Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1** part2 done
Quote | Reply
Got frame back from paint time to rebuild.
Sticking with 2013 tech and rim brakes.

Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Oct 17, 20 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Are you going all internal cabling ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
should be a fun project :D

You can't paint over the stem though... always thought the teeth were top notch on those stems

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool - I got a plasma 3 frame a couple seasons ago and build it up as a 1X and used the pd aeria system on the front end. I love it
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! I love the shark stem on my Plasma 3!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [Bigvern777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:
Cool - I got a plasma 3 frame a couple seasons ago and build it up as a 1X and used the pd aeria system on the front end. I love it

Do you route the rear cable completely internally or does it enter the frame near the head tube ?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes , this bike is a Di2 bike only ( or eTap)
The main Di2 wire and rear brake housing go thru the stem then a slot in the steer tube then into the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
The main Di2 wire and rear brake housing go thru the stem then a slot in the steer tube then into the frame.

How big is the hole on the front of the steering column ? Is it round or oval ?

My steering column was not drilled on the back of the steering column. I had it drilled by a carbon expert

But I think the hole on the front is too small. So my brake cable comes down from the top of the steering tube which isn't ideal.

BTW, I have tested this bike against a few others and I haven't found anything better yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the paint job.

If you want some pics how I drilled the frame to route the rear brake cable & wires for di2 PM me

Also like marcag I've tested this bike with some Profile Aeria ultimate & tri rig Alphas and most current TT bikes will lose to the plasma 3 when all are in race trim.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enters near the head tube but the aeria front end hydration hides it. I’ll try to attach a photo.
Last edited by: Bigvern777: Oct 14, 20 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:
Enters near the head tube but the aeria front end hydration hides it. I’ll try to attach a photo.

Please !

The hole on the front tube is also for the pre-load cyclinder ? If so, mine is too small for both the pre-load and the cable. It probably needs to be a little longer (further down)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just uploaded on my previous post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

My steering column was not drilled on the back of the steering column. I had it drilled by a carbon expert

But I think the hole on the front is too small. So my brake cable comes down from the top of the steering tube which isn't ideal.

BTW, I have tested this bike against a few others and I haven't found anything better yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Like the update. Maybe mine is due for a freshen-up as well.

Out of curiosity, where are you putting the junction box? I think you previously mentioned you placed it under the saddle, correct?

marcag wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

The rear brake (along the portly mass) is the only quibble I have about the bike. One has to use a 7800 Dura Ace rear brake, and the routing really does make the braking rather subpar.

Also, the way you described is exactly how the rear brake housing is routed on my frame (pre-drilled). From the stem side, there's a forward opening in the steer tube, from which the Di2 wire and rear brake housing enters. Both the wire and the housing travels a slight distance downward, while within the steering tube, before exiting via a aftward opening in the steer tube. Real PITA to deal with when I need to do maintenance (which, thankfully is only about once every three years or so).

Also, surprised that an engineer for Argon rides a Scott ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:

What size cassette are you running?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 casettes - 11-28 for flats and 11-36 for hillier stuff. SRAM mechanical 1X with 52 chainring.

Overall goal of the bike was to build a budget super bike. I found the older plasma 3 frame for sale which had never been built up. Then just did 1x mechanical for low cost and simplicity, I had the aeria front end from my previous bike. Tririg alpha front brake with hood trimmed down to be flush with aeria hydration box
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks

My steering tube was not pre-drilled. There was a little sticker where to drill, which I did, or I should say had done
The hole on the front (near head tube) is smaller on mine. I am going to make it bigger

I got a new Vision stem that allows cable routing inside the stem.Until now I have been using Aeria.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Out of curiosity, where are you putting the junction box? I think you previously mentioned you placed it under the saddle, correct?

I 3d printed a little fairing that attaches to under the stem. I need to redo one since I broke it

echappist wrote:

Ha. Actually I wasn't an engineer for Argon. I was the founder of their Notio subsidiary, and got to work with their engineers but I'm not smart enough to do that job. They have some really smart people and they don't discriminate based on brands :-)

When I joined I rode a TM01, then a 119, then I got the Plasma and sold the 119 just because it had the highest resale value. Both bikes were close. The TM01 a few points off.

I love my Plasma. I searched for another one and couldn't find. So I am looking for what my next purchase will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you mind posting some pics of when you drill the steer tube, or PMing them to me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigvern777 wrote:
Would you mind posting some pics of when you drill the steer tube, or PMing them to me?

Sure. Season here is maybe 2 more weeks, then I'll strip it down.

Yours isn't pre-drilled ? If not, do you have a little sticker on the back side of the steerer tube ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built mine up about 18 months ago. I think I had a small hole but when I built it up- I ran cables for the rear derailleur and the rear brake. I ran them through the front of the frame and hid them behind the aeria hydration box. I may want to change the rear derailed to an axs set up or di2 set up in the future and was thinking of different options of running the brake line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
echappist wrote:

I 3d printed a little fairing that attaches to under the stem. I need to redo one since I broke it

echappist wrote:

Ha. Actually I wasn't an engineer for Argon. I was the founder of their Notio subsidiary, and got to work with their engineers but I'm not smart enough to do that job. They have some really smart people and they don't discriminate based on brands :-)

When I joined I rode a TM01, then a 119, then I got the Plasma and sold the 119 just because it had the highest resale value. Both bikes were close. The TM01 a few points off.

I love my Plasma. I searched for another one and couldn't find. So I am looking for what my next purchase will be.

Gotcha. FWIW, you gotta be plenty smart and resourceful to have actually developed and brought to market the Notio :)

Also, is your stem the flat one? I wonder where would be a good place to "hide" the junction box on my set up. Right now, it's above the BB, but I'd think I could do better...

Last edited by: echappist: Oct 14, 20 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the Scott Plasma 3, but it's sitting in my basement as I'm using my old 2006 P3 instead. Is there any data that shows the Plasma 3 is faster (or as fast) as the old P3? If so, I may do the same project.

---Francis
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo3 wrote:
I also have the Scott Plasma 3, but it's sitting in my basement as I'm using my old 2006 P3 instead. Is there any data that shows the Plasma 3 is faster (or as fast) as the old P3?
---Francis

I've done a lot of bike only testing and have a pretty extensive bike only data library. The plasma 3, at least the way I've modified it, consistently trounces a lot of other bikes, old and new. If you read the aero shootout we did The plasma 3 would have been tied for the #3 fastest bike. It is +/- 1-2w faster than the Premier Tactical across the yaw sweep. (The Premier beats it at 0). The rest of the data points (-5, -7.5 & -10) the plasma is <2w faster or slower.

IIRC from my data the Plasma is faster at -5 & -10 while the premier is faster at 0 and -7.5, but I'm also too lazy to go look up which bike was faster at which data points. I just remember the plasma loses at 0 and each bike wins 2 data points.

The bottom line is even today, with all the "advancements" in super bikes, there are probably <10 bikes on the market that are faster than a modified plasma 3.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 TT new paint /rebuild part1 [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo3 wrote:
I also have the Scott Plasma 3, but it's sitting in my basement as I'm using my old 2006 P3 instead. Is there any data that shows the Plasma 3 is faster (or as fast) as the old P3? If so, I may do the same project.

---Francis

i guess you have to go 2 ways . look at the slowtwitch tunnel test which included p4 and plasma 3 2012 0r 2013 that was
and then find test between cervelo p4 and p3 from cervelo .
if memory serves me well plasma would be a bit faster pretty much anywhere than 0 degree .
Quote Reply

Prev Next