Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Adam Hansen Switching to Ironman
Quote | Reply
We saw him do one last year and apparently it was no fluke. On the latest CyclingNews podcast Adam Hansen announced that he will be leaving the sport of cycling to pursue Ironman full time. He said he was going to do a late season Ironman (two weeks after the Giro) for experience before really committing next season. What do you all think? Cyclists have a pretty mixed track record when moving over. How do you think he will fair?
Last edited by: rrheisler: Oct 6, 20 2:04
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can he swim? That usually seems to be the downfall. Great aerobic engines, no muscle.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman might be a little short for him.
He says he'll enter the pro division. He will do OK but won't set the world on fire.
Richie porte on the other hand still swims, us a top level tt rider and a former triathlete. He could retire soon. I'd like to see him line up at kona
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Can he swim? That usually seems to be the downfall. Great aerobic engines, no muscle.

He swam a 1:00:11 at 2019 IM FL

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If lance has his say he will send Porte to Kona, but I think he fizzles after the bike and runs a 3:20 and finishes 25 min outside the podium. I think Richie is too small to win Kona. He ends up with times similar to Welch or Bustos around 8:25.

To add to this Cam Wurf would outride Porte in Kona. 4 hrs Diesel engine is needed not the guy who can hang for the final 20 min of a climb with super high watts per kilo.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 3, 20 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
We saw him do one last year and apparently it was no fluke. On the latest CyclingNews podcast Adam Hanson announced that he will be leaving the sport of cycling to pursue Ironman full time. He said he was going to do a late season Ironman (two weeks after the Giro) for experience before really committing next season. What do you all think? Cyclists have a pretty mixed track record when moving over. How do you think he will fair?

Ex triathlete turned cyclist turned triathlete... should do pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
He raced triathlon as a junior up until he took his cycling more serious so hopefully there is a little swimming base to build off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 39, time is not on his side......

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
At 39, time is not on his side......

That was actually something he mentioned in the interview. He knows he isn't getting younger and if he wants to be competitive then he needs to switch sooner rather than later.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As said above, Hansen had a 60 minute swim at Florida last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I was aware of that but I thought as most people won't be aware the fact I mentioned. This may be a factor and help with a faster swim development he will need going forward as a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he can get his swim down to the 54/55 range which seems possible if he does 60 min off only cycling, then given his size, he can spend all day solo and be solid on the bike (like Wurf). But then there is the run. Keep in mind that Lance was 40 when he got back into triathlon. We never saw him run a marathon, but Lance held his own in half IM runs once he got his pacing down.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think he was clean when he came back in to sport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how he will go but as I've said look forward with interest to see how he goes. My mate is friends with him from way back in his tri days and has chatted to him since announcing his move to IM. He tells me he's not fast at running over the shorter distance but quotes 'he chugs along ok' in regards to his run. That said he is going to need to learn how to run off the bike. Let us not judge him on Portugal but fingers crossed he can make a Kona in a few years and we get to see what he can do on a bike in regards to the rest of the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He tweeted yesterday that prior to being a cyclist he was a triathlete who joined a cycling club as cycling was his weakest discipline.

I am fascinated to watch how this develops, given his attention to detail - and high performance background - I suspect he wonā€™t be intending to be an ā€œalso ranā€ .
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Herdwickmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herdwickmatt wrote:
Do you think he was clean when he came back in to sport?
The guy has worked his arse off for others his whole career. Had only a handful wins in big races testament to his talent and opportunity in races but has never had any suspicious episodes or shown any indication that he was ever been on the juice over about a 14 year pro career. Having met him, followed him and have a best mate who is good friends with him since before he started cycling I have no no reason to have any suspicions about doping during his career as much as any triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question was about Lances running ability not AdamHanson!šŸ˜†
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Herdwickmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herdwickmatt wrote:
My question was about Lances running ability not AdamHanson!šŸ˜†

Lance would have just known all the tricks needed, but pretty well everyone in management at Lotto Soudal knows all those tricks too (whether they use them on not is limited by the bio passport)....but from what I gather long course tri has no bio passport, so believe what we want about pro long course triathletes (including Lance when he came back). At least Adam is still under the bio passport, and I believe Wurf would be too being on a UCI registered team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top cyclists in triathlon aren't a million miles away from pro cyclists in term of performance. Well over a 180km TT. Similarly with swimming and running. Brownlee almost qualified for the 10'000m at the Olympics. So I don't think an elite swimmer/cyclist/runner is going to succeed in triathlon by relying on their superiority in their specific sport. They need to be strong across all three disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder when Richie Porte will make the switch? He was a triathlete, can swim, is small, and can be a world class TTer.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I wonder when Richie Porte will make the switch? He was a triathlete, can swim, is small, and can be a world class TTer.

I think he might be making the switch right now. Just signed a 2 year deal with Ineos. Wondering if heā€™s going to be on the Wurf plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Not only can he swim, he can swim well.

I'd go so far as to say that if Kona was in a month, and it was his sole focus, he'd lead off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
fulla wrote:

Not only can he swim, he can swim well.

I'd go so far as to say that if Kona was in a month, and it was his sole focus, he'd lead off the bike.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Hanson Switching to Ironman [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
fulla wrote:

I think he might be making the switch right now. Just signed a 2 year deal with Ineos. Wondering if heā€™s going to be on the Wurf plan.

I'd love to see Porte make the switch. Same with Campanaerts. He was keen triathlete as well during his younger days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, apart from shoes, what other make-your-own gear do we think Adam Hansen will bring to tri?
Quote Reply

Prev Next