times they've offered him a spot on the team.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
tri_yoda wrote:
jondavid wrote:

So much ignorance in this post.First off.Cam and Froome are mates and have done plenty of training together during Cams lead up to getting into Ironman.Cam has posted photos of the two of them riding together a number of times and you have to think that friendship is part of the reason Can got his gig at Ineos.It was his friendship with Froome that , in typical ST fashion,had some triathletes quietly questioning if he was on the "Froome Program"
Cam has already been driving the train at the front of the peloton at two of the rescheduled "Classics" in the last few weeks so his ability to ride with the big boys as a dimestique is proven.He is a cyclist who has swapped to triathlon and not the other way around.
If Hawaii had not been cancelled then I am sure his race calendar would have been different but I am sure Ineos is not into triathletes being novelty athletes like we are seeing here in ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
vanchize wrote:
^^^THIS^^^
People saying he is done with tri's? He may be cycling focused now but had been sneaking in tri related training for some part of the season. Only a handful of his peers will have even raced let alone grand tours and classics. I am sure after the Vuelta he will head back to Australia for the summer focusing on tri's again and we will have some sort of season here. If anything I would think it would only give him an advantage over his peers.
He is on the Australian team for the UCI Esports World Championship the week before Challenge Daytona in December.Don't know where he will be based for his virtual race but maybe he can do both events.He is silly enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the choice of being a Pro triathlete or ride for team Ineos, I would have chosen Ineos as Well. If for nothing else, the paycheck is probably better. This May hurt his swimming and running, But would improve his cycling?
As for him returning to tris, I wouldn’t ve very concerned. It’ll take some time for him to get back on top of swimming and running, But it’s not like he’ll be a beginner
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding to that ignorance so no one else had to.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I was thinking when Ironman races started to get postponed or cancelled. Wurf is on the Innoes payroll while working with his existing coach in a year few top tier triathlons going ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
Given the choice of being a Pro triathlete or ride for team Ineos, I would have chosen Ineos as Well

I don’t think this is the choice he is making as others have said. I think he’s doing a cycling race then likely returning to triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
brasch wrote:
Given the choice of being a Pro triathlete or ride for team Ineos, I would have chosen Ineos as Well

I don’t think this is the choice he is making as others have said. I think he’s doing a cycling race then likely returning to triathlon.

His contract with Ineos was always as a diesel man to protect Ineos riders and also fit in tris around the original pre Covid19 world tour schedule in selected races with the plan to head back to Kona. So it was never a "cycling or nothing" contract. it was more of a contract where he got to do both and the team got to use him for his strengths. Given there are no tris and three Grand tours back to back to back with classics overlaid on top of the Giro, there was room for Cam to do this thing protecting their protected riders. As ThailandUltras and others have said, we'll expect him back at Tris this summer in Australia so his bike "camp" on the world tour should make him pretty solid. No way any pro triathlete is going to be able to train the bike in a focused block like Cam will be able to at the Vuelta. If he goes back to Oz and does his two week quarantine and shows up at IM Western OZ, its going to be ridiculous what his lead is at T2 and he should be able to jog it in for the race win quite easily given that almost no one can go race in Australia right now other than some Aussies and Kiwis.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As he is an Andorra resident and doesn't reside in Aus he may not be able to get back this summer. Our Prime Minister has just announced chartering planes to try to bring our stuck Aussies home, hoping to have many home by March. As I have said before on other posts here, it isn't as easy as just buying a ticket and quarantining, even for residents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He won't be allowed in WA. Also while we dismiss another's POV as ignorance, the point was, could he use the time better to train the swim and run for Kona 2021.

Now it might be as simple as Ineos gives him a pay cheque. But in terms of pure I want to win Kona this may compromise it a little. Not so much as it will tire him out, but he could be missing an opportunity to work on his weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have observed, he has spent very little of his time in Australia. It's either Andorra or the US.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did used to come home to Oz each year and I didn't think about quarantine so he may not come home this year second thoughts. IMWA has been cancelled and he wouldn't be able to get into WA anyway and have to quarantine a second time if he did.
Quote Reply

Prev Next