Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Juha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am looking at a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 DI2. I am 175cm and inseam is 81,5 cm. I did a fit for my current bike ( see the file below).

Juha, that file didn't come through. Can you email it to me directly.... ian-at-teamtts-dot-com?

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [slippy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help. I went with a Small CF with DI2. Beautiful bike. Quick shipping. I do need to change out my cranks to 155mm. Do you guys have any specific cranks you would recommend in 155 that you have experience with working with bike?

slippy01, I really love John Cobb as a person and it's easy for me to support his products, you can see them at SpeedandComfort.com Rotor has done well with short crank options too. There are so many more considerations that just 3 years ago and that's good. Be sure to call each manufacturer and have a discussion on the bottom bracket so you are ready to swap when they arrive... and, of course, as a coach and a fitter I have to say, if you're not riding with a power meter now give some thought to combining your short crank purchase with a power meter built in.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, Ian. Even before I saw it, I had put the bike up on a trainer and tried experimenting with saddle height and a few of the spacers. I was already feeling better about the size choice, and your message confirmed my good feeling.

As it happens, I had scheduled a bike fit for today, and my fitter (who loves these bikes) confirmed size choice right off the bat. When we finally dialed it in, your Pad X/Y estimates were almost spot on -- Pad Y=634; Pad X=466. Did my first shakedown on the fit, and felt pretty good for an aging age-grouper. I am planning to swap out the cranks for 165mm, so we may do a little more fine tuning. I've also got to get used to the new position.

I'm grateful for the response. Your reply was very reassuring and now, rather than wringing my hands about my impulsiveness, I've got that new-bike thrill going. Now all we need are some races!

Thanks again.

Carroll
Last edited by: cjwillsiii: Sep 30, 20 23:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email send.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan,

The short answer is no. I checked in with engineer turned product designer for the Speedmax and he confirmed it for me. He transitioned nicely to a "stay tuned for big announcement" which I'm sure relates to a new Speedmax with disc brakes that's able to accept a wider "tyre".

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Bryan,

The short answer is no. I checked in with engineer turned product designer for the Speedmax and he confirmed it for me. He transitioned nicely to a "stay tuned for big announcement" which I'm sure relates to a new Speedmax with disc brakes that's able to accept a wider "tyre".

Ian

Cheers mate.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

John,
I distinctly remember working numbers on this and posting but I don't see it so here I go again.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I ordered a Medium CF 8.0 SL which has now arrived and looks superb in Stealth spec; sadly it is yet to be ridden due to very autumnal weather (I may swap cranks out first in any case). Thanks re crank length - think I will explore 160/165mm cranks and power meter options. I am based in London, UK and previously had a bike fit at Velosport in Putney with my Orca Aero - they will be my first port of call for a fit, unless you have any specific recommendations.

Thanks again,
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm interested i this as I'm looking at getting a speedmax. I have no idea what i need to measure though. Can you advise? Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [EddieRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

Delighted to have found this thread great work πŸ‘

I'm planning on a speedmax slx in the very near future but so anxious about getting the right fit.

First triathlon bike and at the moment I have no pad x and pad y co-ordinates. However I will probably end up getting a pre purchase bike fit on dynamic bike soon, when I do I'll let you know how your estimates match up if you have the time to put together an estimate for me.

So here goes

Height : 191.5cm
Inseam : 92cm (long legs)
Arm reach from chest to palm centre: 65cm

I have a cube attain road bike set up with clip on aerobars that may help give an idea of measurements? They are as follows......

Pad x.... (BB to centre of elbow pad) ..........455mm

(this feels like I could stretch it out another small bit 25-50mm to get more comfortable.? But thinking that could be due to the high pad y I'm about to show you??

Pad y..... (bb to top of pad) ............730mm

Now judging by previous posts this sounds crazy high but remember its only my road bike with clip ons and I havent removed any spacers which can drop me another 20mm I think.

