Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Recommendation?
Quote | Reply
As the title suggests, after a saddle recommendation. Covid has seemingly limited my buying options to online atm.

Currently I have an ISM PN 1.1 on my road bike and the material / synthetic cover has starting splitting (I'd be happy riding it but its tearing my bib shorts. 1 saddle is cheaper to replace).

I generally like the PN 1.1, especially riding aero / in the drops. My only grievance is sitting up or climbing- the back of the saddle isn't exactly made to sit on.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a saddle which allows the similar up front relief of the PN but also provides a bit more of a 'wing' to sit up on?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [Sinking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a road bike try a Specialized Power. Works for a lot of people. There's a reason it spawned a plethora of snub nose saddles from the other manufacturers. Plus plenty on the second hand market to try it out cheaper than retail.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Spec power is a nice saddle. I'd also recommend Dash saddles for something similar but more comfortable. I moved from ISN to the Dash Stage Stock and it was an improvement all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
For a road bike try a Specialized Power. ... Plus plenty on the second hand market to try it out cheaper than retail.

But buying retail means you get a 30 day money-back guarantee if it doesn't work out.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The Spec power is a nice saddle. I'd also recommend Dash saddles for something similar but more comfortable. I moved from ISN to the Dash Stage Stock and it was an improvement all around.

eh??? a dash stage for road bike riding???

i tried out the stage and the only position it was ridable was in aero. theres zero accommodations in that saddle for upright / road position. i purchased a strike custom from them and even that is questionable regarding upright seating. theres just enough there to give you a little bit of time out of aero.

as others have said the power saddle is pretty nice. its what i use for my road saddle.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are all different. My road position is aggressive, but I have no issue sitting up and climbing on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the TT bike ISM is still my go to choice, however, on my road bike I have switched to ultra light saddles with zero padding, and ridden a number of 12 hour+ Ultra events on them with zero discomfort. My favourite is Schmolke TLO saddle, however, I also have a Berke saddle and Selle Italia SLR, both have excellent comfort. I am not too heavy (70kg, 155 lbs), despite appearing to be really hard, these saddles have a massive amount of flex (Beware cheap Chinese ultra light saddles, which are far too stiff). I ride in a very aggressive position, one a small frame, with bars set low. The key aspect for comfort is that the saddle is tilted a little forward and set at the correct height. I see many riders who blame their saddle for numbness and discomfort, however, when you look at these riders, the saddle is too flat and too high, as a result there is too much pressure on private parts
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I wouldn’t remotely describe the Dash stage stock and Specialized Power saddles as similar. Dash is 115 mm wide and Power is 143 or 155, amongst other differences. The Power works perfectly for me. Dash was very bad for me.

Both are worth trying as either one may work for OP, but I doubt both will work for OP.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 5, 20 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I wouldn’t remotely describe the Dash stage stock and Specialized Power saddles as similar. Dash is 115 mm wide and Power is 143 or 155, amongst other differences. The Power works perfectly for me. Dash was very bad for me.

Both are worth trying as either one may work for OP, but I doubt both will work for OP.

True story. The best idea is just get to a fit studio and try a bunch out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail the thread completely, But is there an “easy” way to find which type of saddle suits you, wether Road or tt/tri?
Ism Adamo doesn’t work for me, neither does specialized romin (I realize both are discontinued). Contemplating wether to try a flat saddle or not. So far, the most comfortable saddle came with a 2011 trek 1.5, But I bought a more expensive saddle and tossed it. We spend a lot of money on bike stuff, But buying 20 saddles to find one that fits is just a waste
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
For a road bike try a Specialized Power. Works for a lot of people. There's a reason it spawned a plethora of snub nose saddles from the other manufacturers. Plus plenty on the second hand market to try it out cheaper than retail.

Is a 143mm narrow enough for most men's sit bones?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I used the power my go to width for road wouldve been 130, having found 140ish in traditional saddle shapes too wide (fizik antaresAlthough it's 143 because of the way you sit on it, it doesn't feel that wide. It's one of the few saddles I've used that I've instantly found comfortable and gone and put long rides on with no discomfort. I don't have a road bike anymore but have one on my xc MTB. It's one of those saddles that just works for a lot of people once you've set it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that helps :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems most have had luck with the spec power.
Any difference between the power and the power arc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a PN1.1 on my TT bike and a Spec Power on my roadie; love them both. That being said, the Power is def. designed for a road position; the nose is too narrow and hard for ISM-style nose riding.

The Cobb 55 might be an option; it has a similar nose to the PN1.1, but is a bit wider in the back. Ideally you go to a shop with a lot of demo saddles you can try. You can also buy some of the demo saddles on eBay, and if they don't work just sell them at a minor loss.

Personally, finding a good saddle is hard; if you like the PN1.1 just but another one. They are ~$100 online.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
Not to derail the thread completely, But is there an “easy” way to find which type of saddle suits you, wether Road or tt/tri?
Ism Adamo doesn’t work for me, neither does specialized romin (I realize both are discontinued). Contemplating wether to try a flat saddle or not. So far, the most comfortable saddle came with a 2011 trek 1.5, But I bought a more expensive saddle and tossed it. We spend a lot of money on bike stuff, But buying 20 saddles to find one that fits is just a waste

Personally I've never had any problem with Road saddles. Tri saddles are a completely different thing for me and it's all very princess and the pea. You can try saddles that have trial programmes, maybe have a chat with your lbs to see if they take part in any or do some googling. Which manufacturers have a program where you are depends on your country.

I've always thought I should take advantage of local groups and social media more. If you have a few saddles that definitely don't work for you then that's some currency. There should be people close who can do a trial swap. Or try and organise a small group of people in a similar situation. It's just a question of finding them which is where social media comes in.

If you haven't had a bike fit you can arrange one with someone who has a few interesting saddles and then the fit pays for itself even more if it saves you trying a bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selle SMP.

Get the right width and level of padding (there's a handy chart to help you decide) and it's the last saddle you'll ever need
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Recommendation? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMPs can be good if you find the right one, which is difficult because their naming structure has no obvious pattern. And the price...

I recently got a Specialized Power and am pretty happy with it, I could immediately take a spacer out of my stem and drop the front with no discomfoirt.
The Bontrager Aeolus and Pro Stealth were also very tempting, I suspect I might like them even more because the nose is slightly wider than the Power.
Quote Reply