Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
cranks and chainrings sizing help
Quote | Reply
Hi ST ers,

Interested in sizing down cranks from 165 to 155 or 150.

Im 5'5" 135 50 y/o avg 20-22 mph for 70.3 distance currently running 50/34 165 on cervelo p2

I want to get more flexibility in my hips for run and also in a better aero position. Saddle is JCobb38 which fits great

Looking at options from JCobb and Rotor.
Any ideas welcomed
Quote Reply
Re: cranks and chainrings sizing help [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bottom bracket shell does your frame have?
Quote Reply
Re: cranks and chainrings sizing help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBright connect 24x90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to change your chainring sizes along with the crank arm length change to keep the Gain ratios the same (i.e. your cadence will change with the shorter crank length, but by also changing chainring sizes and/or cassette you can keep the distance your foot travels relative to the distance the bike travels the same. See here for a longer explanation by the extraordinary Sheldon Brown). Luckily Sheldon's old calculator is still available here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
BBright connect 24x90

Your frame has a BBright bottom bracket shell.

"24x90" means that the bottom bracket bearings/adaptor is for Shimano cranksets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do I find this shell information, name, or size? Wow didnt realize how confusing these bottom brackets are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How do I find this shell information, name, or size?"

You already said it was BBright.

That's all you need to know about your frame.

Now you decide on which crankset you want that will fit it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guess im overthinking lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered getting a crankset with an integrated power meter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No do those come in 150 or 155 size. If so what brands?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meters only start at 165 single and dual sided at Rotor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks missed that! Probably because of the cost to set this up. Will probably go with the no power meter option for now. Any knowledge of the JCobb carbon short crankset? They have 150s opposed to 155s for Rotor both about $600.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a Power2max power meter with rotor cranks for years now trialling between 150-170 and never had an issue with their power meters. Just but the compatible crank power meter spider to give you the flexibility to change crank lengths. I would make sure I buy the new Aldhu Rotor cranks when you do buy them.

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ngeco-rotor-aldhu-power-meter-set-road/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 axel 150 24 smallest is 155
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:

BBright is based on a 30mm axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my head is ready to explode with these f-----n bottom brackets. more confused now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing to be confused about.

BBright is simply 11mm wider than Pressfit30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2019 Felt IA16 (I'm pretty sure that has same BB design as your Cervelo). Not long after I bought it, I swapped out the stock crankset for a 155 crank with full compact (50/34) chain rings. At the time I made the switch, Cobb and Rotor were the only sources for 155 cranks (and, based on your OP, sounds like they still are).

I was told that the Rotor cranks were higher quality, but also much more expensive. I chose the Cobb cranks. My LBS handled all the install. Took a few adjustments at first to get the front derailleur shifting dialed in, but no issue since then. Been very happy with the shorter cranks - really like making smaller circles with my legs (for reference, I'm 5' 7", with 30" inseam).

Power meters on the cranks weren't a factor for me, as I already had Assioma Duo power meter pedals.

Hope your purchase works our well for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
smallhips wrote:

BUT, lots of companies make BBs that’ll fit in a BBRight (Cervelo) frame. I currently have a BB from Wheels Manufacturing set up for GXP, which could be used for Shimano by swapping out the left side bearing. Could also go DUB with the right bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: cranks and chainrings sizing help [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
smallhips wrote:

BUT, lots of companies make BBs that’ll fit in a BBRight (Cervelo) frame. I currently have a BB from Wheels Manufacturing set up for GXP, which could be used for Shimano by swapping out the left side bearing. Could also go DUB with the right bearings.

OP was under the impression that they could only use a crankset with a 24mm axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Mudge wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
smallhips wrote:

OP was under the impression that they could only use a crankset with a 24mm axle.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. All they said is that it’s currently set up for 24mm spindles. In fact, given the admitted confusion about BB standards, I would guess the OP couldn’t possibly conclude it would only take a 24mm spindle.
Quote Reply
Re: cranks and chainrings sizing help [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Mudge wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
smallhips wrote:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. All they said is that it’s currently set up for 24mm spindles. In fact, given the admitted confusion about BB standards, I would guess the OP couldn’t possibly conclude it would only take a 24mm spindle.

Post #14 basically says that the OP wants 150mm cranks.

Post #17, OP basically says that 150mm cranks are only available with a 30mm axle and not a 24mm axle.

In post #19, OP is perplexed that BBright is based on a 30mm axle.

I am pretty sure that if you ask the OP what their thought process was, it would fit my analysis.
Quote Reply

Prev Next