Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down
Quote | Reply
https://www.adventure-journal.com/...magazines-shut-down/

Sad day. I love Bike Mag, their reviews, their short videos. It was one of the few magazines I still got in print form simply because their photography was so beautiful.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surfer Magazine has always been "the bible of the sport". I can remember sitting in my room as a 12 year old Siesta Key beach rat and lusting after the real waves on the centerfolds. All my old mags ironically disappeared in a hurricane flood in 1983. I checked into the Surfer Mag Bulletin Board yesterday, I've had the same handle (Fuller) since 1999. The board is still up but for how long?

It's nothing less than cultural annihilation.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad indeed. My favourite titles that I’d read since middle school.

I get the current media climate but never understood why banners like this with serious editorial and photographic chops didn’t lean in on that and reduce the editorial calendar and invest in making a premium, higher priced print publication that people want to buy and save.

It’s working for other categories. Surfers Journal is $15 here. Boats International regularly does a 400+ page magazine for around $18. I think there may also still be examples in the moto/auto space.

Instead, so many publishers just kept cutting back on pages, production quality, etc while jacking up the price. Slow spiral dive of death, that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpower wrote:
I get the current media climate but never understood why banners like this with serious editorial and photographic chops didn’t lean in on that and reduce the editorial calendar and invest in making a premium, higher priced print publication that people want to buy and save.

Totally agree with you. TBH I would have paid that much for a quarterly Bike Mag for the photography alone and put it on my coffee table.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
I checked into the Surfer Mag Bulletin Board yesterday, I've had the same handle (Fuller) since 1999.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpower wrote:
Sad indeed. My favourite titles that I’d read since middle school.

It’s working for other categories. Surfers Journal is $15 here. Boats International regularly does a 400+ page magazine for around $18. I think there may also still be examples in the moto/auto space.

Instead, so many publishers just kept cutting back on pages, production quality, etc while jacking up the price. Slow spiral dive of death, that.

Powder Magazine did this, worked for a while, but now also closing after 48 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Sad day. I love Bike Mag, their reviews, their short videos. It was one of the few magazines I still got in print form simply because their photography was so beautiful.

That sucks. Bike Mag's Bible of Bike Test videos have been a highlight for me, both for the technical content and production value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that sucks. I used to love Snowboarder back when I was a kid. I like the author's take on Men's Journal and the crap they pass off as a magazine.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fuller wrote:
I checked into the Surfer Mag Bulletin Board yesterday, I've had the same handle (Fuller) since 1999.

I know funny isn't it? I learned all my trolling skills there. It sounds like you may have a passing familiarity with the 'erbb...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
I like the author's take on Men's Journal and the crap they pass off as a magazine.

Well, he's not wrong

Runner's World is the worst, though

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like most of the Bike Mag crew has resurfaced as Beta MTB. Already a bunch of bike reviews up on their YouTube channel, in pretty much the same format as Bike Mag. Decent website as well: www.betamtb.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beta was relaunched by Pocket Outdoor Media, which also publishes VeloNews and Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
It looks like most of the Bike Mag crew has resurfaced as Beta MTB. Already a bunch of bike reviews up on their YouTube channel, in pretty much the same format as Bike Mag. Decent website as well: www.betamtb.com

Does that mean the old one would've been Alpha MTB, we just never knew it?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Magazine, Other American Media Staples Shutting Down [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

Does that mean the old one would've been Alpha MTB, we just never knew it?

Well for me they were definitely the alpha source of info for bike reviews, so there's that...
Quote Reply