Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin text alerts not working
Quote | Reply
I have the issue with multiple Garmin devices.....call alerts come through but not the texts.

Googled it and saw a bunch of complaints, but no real answers.

Thought I'd ask here before I call Garmin tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin text alerts not working [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Android or iPhone? If it is multiple devices, then it is probably a setting on the phone or in the Garmin Connect app. On the iPhone, there is a setting in each device's Bluetooth options to allow notifications. Check that setting for your devices.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin text alerts not working [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Android or iPhone? If it is multiple devices, then it is probably a setting on the phone or in the Garmin Connect app. On the iPhone, there is a setting in each device's Bluetooth options to allow notifications. Check that setting for your devices.

Dang it, forgot to specify.

iPhone, although I think it is set correctly.
Last edited by: greenlawnracing: Oct 16, 20 6:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 places to look:

In the iPhone Bluetooth settings, click the little info bubble by the device. Check that "Share System Notifications" is on.

In the Garmin Connect settings, click each device, select "Sounds & Alerts," and then "Smart Notifications." Click into each category mad make sure that you have show "All" where you want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using Android, and a 735xt, and over the 4 years I've had the watch, the text alerts come and go with the wind. Sometimes they are there, sometimes they are gone, sometimes a reboot of the watch fixes it, sometimes a reboot of the phone fixes it, sometimes after a watch reboot I'll get alerts for notifications I have disabled in Garmin Connect until I enable and re-disable them.

Recently the situation has been better, I don't think I've lost text message alerts in the past 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin text alerts not working [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine have come and gone more recently this year than before.

I don’t think I have had the texts work at all since the spring.

I thought it was me doing something wrong. I’m glad that it might not me be after all!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin text alerts not working [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called Garmin and they had me walk through all the steps that I found via Google.

Said they weren't familiar with the issue, but did find some prior cases after searching.

Said they opened a ticket, but I did not receive the email I was supposed to get?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not wait around; I would just drop the hammer.

I would forget all of your devices from Bluetooth. Then delete the Garmin Connect app from your phone. Then, re-download the Garmin Connect app and reconnect all of your devices. You lose nothing by doing this, just the time it takes, which is not that bad. This would get you a clean and fresh setup in both your phone, GC, and your devices.

I had to do this a few times when Apple first released iOS 13 and diagnosed some bugs in their Bluetooth stack on my phone. I got pretty good at it.

As far as I know, I have never missed a text on any of my devices in the years since they introduced the feature. If you are having a problem, it is probably something janky and obscure between the phone and GC. The nuclear option would give you a fresh start.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin text alerts not working [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I would not wait around; I would just drop the hammer.

I would forget all of your devices from Bluetooth. Then delete the Garmin Connect app from your phone. Then, re-download the Garmin Connect app and reconnect all of your devices. You lose nothing by doing this, just the time it takes, which is not that bad. This would get you a clean and fresh setup in both your phone, GC, and your devices.

I had to do this a few times when Apple first released iOS 13 and diagnosed some bugs in their Bluetooth stack on my phone. I got pretty good at it.

As far as I know, I have never missed a text on any of my devices in the years since they introduced the feature. If you are having a problem, it is probably something janky and obscure between the phone and GC. The nuclear option would give you a fresh start.

Damnit! I tried that and thought I was on to something because it kinda looked like I was having a different experience during the setup.

Nope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I THINK I have it! Garmin replied to my email and advised me that the message previews must be set to "always". I was fairly certain I'd tried that, but toggling it on and off appears to have corrected the issue. I currently have it on "when unlocked" as I really wouldn't want previews to show up on my work phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m on Android and my texts stopped showing on my Fenix 6 this past week. I can’t remember but I probably updated GCM or the Messages app or both, and when I looked at the app settings in Garmin Connect Mobile, the slider for Messages was turned off in the Applications section, for notifications. I turned back on the slider so that texts and notifications from the app would go through to the watch and the issue was fixed.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the live track auto start feature to work consistently (inconsistent since I also paired an edge 830 to my phone via GCM, even though auto start is turned off for the edge and it doesn’t work most of the time even when I’m running and the edge isn’t even connected.
Quote Reply