Seat height ....... (bb to top of seat)............. 850mm

Nose of saddle is currently approx 90mm behind bb so I'm thinking with a more forward position from a steeper seatpost ie saddle moved forward 90mm approx + pad x of 455 = 545mm pad x needed???? Maybe I'm way off here πŸ˜‚

Anyway I'm thinking I need a large? What do you think? And also I'm thinking I could do with the 85mm stem?

Obviously I havent a clue and I'm 100% guessing so I would love to hear your input/advice on this and maybe any options for the CF aswell as the slx!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
I bit the bullet and purchased the Speedmax CF 8.0 based on your previous recommendation. Here is my first attempt after maxing out on all the spacers provided. The aerobars have been pull inwards to the max and I also changed the crank length from the default 172.5mm to 165mm. I think the saddle is a bit too high but I just feel the this new saddle (Mistika) is a bit different from my previous ISM PN and feel very awkward.
Any thing that I can further improve on?

skyjuice,
Lots of good stuff here in the video, thank you. Great work on the crank change. I love where you're sitting on that saddle before you change it...you are right on about the seat height being too high, lower that 15mm and then 20mm and then 25mm and pick the one that feels most comfortable you. Then, put a riser (could even be a thick book) under the front wheel to get the bike level and then give the saddle a few 20-40min rides before you decide on liking it or not.

After you lower the seat height you may very well want the bars lower so you'll probalby take some of those spacers out of the bars - but keep the tilt, as that looks great.

The arm pad position might be good but it seems like the aerobars could come back just a hair, 7-12mm, to shorten the cockpit a bit. Try that and see if it feels better.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [cjwillsiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had scheduled a bike fit for today, and my fitter (who loves these bikes) confirmed size choice right off the bat. When we finally dialed it in, your Pad X/Y estimates were almost spot on..

Quote:
I had scheduled a bike fit for today, and my fitter (who loves these bikes) confirmed size choice right off the bat. When we finally dialed it in, your Pad X/Y estimates were almost spot on..

Quote:

Carroll, let's just let this quote ring out through the hills and valleys of the cycling world for all to hear!!!!! Made my day, thank you.

Quote:
I had scheduled a bike fit for today, and my fitter (who loves these bikes) confirmed size choice right off the bat. When we finally dialed it in, your Pad X/Y estimates were almost spot on

Quote:
I had scheduled a bike fit for today, and my fitter (who loves these bikes) confirmed size choice right off the bat. When we finally dialed it in, your Pad X/Y estimates were almost spot on

Quote:

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Juha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juha,

Thanks for sending the info from the fit. I suspect your Pad Y should be right around 615 and your Pad X is very near to 470. You could fit on either a Small or a Medium but I want to urge you to get a Medium and here's why... on the fit sheet the saddle is noted as "tri" but in the picture I can't see any of it and this, plus some other observations suggest to me that your hips are too far behind the bottom bracket - you're riding too shallow in seat angle.

I'd like your hips to be more forward and in doing so your front end would change in 2 beneficial ways: 1) your cockpit would be a bit farther away and 2) your arm pads would be a bit lower. In the end I suspect you'll be either just as comfortable as your current position or more comfortable, you'll be able to generate a bit more power, and you'll be out of the wind a little more.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [commandprompt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
unless you have any specific recommendations.

John,
The only fitters I know in your area are Helen and Brian Hall at Ten Point (http://www.ten-point.co.uk/). It's not just that I know them, it's that they are the best in the UK. It would like someone saying to me "I'm in New York and I want to get fit, whom should I see?" - the first and only answer is Jonathan Blyer at ACME.

I hope you can set an appointment with them to make that bike perfect.

All the best, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Carldavidmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,
Delighted to have found this thread great work πŸ‘
I'm planning on a speedmax slx in the very near future but so anxious about getting the right fit.
First triathlon bike and at the moment I have no pad x and pad y co-ordinates. However I will probably end up getting a pre purchase bike fit on dynamic bike soon, when I do I'll let you know how your estimates match up if you have the time to put together an estimate for me.

Carldavidmurphy,
Okay, I'm eager to see how my numbers match up to your pre-fit numbers (let me know where you live and give me a chance to make a recommendation of a fitter if I know of one in your area).

I think your Pad Y is right around 675 and your Pad X should be in the neighborhood of 515.

So, it has to be a large, no doubt. If your Pad Y is 675 then you'll need 45mm of arm pad pedestal. And if your Pad X is 515 then the short stem that comes stock (it's 65mm) is the right one for you and I think the pads will be a hole or two ahead of the center.

I'm going off on an important tangent here...that bike's gonna come with 175mm cranks you should probably be on 165s, maybe 167.5s and certainly no longer that 170s. So swap those out immediately and do your fit and first ride around proper cranks.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Stack - 638
Reach - 485

saddle height - 737 (best guess)

height 177.8 (5'10")
inseam 80 (31.5")

Thank you so much
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [EddieRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi I'm interested i this as I'm looking at getting a speedmax. I have no idea what i need to measure though. Can you advise? Many thanks

EddieRocket,
Great question, thanks for writing in....

The number, best way to purchase any new bike (but all the more important for a tri bike purchase) is to get a Dynamic Bike Fit FIRST. And that dynamic bike fit needs to be done by a fitter who is educated, experienced, and owns a dynamic bike fit (this is a bike that can be adjusted in the X/Y plane while you are riding it). When you're finished with that type of fit you are left with two sets of numbers: 1) your Pad Y and Pad X that are used to prescribe purchase and your Fit Coordinates - so the fit is done even though you don't yet own the bike. When the bike arrives you simple place the contact points into the position that the fitter found for (with) you.

The second best way to purchase a new tri bike is.....if you currently own a tri bike that is comfortable and has you in a position that you love, that you feel is powerful and aero. We can take the Pad Y/X numbers from that bike and prescribe the new one.

The third best way is to give me some basics upon which I can work - so, how tall are you, what is your inseam, can you tell me your saddle height on an existing bike?

So - for #1 let me know where you live and if I have a fitter whom I can recommend in your area I will. #2 if you have a current tri bike that fits well then get back to me here and I'll walk you through how to measure the Pad Y/X. #3 If the first two are not an option - gimme your height, inseam and, if you have it, saddle height on a current bike and I'll run with that.

Ian

PS. also let me know which version of the Speedmax you're after: the XLS (super bike) or the CF (mortal bike).

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am looking into the Speedmax CF SLX and would love your input.

Pad X: 450 (BB to Back of Pad)
Pad Y: 600
Saddle Height: 745

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million for the quick reply. That all sounds great πŸ‘ presumably with the stock stem (65mm) I'd have a little play back and forward still? Are the max pad x reach numbers for the slx on the canyon website based on this 65mm?

I'm based in dublin ireland so I've located a dynamic bike fitter who can match me up specifically to a canyon frame and provides full retul data , bikefitstudio in meath for any irish on here. And will definitely let you know what the numbers are I have a feeling you'll be spot onπŸ‘Œ I'm open to suggestions if you know of another?

Also on the base bar, how would I know whether a flat bar or riser is best? Could high saddle and aero bars at 45mm high mean falt bar may be too low when the hills appear?

Cheers,
Carl
Last edited by: Carldavidmurphy: Oct 9, 20 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian very much. I am booked in for a fit next friday so will let you know how I get on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mcknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Stack - 638
Reach - 485
saddle height - 737 (best guess)
height 177.8 (5'10")
inseam 80 (31.5")

Thank you so much

mcknight,
I'm a bike fit instructor, a bike fitter and bike fit snob and I am on a mission to protect the language of my art - so, I KNOW you don't mean Stack and Reach because those are terms that relate to a spot on a bike frame (top of the head tube) and you really mean Pad Stack and Pad Reach - hence my preference of Pad Y and Pad X to reduce confusion....but I get you.

I'm assuming this 485 number is to the back of the pad, if it's to the middle be sure to get back to me so I can change my prescription.

If you're gonna do the Speedmax SLX then you have two opitons:
1) the Medium with the short stem that comes stock, 45mm of arm pad pedestal, and pads ~1 hole forward from center.
2) the Large with a the short stem that comes stock, 10mm of arm pad pedestal and pads ~1 hold back from center.

If you're gonna do the Speedmax CF then you need to get the XL and pretty much slam the stem.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

yes - Pad Stack and Pad Reach - Pad Y and Pad X

485 is to the middle of the pad.

I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF.

Thank you!
Last edited by: mcknight: Oct 9, 20 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Carldavidmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Quote:
Thanks a million for the quick reply. That all sounds great πŸ‘ presumably with the stock stem (65mm) I'd have a little play back and forward still? Are the max pad x reach numbers for the slx on the canyon website based on this 65mm?

The Pad X range of the SLX Large with the short stem is.... 498-552 so my guess of 515 leaves you with room to move fore/aft. Keep this in mind too, Canyon makes an aftermarket item called a TSP (Team Switch Plate) this is a little mount that can reduce the cockpit on the Large down to 471 or extend it out to 579, but if you have to go beyond 552 (can't imagine you needing that) I'd rather you go to the longer stem (85cm).

Quote:
I'm based in dublin ireland so I've located a dynamic bike fitter who can match me up specifically to a canyon frame and provides full retul data

Go there, get the fit but know this... there's no such thing as a "Retul Fit" or a "Guru Fit"...just as there's no such thing as a Fender concert or a Gibson concert - there are Jim Corr concerts and Phil Chevron concerts. You absolutely MUST stay involved in the fit process. Give your fitter feedback during the fit so that your feeling drives the fit as much as his angles. Also, the saddle makes the fit, be ready to be a pest about the comfort of the saddle and one that you can sit on the nose of and have it be comfy. Lastly, as the fit winds down and you're near the perfect spot have the fitter crank up the resistance and ride at 40k race pace for 3-6min so that you can see where you creep and sneak and edge to for more power and then have him adjust the position to have the bike meet you there.

Quote:
Also on the base bar, how would I know whether a flat bar or riser is best? Could high saddle and aero bars at 45mm high mean falt bar may be too low when the hills appear?

The flat bar comes stock so I always spec that. Also, because the max pedestal on on SLX isn't that high (we see guys in Euro pro road races and grand tours with 80+ pedestal) I feel like the gap from aero position to hands on the brakes isn't that great - 55mm max. if you rode your bike for a while and decided that you wanted the rise bar you could get it but these after market items have to be purchased so I like to see the stock stuff work.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I'm very grateful for all that information. Its means alot to have some help in determining the right fit for what is no question, a big investment.

I'm glad to know about that team swith plate being available "just incase" however I'm with you in that I doubt I'll need to stretch past 550!

Thanks for the tips on feel and saddle with bike fit I'll defo stay tuned into how it feels.

I'll let you know how I get on with the fit. Your a gentleman πŸ‘πŸ‘
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mcknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
yes - Pad Stack and Pad Reach - Pad Y and Pad X
485 is to the middle of the pad.
I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF.

Thank you!

Mcknight, okay, forget what I posted earlier.... Pad Y of 638 and Pad X 485 to center the CF for you is a Medium and you're right in the center on the Pad Y so you'll have room to change your arm pad drop in the future up or down as you like. As for the Pad X - use the 80mm stem that comes stock and mount the pads dead center and you should have it.

Also, the medium is gonna arrive with 175mm cranks - those are simply not the choice, I'm guessing 160s would be best or 165 at the longest.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thank you so much!!!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next