Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Repair Stand - What Kind?
Quote | Reply
I am looking to finally purchase a repair stand and start doing some of the bike work on my own. Any recommendations on one stand to use for all of my bikes (Tri, road, mountain)?

Is there a stand that works equally well for all of these? Is a wheel off stand better than a clamp style or vice versa? I've never used either so just looking for a little guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Repair Stand - What Kind? [dave_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, I'm going to follow this topic.

I have had experience with Tacx Spider Team T3350 stand. One where you need to detach a wheel but I didn't liked that very much. I'm more inclined to buy one with a clamp. But I'm in doubt.
To clean your bike very well u need to detach the wheels anyways but sometimes when u just need to work on your bike u don't want to detach the wheel and just quickly hook it up one a clamp I think...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both a Park prs-20 and a feedback ultimate something or other (clamp style). I "feel" like the park is more stable but it is a small inconvenience to remove the front wheel hence I use both quite often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I much prefer the clamp type, because you can work with both wheels off and access anything. But, they do not work well with some mountain bikes and tri bikes. So, for the all-purpose, I recommend this style:

https://www.parktool.com/...-2?category=Portable
https://www.feedbacksports.com/...t-bike-repair-stand/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For quick work, I use a Feedback Rakk or a Feedback Scorpion. For serious work, I use a Feedback Pro Ultralight.

I haven't found any 1 bike stand that I'd use for everything. The Rakk and Scorpion are handy for storage too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of the Park Tool home mechanic stands and it's fine. Pros are it's relatively inexpensive, pretty easy to get your bike on and off, and it can fold up and go sit in the corner until you need it again. I'd say the only real con would be that sometimes you can get it off balance if you are doing something at an odd angle. Mine is probably 10+ years old so the design may have changed to remedy the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a “Bikehand” stand from Amazon that is 5 star rated. Having used it now for 2 years, including to build a bike from a frameset, I wouldn’t recommend it. It isn’t as stable as I would like, but the real issue is it’s awkward to clamp and adjust a bike into the stand.

I’m about to order a Parktool 10.2 stand. I used one at a friend’s house and it’s so much easier to adjust and mount a bike.

As for a wheel off stand, those are great for building a bike, but the clamp style is more versatile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Park Tools PCS-10.

For the price, I'm not blown away by it.

I've found it quite unstable and it has rusty streaks all over the tubes.

The PCS-10.2 now replaces the PCS-10 and looks a bit more stable.
Quote Reply
Re: Repair Stand - What Kind? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
For quick work, I use a Feedback Rakk or a Feedback Scorpion. For serious work, I use a Feedback Pro Ultralight.

I haven't found any 1 bike stand that I'd use for everything. The Rakk and Scorpion are handy for storage too.

+ 1 on this. (Rakk and Feedback Pro-Elite)
Quote Reply
Re: Repair Stand - What Kind? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I have a “Bikehand” stand from Amazon that is 5 star rated. Having used it now for 2 years, including to build a bike from a frameset, I wouldn’t recommend it. It isn’t as stable as I would like, but the real issue is it’s awkward to clamp and adjust a bike into the stand.

I’m about to order a Parktool 10.2 stand. I used one at a friend’s house and it’s so much easier to adjust and mount a bike.

As for a wheel off stand, those are great for building a bike, but the clamp style is more versatile.

This aligns with my logic as well, seems that the clamp style may be more versatile. Cheaper too so may be a good place to start rather than buying a more expensive dropout style stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the specific bikes you have you might want to consider a hirobel frame clamp to use with a clamp style stand. Silca sells them.

I know some of my bikes are a pain to mount in some clamp style stands the hirobel solves that problem. My MTB has large diameter non round tubes so some clamps dont seem to work so well. I would clamp the seatpost but its a dropper post and I don't think thats the best idea. On my Felt IA the seat tube is too wide to clamp and I am hesitant to clamp the top tube because the toptube may be thin and not designed to withstand clamping forces from the stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
I am looking to finally purchase a repair stand and start doing some of the bike work on my own. Any recommendations on one stand to use for all of my bikes (Tri, road, mountain)?

Is there a stand that works equally well for all of these? Is a wheel off stand better than a clamp style or vice versa? I've never used either so just looking for a little guidance.

I have 2.

For big jobs, I have my floor stand with a tool clamp the seat post and I can work on any of my bikes. The only ont I have with an aero post is my cervelo, so for that one I’ll “lightly” clamp the top tube with lots of rags to prevent scratching.

I also have a small stand that’s made to just keep the bike upright and the rear wheel off the ground. Perfect for quick gear or brake adjustments, cleaning, and storage in the garage if I don’t want to hang it up

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Repair Stand - What Kind? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this. I was actually scrolling thru about to state the same thing. I have a feedback clamp stand and this clamped in it. Had it set up that way for several years and really like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feedback Sports Sprint foldable stand is all I need. Bike sits on the BB and fork clamp is adjustable, so it doesn't matter the diameter of the tubes or shape of seat post. Sure you need to pop the wheels off but it is solid & infinitely adjustable & portable. I do quite a bit of stuff on my bike myself and never had a need for anything else. I had a Park Shop floor stand before & it was nowhere as user friendly with bikes as the Feedback Sports stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a folding Park clamp style, the "Pro Race" model which was high end in its day (came w/ a carrying duffel so you could tote it along to races, etc). I have actually traveled w/ it a few times, but it's spent probably the last 10+ years rooted to its spot in the garage; the trade-off being that the pivot points in the legs allow it to flex a little more than I'd like compared to the non-folding model (but it's still plenty stable enough). The clamp is pretty adjustable (both in the tube aperture and rotation) which can be nice depending on the particular frame (i.e., whether you're grabbing it by the top tube, seat tube, or seatpost).

No idea what the current version is like or how much it cost, but I'd say it was a worthy investment considering it should last nearly forever. For all the changes in bike design over the decades, grabbing a tube and holding it up off the ground is pretty low/mature tech. I've seen the BB & fork style and having to remove the wheel every time seems like a nuisance; would never get one for that reason alone no matter how well it did everything else, since you'd still need some other solution for doing shit like adjusting the front brake, etc.

I've heard people bag on the clamp style because the clamping force can damage a carbon fiber tube. Well duh, you can also damage the frame carrying your bike in & out of the house by letting the door swing shut on the frame if you're not careful, or slamming your vehicle tailgate on it, etc. So don't do that. It's not fucking brain surgery, just exercise a little care and don't crank it down w/o checking first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:

I have an old Spindoctor stand I bought from Performance Bike. Who would have thought I would have had it for over 20 years already. With that said, get a nice stand as it will be around a long time.
Quote Reply