Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure)
Quote | Reply
OK OK

Sunday at Liege Bastogne Liege:

Today he does this and after saying he will never do it again, and could have blown it again!!!!

At least in Phelps vs Cavic for Phelps' 7th gold medal Cavic was not celebrating he was just coasting in (its not like swimmers have the option, but still). He could have blown it today
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 7, 20 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a new one - putting spoiler in the title and the name of the winner!
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even pros want post-up photo ops (so Island Photography can send email marketing for years after the event).

But that jersey, specifically, must come with a special prismatic eyesight feature that makes the current wearer unable to judge distances.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Oct 7, 20 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cavic Vs Phelps example is not a good one. Cavic touched first but fina said not with enough force to trigger the omega timing plate, or whatever is called.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't know if he won or not and which day he got DQ'd or not and in what race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why was Van der Poel not at Worlds? Seems he would have been a favorite with Van Aert and Alaphillipe. Last year the rainbow jersey was handed to him on a silver platter with the dream breakaway composition for him and he bonked and failed. This year he did not race. Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Why was Van der Poel not at Worlds? Seems he would have been a favorite with Van Aert and Alaphillipe. Last year the rainbow jersey was handed to him on a silver platter with the dream breakaway composition for him and he bonked and failed. This year he did not race. Why?

His reasoning was too much climbing for his liking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone loves this guy because of the panache. But panache is a double edged sword.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this today, and thought "post LBL what could he possibly be thinking?" After LBL you'd think he'd keep his hands on the bars even if he was winning solo.

You can see JA's "oh crap" moment just after the line.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Saw this today, and thought "post LBL what could he possibly be thinking?" After LBL you'd think he'd keep his hands on the bars even if he was winning solo.

For me, I missed all the live coverage today and I saw an image like this before opening any articles and it was unclear where the line was (as it is in this pic). I could have sworn he did it "again" and lost "again".

At world's 10 days ago, when he started his celebrations way before the line and went nuts, I kept saying to myself, "Please don't lose control over your bike before the line....Van Aert is not that far back if you fall"
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 7, 20 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he lost, he could always lodge protest over MvdP's illegal socks. (maybe pink)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's only been a week since Worlds and we've already had the rainbow jersey front and center twice for winning finish photos, which is two times more than all year for the 2019 jersey wearer (who in fairness got screwed out of getting to wear his jersey much at all thanks Covid).

Along these lines, poor Chloe Dygart never once got to wear her 2019 rainbow jersey.

JA may be a fool for celebrating too soon, but it is still cool to see the rainbow jersey at front of races with arms upraised in victory (or not).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's disc brakes fault for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
The Cavic Vs Phelps example is not a good one. Cavic touched first but fina said not with enough force to trigger the omega timing plate, or whatever is called.

Cavic did not touch first. But it's also not a good example because given where Cavic was in his stroke, he really had no option but to "coast" as someone put it. If he tried to do another complete stroke he would have been beaten by a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
ecce-homo wrote:

Cavic did not touch first. But it's also not a good example because given where Cavic was in his stroke, he really had no option but to "coast" as someone put it. If he tried to do another complete stroke he would have been beaten by a lot more.

Well technically Cavic had the option of the quarter stroke where you do roughly quarter pull and throw your arms forward (see what Phelps did) which was effectively like a bike throw at the line of the XC skier lunge with the leading foot (each sport has its peculirity of fastest way across the line (in track we have the lunge or some extreme guys have done the superman dive). But regardless Phelps kept working, Cavic gambled that he could get to the line on a coast. As butterfly does not stipulate two kicks per pull, he also had the option of starting a third kick rather than a full coast into the wall.

In any case I was kind of joking about that given the swimmers can't start celebrations until the wall anyway...but they can start coasting rather than applying power. Regardless my heart sank seeing an image on one of the cycling websites with Alaphilippe crossing the line in rainbow stripes without Roglic beside him with his arms in the air and the other rider (MVP) looking like he may have beaten him!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

He so desperately wants that photo where one guy is celebrating when everyone else is still sprinting hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only did he celebrate stupidly again, he deviated from his line when he noticed MvdP surging. It wasn't nearly as egregious but it was enough to cause MvdP to swerve slightly.
My feelings on JA were fairly neutral up until this week, but he's roughly shown himself to be pretty boneheaded.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
Not only did he celebrate stupidly again, he deviated from his line when he noticed MvdP surging. It wasn't nearly as egregious but it was enough to cause MvdP to swerve slightly.
My feelings on JA were fairly neutral up until this week, but he's roughly shown himself to be pretty boneheaded.

Maybe there is a rainbow jersey IQ subtraction effect :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:

Agreed, he's a bonehead. Don't understand why people like him. Over under on him blowing it again?
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
tylerwal wrote:

Agreed, he's a bonehead. Don't understand why people like him. Over under on him blowing it again?

I think he is loved, because unlike the Ineos/Sky-bots he races with spontaneaty. Sometimes he nails, it and gets glory, sometimes he totally blows it....and lately he seems to be in the right place at the right time, and he's 50/50 on blowing it vs not blowing it (and the last two times its due to his own stupidity).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:

At LBL where he was relegated, he swerved wildly on a turn inside the final km almost taking out Pogacar. Nothing came of it; they were not full gas as they were playing for position at that point and Pogacar obviously didn't go down because of it, but it was a pretty egregious move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems he’s had a few similar incidents at the Giro...

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=oaccop6l92ea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, while everyone focuses on this, it is meaningless - JA received a penalty in the lead up and was dropped to 5th place in the final standings. So, this DID NOT cost him the win, and he DID NOT "blow it" (at least here).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, on paper he didn't blow it because he was going to be relegated regardless... but he still blew it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Alaphilippe Celebrations (spoilers for sure) [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see what happens at Tour of Flanders. Van Aert and Van Der Poel hopefully don't blow it out pokering each other.
Quote Reply

Prev Next