Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michaux State Forest. Gravel or MTB?
Quote | Reply
Anyone here ridden in the Michaux State Forest in Southern PA? I have a day to give and want to drive out there. Looking at gravel map and MTB sites I see routes for both. Any rec’s?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Michaux State Forest. Gravel or MTB? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
Anyone here ridden in the Michaux State Forest in Southern PA? I have a day to give and want to drive out there. Looking at gravel map and MTB sites I see routes for both. Any rec’s?

From what I was told, it's one of the hardest and more difficult terrain one could find on the East Coast. Def MTB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:

I'm headed there this afternoon to MTB. Do you like technical terrain? As in rocks, rocks and more rocks? Then take the mtb. Here's a link to the race courses for the Michaux endurance series. There's a race in the southern, middle and northern parts of the forest. https://gettysburgbicycle.com/?page_id=22. There is a FB Group called Mountain Bikers of Michaux. Post in there for more ride suggestions.

The gravel is also good. The Iron Cross race started in 2002 or 2003, before the current wave of gravel races. Just riding the top of the ridges, Piney Mountain Ridge Road and Ridge Road, is a nice ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:

A 50 mile gravel ride I did earlier this year. Starts at the Big Flat ATV lot, which has a pit toilet and is centrally located so you can stop and refuel. Has a bunch of pavement too. It uses some of the Iron Cross course.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5527884703
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you want you are riding. I've spent some time in Michaux but on a motorcycle or on foot.

If you want to ride the named roads that the normies would drive their car down, the gravel bike is the move.

If you want to ride the forrest roads that the locals ride their dirt bikes and atvs down, the moutain bike is the move.

PM me after you go. I'd like to hear what route you ended up choosing and how it worked out for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here and would recommend a mountain bike. Gravel bike is totally fine if you stay on the gravel roads and many do just that. But if you want any single track I'd definitely go to the mountain bike side of things!

Another note, Michaux has a lot of users. Currently archery hunting is in season and I think bear season is too. Just riding the paved roads through Michaux this past weekend you could feel the pressure in the woods...lots of animals on the move and vehicles parked at trailheads. I also saw a LOT of cyclists oblivious to this wearing dark clothes. Just be careful and realize that there are many reasons to be in the woods and not everyone is expecting a cyclist to be out in the boonies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Josh has a lot of insight here this is a great place to ride! I would also add that if you bring the gravel bike there are some killer roads to ride around here as well with some awesome climbs. If you want a tour guide PM me I don't mind showing you around South Central PA if I'm off work.
Quote Reply
Re: Michaux State Forest. Gravel or MTB? [joshjan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 days available, so I'll try both. MTB this week, Gravel next. I have an orange vest I wear for road ride, sounds like I should wear it. Given lasts week's Mountain Lion episode I plan to be visible and noisy. Maybe I should put some cards in my spokes .....

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Michaux State Forest. Gravel or MTB? [EDavis192] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the offer. As of now I'll be riding 11:30ish for 2-3 hours. I was thinking to ride MTB but as think about hunting season I might be better off staying out of the woods

Brian
Quote Reply