Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts
Quote | Reply
After my summer Iron Man races were cancelled, considering December Half in Florida to get in a 2020 race . My view-it seems like Florida is approving races ( at least local Tri's I look up are happening ), has taken off restrictions ( restaurants ) so looks like it should happen - before I sign up ( and worry about getting burned again on another cancellation-live in Ohio so making travel plans )

Wanted input on people who have done race in the past, and thoughts on will it happen
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts [Toadking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim course is the worst possible. You have to swim in a M dot shape meaning 6 turns! The rest is all pancake flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race usually in April but who knows....other comment is right swim sucks can be very rough because so many people going in different ways small lake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few local races have gone forward with social distancing in place, so I see no reason why this 70.3 would be canceled, except: a surge in cases or an outbreak tied to a local race. Our governor is very bullish on opening things, but it seems to me that the obstacle in the past has been getting the counties to approve the park permits. Here again, my guess is that Polk County would be fairly permissive in this regard. My bet is this race goes forward (I signed up last month). However, if you’re a fast 50-54 year old male, the race will certainly be canceled and you shouldn’t wast your money.
Quote Reply
Re: Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
A few local races have gone forward with social distancing in place, so I see no reason why this 70.3 would be canceled, except: a surge in cases or an outbreak tied to a local race. Our governor is very bullish on opening things, but it seems to me that the obstacle in the past has been getting the counties to approve the park permits. Here again, my guess is that Polk County would be fairly permissive in this regard. My bet is this race goes forward (I signed up last month). However, if you’re a fast 50-54 year old male, the race will certainly be canceled and you shouldn’t wast your money.

^This! Totally depends on the city/county. I rode the Tour de Clermont this weekend. It was postponed from 8 Aug to 3 Oct due to a permit issue and was originally supposed to start in Clermont (Lake County). The start/finish location was moved to a park in nearby Winter Garden (Orange County) which provided the permit. The funny part was we just biked right back over to Lake County and did most of the original route. Unless there is a huge surge in cases between now and then, I agree that Haines City/Polk County will grant the permit.
Quote Reply
Re: Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilalm wrote:
The swim course is the worst possible. You have to swim in a M dot shape meaning 6 turns! The rest is all pancake flat.

No, the FL70.3 swim is only a single M dot loop and therefore, a relative piece of cake. The worst possible was Ironman Florida 2018 - the infamous HAINES CITY version where we swam the course TWICE (in reverse from the 70.3) and they had us go through a timing 'tunnel' in the center of the M - aka, the MMA Crotch of Death!! Good times, good times!!

Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 5, 20 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for feedback ( and no-I am way past 50 years old) swim is a concern, but assuming wave start per COVID ( VS mass start) will spread people out more ( hopefully!)
Quote Reply
Re: Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
bilalm wrote:

No, the FL70.3 swim is only a single M dot loop and therefore, a relative piece of cake. The worst possible was Ironman Florida 2018 - the infamous HAINES CITY version where we swam the course TWICE (in reverse from the 70.3) and they had us go through a timing 'tunnel' in the center of the M - aka, the MMA Crotch of Death!! Good times, good times!!

Don't forget the run course. To fit a full marathon the course was zig zagging back and forth on each block. I have never taken so many turns in a marathon ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Haines City 70.3-info & thoughts [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG, yes, it was the worst and yet I tip my hat to Ironman for pulling off that race. For those doing IM70.3 Florida, the half-marathon course is a very different animal from the torture maze that WTC invented to make sure we did every last yard in the heat, and for some, the torrential rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced 2019 Haines City 70.3 and there were a few things I didn’t like. The first is the W swim - they seeded the start by AG and my AG (M35-39) was put after some slower groups and I was swimming over people the whole time on this wack course and just didn’t hit the split I wanted to that day for the swim.

The bike was good - run was very hot. Slowed me down significantly.

I think this year it is a self seeded start and also cooler temps so run won’t be hot, so those were my two main complaints about 2019, so if they have it, it should be a good race. Have fun.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it 3 times. I love the course. The swim, the bike and the run. People let the swim and the run get into their heads. I'd do it in December but I'm already doing Daytona. I'm looking to do it in April, 2021 to qualify for World's 70.3. I think you'll love it. The course doesn't run through major cities and nothing is shut down. It has never drawn very large crowds so it should be a go.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up. On 10/2, a race official wrote me:

"Currently, the event is still scheduled as planned. We are working with local city and health officials, as well as following guidance from the CDC to ensure a safe event experience for everyone in attendance. Should the event be canceled/postponed after the withdrawal deadline, we will send an email to all registered athletes.

Unfortunately, there is no deadline to make this decision. As long as we are given the green light, we are putting 100% efforts into providing a safe event for everyone in attendance. Should we receive information that we can no longer execute this event, we will notify athletes directly via email. I apologize that we are unable to provide a firm deadline for this."

will wear an N95 mask for the flight and stay isolated; have been isolated and quarantined with only seeing a couple of people consistently for bike rides and at the outdoor pool since February, and will continue to play it super safe. I support races that make a go of it, safely.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply