Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide?
Quote | Reply
Yes, I understand he's 6' 5", but in looking at side-on pics from the Giro TT, I gotta go with the classic "Too much dude...not enough bike" opinion.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Too much dude...not enough bike"

Except normally that's used on a guy in a horrendously cramped position. Ganna looks good, here. It's a good setup. Why *not* use a lot of seat mast and custom extensions?
Last edited by: trail: Oct 4, 20 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think the same a lot of the time, but so long as those extensions give him the reach, it works. I've got a friend that is similarly sized/proportioned (and has to ride sponsor bike) and he looks pretty similar on the largest tt bike available, albeit worse because he doesn't have those fancy extensions :D

It looked a bit "more normal" (although the seatpost gives it away) before the 3d printed extensions. His old Colnago bike also looked similar

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Oct 4, 20 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I presumed the front end was to game the UCI’s 10cm rule on extension height from the pad. If so I strongly approve, the commissaires however must be pretty annoyed.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I do think the same a lot of the time, but so long as those extensions give him the reach, it works. I've got a friend that is similarly sized/proportioned (and has to ride sponsor bike) and he looks pretty similar on the largest tt bike available, albeit worse because he doesn't have those fancy extensions :D

It looked a bit "more normal" (although the seatpost gives it away) before the 3d printed extensions. His old Colnago bike also looked similar

I’m not an educated fitter and the angle of the views is slightly different, but the second pic looks to have substantially more reach on that set up to my uneducated eye.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 4, 20 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
I presumed the front end was to game the UCI’s 10cm rule on extension height from the pad. If so I strongly approve, the commissaires however must be pretty annoyed.

Exactly. Brilliant putting the pads halfway up the extensions. There are now teams of white-coated officials toiling over whiteboards to define a new rule on what a pad is.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 4, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is correct. The bar is set up to meet the UCI limits for three rules. His pads are set at exactly a 15 degree angle, and the extensions are then made so they're 10cm above the center of the pads. He also get the extra 5cm of reach (85cm) because of his height.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Morelock wrote:

I’m not an educated fitter and the angle of the views is slightly different, but your friend looks to have substantially more reach on that set up than Ganna to my uneducated eye.

fwiw I wasn't saying it was the same position. Just that his position "looks" weirder in part because of how funky the extensions themselves are.

Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The_Exile wrote:

Exactly. Brilliant putting the pads halfway up the extensions. There are now teams of white-coated officials toiling over whiteboards to define a new rule on what a pad is.

I think the first time I saw the pad half-way up the extension was when Tony Martin was riding a Shiv. That was the position they tried after his low hands/flat extentions setup, that he won multiple world titles with. I seem to remember that he used that at the start of the season and then switched back just before he won his last title, but I could just be hallucinating.

Edit: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...-world-champs-288833
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Oct 4, 20 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The_Exile wrote:

At what point do the UCI look at things sensibly and realise that no matter what rule they publish an engineer somewhere will have worked around it by the following evening? Ridiculously, if Ganna had high sided arm rests with his elbows in them that position would be against the rules despite probably being more stable. The UCI have created a monster with this obsession of controlling everything, in reality all they have really achieved is create huge barriers to entry for individuals/teams without the budget to get get custom made parts for bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
trail wrote:
The_Exile wrote:

At what point do the UCI look at things sensibly and realise that no matter what rule they publish an engineer somewhere will have worked around it by the following evening? Ridiculously, if Ganna had high sided arm rests with his elbows in them that position would be against the rules despite probably being more stable. The UCI have created a monster with this obsession of controlling everything, in reality all they have really achieved is create huge barriers to entry for individuals/teams without the budget to get get custom made parts for bikes.

Deep down they just want to be F1 with pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, IMO the frame is too small. He is able to use custom bars to create substantially more stack AND reach (and drop to the basebar) which tells me the frame is too small and the result is a bike that "fits" but probably has more weight on the front wheel than is ideal. At his height, it was probably the only option given the frame is only offered in a 55cm top size.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
trail wrote:
The_Exile wrote:

If the UCI wanted to keep a lid on costs they could institute a "claimer" rule. They use in in some forms of auto and motorcycle racing where a competitor can "claim" an opponents engine for a small amount of money. So maybe it is $2500 these days. That keeps the people from spending a ton of money on a super high-end motor. You are still free to build as many as you like, but just realize that you will be building high-end motors for 20 teams.

The UCI could have a claimer rule where maybe $500 gets an opponent's cockpit. Even Ineos will get tired of making $11,000 custom bars for every schmoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yeah, IMO the frame is too small. He is able to use custom bars to create substantially more stack AND reach (and drop to the basebar) which tells me the frame is too small and the result is a bike that "fits" but probably has more weight on the front wheel than is ideal. At his height, it was probably the only option given the frame is only offered in a 55cm top size.

Aaah...I didn't take the time to look up the sizes of the frames offered. Making do with the options at hand, I guess. I can imagine how "squirrely" that thing must be with that little front center for his height.

So much for pro athletes getting custom geometry any more, huh?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
trail wrote:
The_Exile wrote:

Deep down they just want to be F1 with pedals.

The comparison with F1 is precisely what came to my mind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Aaah...I didn't take the time to look up the sizes of the frames offered. Making do with the options at hand, I guess. I can imagine how "squirrely" that thing must be with that little front center for his height.

So much for pro athletes getting custom geometry any more, huh?

Back in the days of lugged or TIG'd frames it was a lot easier/cheaper to do customs. A new frame mold for a carbon bike is about $100K to CNC. You also have to calculate the fiber layups, but they are relatively cheap to laser.

Now the top pros get a stock frame with a custom paint job. The last custom CF frame I can recall was a Tarmac for Boonen back in the day....whole new mold and the only difference was a 1cm longer top tube vs stock.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Primacy of man over machine. Is there a problem with that? Couldn't be more opposite to F1, who still have far more rules limiting technology.

UCI have saved us from the monstrosities of the 90s. Let's be thankful. Either go with a recumbent or something that resembles a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has anyone got a close up of the extension grips he has? They look (from a distance) to be very... err... ergonomic? And he has been using chalk powder for grip. They look very interesting, just no close ups that I can find.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His are custom to him. Indeed an interesting shape.

Here are the latest ones I've been using on my track bike... similar idea I suppose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What rear wheel is on that bike? I saw another picture of that bike and can't tell if it's a hed or something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What rear wheel is on that bike? I saw another picture of that bike and can't tell if it's a hed or something else.
That's Princeton Carbonwork's new disc, matching the front he's been running.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder why they went with that opposed to the AEOX?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly small, but as alluded to a lot of it is probably visually due to the custom AeroCoach arm rests and extensions made to get around the current UCI rules. The other picture in this thread does not make the bike look nearly as undersized.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
That's Princeton Carbonwork's new disc, matching the front he's been running.

https://www.velonews.com/...ia-time-trial-bikes/

Is that the one shown here in this picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ganna on the largest Pinarello Bolide? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Slightly small, but as alluded to a lot of it is probably visually due to the custom AeroCoach arm rests and extensions made to get around the current UCI rules. The other picture in this thread does not make the bike look nearly as undersized.

I think this setup is MOST (or whoever actually does the 3d prints for Ineos) - looks different from the Vantaggio's he was using on the track.

Quote Reply

Prev Next