Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Competitive long-distance duathlons ???
Quote | Reply
... does that even exist?
I have 0 interest in swimming, I truly do not enjoy it but I would love to train for duathlons, especially long-distance. It just seems that in the US there are only very few of them and that they are usually offered on the side of triathlons and only attract beginners i.e. not very competitive.
Assuming races return one day, any recommendations for good long distance duathlons with a strong field in the US or Europe?
Last edited by: CaliB: Sep 5, 20 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.americanzofingenduathlon.com/ as with everything didn't happen this year but this should fit the bill!
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree! That what I was going to post also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere around 2010 duathlons died, probably for a number of side reasons but mostly because they did not make race promoters any money. A good duathlon field was 300-400 people and a triathlon would draw 1,000, even if 900 of those people did not really like swimming. Duathlon nationals would usually draw a decent field, but again it would depend on location. I did three east coast (Ohio) du nats and they were head and shoulders above the competitiveness of the two I did in Tucson, Arizona. If it goes, I am going to attend the rescheduled race this year at Lake Havasu, but I don't expect a very deep field.

The above-mentioned American Zofingen is a niche race that is really, really hard (I have two dnf's out of two attempts) and started by a duathlete who wanted to create a long, hard race that used to exist more frequently but pretty much does/did not exist in America. It is more a work of love than an attempt to make any money and as such, has continued-- with a few hiccups.

Post like yours make me ponder starting my own similar race here in SoCal, even if only 50 people show up. Well, not quite like AmZof. I want to finish and I don't digest calories while racing so it would be considerably shorter. :) I used to live in 29 Palms (Marine Corps) and I would love to have a race that went up into Joshua Tree National Park. Anything I did start would probably be a little bike heavy; I want to encourage a little participation and the second run of duathlon sort of does the opposite. Something like 8K/50K/4K. Maybe even 4K/50K/4K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please look at Powerman Zofingen and it's incredible history. If nobodies like Scott Molina, Mark Allen, Paula Newby Fraser and Natasha Badmann could race - and win it, you should have it on your bucket list. It was easily the greatest race I've ever done (and I've done Kona).
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do start that race, my wife will sign up for it. She is a long distance kind of person, hates swimming (doesn't particularly love cycling but she's good at it so she does it) so the AmZof is on our list but she doesn't feel like going across country for it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!!! Please someone do start organizing competitive DUs again!!! I think it's great to have it as a side option for tris (better than nothing) but I feel that it implicitely diminishes its status when it should be considered as an equally challenging event on a standalone basis (not as an "easier" version of the tri).
A big chunk of the triathletes I know hate swimming. If there was a way to somehow restore the prestige of the event I'm sure it would be appealing... not to mention that DUs are much easier to organize anywhere and would cost less.
Definitely putting that race on my bucket list. Thanks for the rec. I'd love to target nats but I'm not a citizen; pretty sure I'm not eligible as a green card holder and navigating the process in my country is... confusing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to do a competitive ultra duathlon. Something like a marathon/112 mile bike/half marathon and call the Iron DUal. It may have to just a self supported venture though.

That aside, I’d still love to do a series of competitive duathlons
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was powerman partially off road?

I think a trail run x mtb/gravel x trail run then bbq and roast raffle could be heaps of fun

I always liked the 10 40 5 or 6 20 3 Du's but would like a longer endurance format as well
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powerman still IS on. I know it's a US based forum, but there are still several European events.
There is one in Embrun that promises to be a b..ch. Denmark has one and a few others besides Zofingen.
This year's events were canceled because of COVID but they're scheduled to go for 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Was powerman partially off road?

The bike portion was all road. The 10K and 30K runs were a combination of road, bike trail, gravel track and grass.
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have fond memories of Powerman Zofingen and American Zofingen. There truly isn't anything like them. Switzerland is amazing and the course there is just plain amazing. I suffered through the swims of Ironman many times just to get to the bike and run...sounds like you are on the right track skipping that part!
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [joshjan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Precisely the opposite. At 63, my running days are behind me and now I'm swimming more than ever before (17,500 yards this week), and am looking at 5K to 5 mile OWS events. But Powerman Zofingen holds its own as one of the greatest races I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaliB wrote:
... does that even exist?
I have 0 interest in swimming, I truly do not enjoy it but I would love to train for duathlons, especially long-distance. It just seems that in the US there are only very few of them and that they are usually offered on the side of triathlons and only attract beginners i.e. not very competitive.
Assuming races return one day, any recommendations for good long distance duathlons with a strong field in the US or Europe?

Why do you hate swimming so much? What did it ever do to you?!
Quote Reply
Re: Competitive long-distance duathlons ??? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cab Dr. wrote, "Why do you hate swimming so much? What did it ever do to you?"

I think I can speak collectively (maybe not) when I say, "swimming has turned me into a participant, not a competitor."

Regardless of the masters classes, You Tube videos, or $$ wetsuits, I'm always spotting the field anywhere between 5 - 15 minutes in the water.

Factor out the swim and it is a different story, no excuses, no BS.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply