Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you get better at two things at the same time?
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to improve my cycling and my running in the same 12-week period by doing a 12-week Sufferfest plan as well as a running plan (Barry P or McMillan). Is this possible or should I just pick one plan and sprinkle in the other? (Time isn't an issue but I am 55 yrs. old.)
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest possible issues are injury or burnout.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
large increases in volume & intensity at the same time work great........until they don't.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes because volume is not the variable that makes you better or else everyone training for Ironman would be on the pro's heels. ( THEY ARE NOT).

This comes down to coaching rather then effort / volume. changing habits and timing patterns.

Proper speed work and then easy work weeks.

Good luck. and if you just get your wt down both get better so there is that too.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to ask what the poster's starting point is. Its hard if you are Frodo or Brownlee. For someone who has been approaching the sport semi seriously, there may be lots of buffer to improve multiple sports at the same time "to a limit" (that you mention. That's the big question. I think the original poster has to answer what his starting point is and years of base, body composition etc etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was going to ask what the poster's starting point is. Its hard if you are Frodo or Brownlee. For someone who has been approaching the sport semi seriously, there may be lots of buffer to improve multiple sports at the same time "to a limit" (that you mention. That's the big question. I think the original poster has to answer what his starting point is and years of base, body composition etc etc etc.

+1

If untrained to begin with, simply training ome sports will make you better im both. If you already run a 65min HM or have a 5.5w/kg FTP, you might wanna approach it differently:)

I guess op is somewhere in between. My 2 cents, based on own experience, is you can try both, but need to choose one main focus. You cant handle infinite volume - Even if time isnt an issue you have to «train to train» - iow build gradually to handle your desired load. Dont go from 4 hrs/week to 25hrs/week..

Again - in my experience - if you have some sort of endurance background - anything below 10-12 hrs week should work as long as u dial intensitet back untill you feel volume is managable (and- this is really where The key to any sucessfull program lies - train all The intensity you can handle but not more).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it and you likely can too.
(*and I’m older than you)

Bike volume and intensity can easily be ramped while adding R miles but running is the injury risk.

Going slow and just adding R miles works, as those who did 100/100 know very well. It improves base, aerobic fitness and helps withstand your body for the rigors of faster running later.

Be vigilant for niggles and rest when needed but you most certainly can improve the cycling (ftp) and run (base) at the same time
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you calling me fat? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Can you get better at two things at the same time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My starting point(s):
I've completed 5 HIM's (last was Boulder 2019), 7 marathons, a lot of 1/2 marathons. I'm FOP(age-group) swimmer and cyclist and BOP runner. COVID has meant much more cycling (live in AZ) and zero swimming and minimal runs (1-3 / week - slow).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering you are already a FOP swim / cyclist, you may have answered your own question ;-) ... I certainly would encourage you to invest time in your running with the other two scheduled in a way that they do not negatively impact your running.

Good Luck!!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure haha.

No just saying there is a difference in improve in skill and power production vs just losing wt to get better.

Or do both and get great results.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I'm hoping to improve my cycling and my running in the same 12-week period by doing a 12-week Sufferfest plan as well as a running plan (Barry P or McMillan). Is this possible or should I just pick one plan and sprinkle in the other? (Time isn't an issue but I am 55 yrs. old.)

Can you improve both, yes, but not as much as focusing on one. Since you’re FOP swim and bike, do a run focus and see how much it cannibalizes the other two, especially since we all know the run is where it’s won.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply