Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

700x28 gravel tires
Quote | Reply
Whats your experience with 28x700 gravel tires for packed dirt/limestone roads on a endurance bike? I have a old aluminum trek that I would like to try on dirt roads before I try a full gravel bike. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: 700x28 gravel tires [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
28 will get you by- but i'd jump to a 30 or 32 if you could. I had good luck with the hutchinson sector in 700x32 that was more of a road tire that i could get through some light gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultimately it depends on how smooth and clean the smooth hardpack is. Some well-maintained stuff is fine even on 23mm road tires with paper-thin sidewalls. The easiest way to find out is to give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride plenty of gravel on 28s, they're fine for basically anything but freshly laid gravel. Though while they're fine for gravel "secteurs" of a few kilometres at a time, I wouldn't want to ride long distances without bigger tires.

I think you should prioritize volume over tread/knobs. If you go with a knobby you might only fit 28 but could get 30 with slicker tires. I also like more puncture protection for gravel so have used Conti GP4seasons and Vittoria Corsa Controls. Both fine, though I prefer the road feel of the Vittorias and the tan sidewalls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaniD wrote:
Whats your experience with 28x700 gravel tires for packed dirt/limestone roads on a endurance bike? I have a old aluminum trek that I would like to try on dirt roads before I try a full gravel bike. Any recommendations?

Conti GP5000. If there is a tire than can do it all, that is it. Get the non-tubeless and use latex tubes unless you think you'll encounter really sharp gnarly bits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"like to try on dirt roads before I try a full gravel bike"

Just remember that you aren't giving yourself a fair trial of gravel with this setup.

You are riding a bike that very likely has a much steeper steering tube making the handling unlike a current gravel bike.

Riding a 28 or even a 33mm tire isn't the same as a nice 38-42mm tire. Worlds of difference in comfort, so just keep these bits in mind as you try it. Just a very different experience overall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! I can't imagine. I now run 650b @ 47mm almost exclusively my gravel bike, even on the road. I've got a second set of wheels setup for road that are 700x32 but find that more often than not I just keep the plush 47's on there - doing about 90 on the road tomorrow with that setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I did for a year or so on an old Giant that could fit pretty large tires in the brake calipers. 28 Schwalbe One Tubeless is what I used. The lowest possible pressure was the right pressure. It was perfectly fine for crushed limestone rails to trail type stuff and occasional packed dirt. The widest tire you can fit and the lowest pressure you can use are going to be more importantly than tread.
Quote Reply
Re: 700x28 gravel tires [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 700x28 gravel tires [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what the question is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience with different tires on CX style bike have all been good as follows:

Road: 28 no problem and very nice rider over 23s
Mixed - like Belgian Waffle (Pavement and dirt). 32 Maxxis Speed Terrane.
Dirt - 38 Maxxis Rambler.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply