Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front derailleur wrenching question
Quote | Reply

Hi all. You know that saying "there are no dumb questions"? Well.... I'm a decades long bike tinkerer, having built and maintained them all of my life. After taking 5 years off, I just started assembling a new Shiv. The front derailleur has me scratching my head. The cable comes out of a port in the frame. Where does it tie into to apply pressure, to then run to the derailleur bolt? I was shocked how little I found when googling this. Probably because it's a dumb question! Thanks in advance. Yes, I deserve all shaming that comes my way!

Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur wrenching question [Enduro211] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that shift housing coming out or just a sheath for the cable? Hard to see in the photo. Either way, the new style Shimano FDs work with both. The new FD is quite different in setup (at least for indexed shifting - maybe not as much using a friction bar end shifter). The dealer manual is helpful:

https://si.shimano.com/...M-RAFD001-02-ENG.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur wrenching question [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
Is that shift housing coming out or just a sheath for the cable? Hard to see in the photo. Either way, the new style Shimano FDs work with both. The new FD is quite different in setup (at least for indexed shifting - maybe not as much using a friction bar end shifter). The dealer manual is helpful:

https://si.shimano.com/...M-RAFD001-02-ENG.pdf

This is perfect. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur wrenching question [Enduro211] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What model number is the front derailleur?

FD-R8000?
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 2, 20 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Front derailleur wrenching question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delayed response. I got it. Poor lighting made it difficult to see that there is a spot on the derailleur to tuck the cable into. Thanks!
Quote Reply