Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His bars he made and position from Florida is a start.

https://www.triathlete.com/culture/people/pro-cyclist-adam-hansen-on-his-ironman-debut/
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
So, apart from shoes, what other make-your-own gear do we think Adam Hansen will bring to tri?

Here you go a good interview in Cycling Tips today. Seems we could see some interesting stuff on the bike?
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/adam-hansen-on-his-move-to-ironman-i-just-cant-wait-for-this-new-chapter/
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Hadn't got round to reading CT today. I'll look for that article.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
fulla wrote:
I wonder when Richie Porte will make the switch? He was a triathlete, can swim, is small, and can be a world class TTer.

Not only can he swim, he can swim well.

I'd go so far as to say that if Kona was in a month, and it was his sole focus, he'd lead off the bike.

How well is well? Lionel's not exactly a slouch in the swim, from memory I think he was doing his 100m sets on a 1.20 cycle, coming in on 1.10, which is pretty handy. And he's way off the lead pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good time for us mortals but at the pointy end of the spear that's slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Here you go a good interview in Cycling Tips today. Seems we could see some interesting stuff on the bike?
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/adam-hansen-on-his-move-to-ironman-i-just-cant-wait-for-this-new-chapter/

While it sounds that he's got a decent shot than most making the crossover, there's still obviously a bit to learn. He says that he's planning on doing 9 (!) Ironmans a year, plus some 70.3s. Obviously he knows his body the best, and his GT streak shows that he can recover well, but I'd think that just about anyone would say that 9 is a tad much if he wants to compete at the highest levels of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

While it sounds that he's got a decent shot than most making the crossover, there's still obviously a bit to learn. He says that he's planning on doing 9 (!) Ironmans a year, plus some 70.3s. Obviously he knows his body the best, and his GT streak shows that he can recover well, but I'd think that just about anyone would say that 9 is a tad much if he wants to compete at the highest levels of the sport.

I'm not sure what the record of 140.6s is for a Pro in a year. But Cam Wurf raced 6 Ironmans in 2017 and a 70.3.

Sometimes when you're so far behind, you have to race to learn which is what he's said in various podcasts.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

He completed 20 grand tours in a row.

I'm sure a few IM races isn't going to cause him to pause for though!
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I'm not sure what the record of 140.6s is for a Pro in a year. But Cam Wurf raced 6 Ironmans in 2017 and a 70.3.

I seem to remember Mike Schifferle wanted to reach 100 Ironman by doing 10 a year or something like that (maybe not at the very top but still as a Pro. He went back to AG last year I think).
Whether it makes sense is another question...

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Cam Wurf says he has done so many more IM equivalents in training days as well. I don't know what is achievable or practicable but let's see. After so many tours in a row he can obviously carry fatigue and recover well. Wurf only did a handful of tours and a far shorter career. I just found Wurf did 8 in 2018 and 15 or 16 in two years. Maybe Hansen is going for the record???

https://www.ridemedia.com.au/...h-cycling-champions/
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always fun to get these uber cyclists come over to ironman, but the bar is quite high for them. Higher than they think too. Up until now, Wurf has been the only serious threat, and not to the podium folks as of yet. He certainly changes the way the guys race, but as we have seen over and over, once a top pro cyclist swims and runs, they often only ride with the best triathletes, not demolish them.

He is going to have a very rough time with an 11 minute+ deficit in the swim though. Even if he cracks the swim open and is just 7 or 8 minutes down, there is just no way he ever sniffs the front of Kona, probably never catches the 2nd group either. Never mind his run will be toast, whatever it was going to be in the first place. IT will just take too much to get into the actual pro race, and. unless he has a 2;20 marathon to his resume, forget about it..

Richie Port will be a much better case study, think he can swim within 5 minutes of the leaders with a year of hard swim training, and as I recall, he could run too. But I wouldn't expect either of these guys to better than Cam did, that guy was a real outlier and took to our sport like no other top cyclist ever has. And don't really count Lance in that category, he was at the top of our sport before he left, nothing like all these "did" a triathlon before cycling folks coming over.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
fulla wrote:
I wonder when Richie Porte will make the switch? He was a triathlete, can swim, is small, and can be a world class TTer.

Not only can he swim, he can swim well.

I'd go so far as to say that if Kona was in a month, and it was his sole focus, he'd lead off the bike.

How well is well? Lionel's not exactly a slouch in the swim, from memory I think he was doing his 100m sets on a 1.20 cycle, coming in on 1.10, which is pretty handy. And he's way off the lead pack.

It was his first sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Always fun to get these uber cyclists come over to ironman, but the bar is quite high for them. Higher than they think too. Up until now, Wurf has been the only serious threat, and not to the podium folks as of yet. He certainly changes the way the guys race, but as we have seen over and over, once a top pro cyclist swims and runs, they often only ride with the best triathletes, not demolish them.

He is going to have a very rough time with an 11 minute+ deficit in the swim though. Even if he cracks the swim open and is just 7 or 8 minutes down, there is just no way he ever sniffs the front of Kona, probably never catches the 2nd group either. Never mind his run will be toast, whatever it was going to be in the first place. IT will just take too much to get into the actual pro race, and. unless he has a 2;20 marathon to his resume, forget about it..

Richie Port will be a much better case study, think he can swim within 5 minutes of the leaders with a year of hard swim training, and as I recall, he could run too. But I wouldn't expect either of these guys to better than Cam did, that guy was a real outlier and took to our sport like no other top cyclist ever has. And don't really count Lance in that category, he was at the top of our sport before he left, nothing like all these "did" a triathlon before cycling folks coming over.

I would not call Hansen or Wurf uber cyclists in the peloton at all. Good cyclists no doubt. Porte absolutely is though; has a great TT, was running 30:30 10k whilst doing triathlon as a teen. He is a quick swimmer and so I agree he would be a great case study. Campanaerts has a strong background in triathlon and would be very interesting as well. His TT skills as well as his swim speed are known. I'm not sure about his running capabilities.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Oct 6, 20 4:55
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Herdwickmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herdwickmatt wrote:
Do you think he was clean when he came back in to sport?

Considering that Lance was "consulting" with Michele Ferrari during his triathlon comeback, I think the logical conclusion is no.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
monty wrote:

I would not call Hansen or Wurf uber cyclists in the peloton at all. Good cyclists no doubt. Porte absolutely is though; has a great TT, was running 30:30 10k whilst doing triathlon as a teen. He is a quick swimmer and so I agree he would be a great case study. Campanaerts has a strong background in triathlon and would be very interesting as well. His TT skills as well as his swim speed are known. I'm not sure about his running capabilities.

I would wager that Cam and Adam would out bike Richie Porte in Kona. Cam and Adam are diesel all day guys. Richie is the 20 min down 1 min power to weight guy and my feeling is he is too small an athlete to diesel his way to a top bike split in Kona. There is a reason why the top long course athletes have almost never been built like Richie (the main outliers from back in the day are Welch and Bustos. Patrick Lange is close but he was somewhat taller, but Patrick was not trying to kill the bike, he was riding using as little energy as possible to win on the run. Richie would need to ride fast to be well positioned on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

30:30 10K as a teen? That's NCAA Div 1 finals caliber time. Color me skeptical.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Porte and Wurf are best friends and training partners to boot.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Based on his watts per kilo and body composition at age 35 sub 31 does not sound impossible as a 19 year old, but 30:30 is a different world for 30:59 or 31:30 and courses can often be quite short, so who knows but regardless, I think he would be fantastic at half IM. Full IM, not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Thats what was reported. I think Wurf talked about him doing it in a Triathlete interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
monty wrote:

Richie Porte will be a much better case study, think he can swim within 5 minutes of the leaders with a year of hard swim training, and as I recall, he could run too. But I wouldn't expect either of these guys to better than Cam did, that guy was a real outlier and took to our sport like no other top cyclist ever has. And don't really count Lance in that category, he was at the top of our sport before he left, nothing like all these "did" a triathlon before cycling folks coming over.

I would wager that Cam and Adam would out bike Richie Porte in Kona. Cam and Adam are diesel all day guys. Richie is the 20 min down 1 min power to weight guy and my feeling is he is too small an athlete to diesel his way to a top bike split in Kona. There is a reason why the top long course athletes have almost never been built like Richie (the main outliers from back in the day are Welch and Bustos. Patrick Lange is close but he was somewhat taller, but Patrick was not trying to kill the bike, he was riding using as little energy as possible to win on the run. Richie would need to ride fast to be well positioned on the run.

I certainly understand in agree with you the strongest bikers are bigger and diesel engines. That said port has done some crazy training rides of around 8 hours where he is pushing 260 W. I'm pretty sure he has the engine and good w/CdA to motor. Pretty sure he could easily ride low 4w/kg and swim run. All of that said he certainly won't be benefiting from the high in power of some other guys on the flats.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Oct 6, 20 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small athlete with great watts per kilo still bleeds off the exact same fixed power amount moving his 700 wheels and high end tires at 35-60 kph as a big guy. The big guy has more top line watts left over to move through the wind after we subtract the fixed cost of the wheels. So to your point, the small guy who had good CdA still needs much higher watts per kilo headroom to "pay" for the large fixed cost of the wheels. Smaller bike frame and smaller body almost never overcomes the tax of the wheels.

The only time that small guys become great TTers is when they are juicing up their top line (Contador) or big guys become great climbers (and even better TTers) when juiced (ex Bjarne Riis the climber LOL). My 2 cents is that Cam outbikes Richie in Kona just because of the physics in Cam's favour. Same reason Ryf always outrides Carfrae.

Roughly speaking there is an optimal body size to win in Kona and historically in the men's field guys like Richie are not on the correct side of this. In the women's field there is more wiggle room, probably because of variance in depth of field (the ultimate example of depth of field, is the men's race is Kona pack riding, women's field is solo line up in general).

An analogy would be big runner and small runner neutralization. Imagine if we gave a 15 kilo backpack for kipchoge and Frodo to wear for a marathon. My gut feel is we get both these guys close to each other and mabye Frodo wins. The fixed costs of wheels are like death for the small athlete relative to the big one. Its why Patrick Lange needs to get to T2 to dump the baggage and fixed cost of the bike so that his engine has no excess wheel baggage equivalent...but if Patrick had to carry a 15 kilo backpack he would have no chance on the Kona run compared to bigger runners.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 6, 20 8:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next