Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleaning HRM terminals
Quote | Reply
My Garmin HRM is dropping and giving inaccurate readings. After close inspection, I realized that one of the terminals is corroded.

Tried alcohol and googled alterative solutions.

No dice.

Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning HRM terminals [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are describing a watch? Depending on model, is WIFi or BT not an upload option? If you have device that is 'wire only' for uploads, the normal approach for contact cleaning is the pink eraser at the end of an old skool pencil, That should provide the right balance of abrasiveness to clean the terminal without catastrophic damage...
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning HRM terminals [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - a HRM strap. I’m referencing the terminals that snap on to the strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a new strap or try mineral oil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the scrubber side of a sponge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are talking about the strap itself then I'd just get a new strap. I've had my corrode enough that I ended up pulling the contact out of the strap. My most recent strap didn't show any corrosion or anything but started giving me wonky readings so I washed it, then got electrode gel which neither helped. Got a new strap and I'm back in business.

If you really just want to try and fix the contacts then maybe some fine sandpaper, or as a poster above suggested, the coarse side of a sponge. Could also use some dielectric grease every few days on the contacts to keep corrosion at a minimum but now you are starting to get around the cost of a new strap anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning HRM terminals [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
If you are talking about the strap itself then I'd just get a new strap. I've had my corrode enough that I ended up pulling the contact out of the strap. My most recent strap didn't show any corrosion or anything but started giving me wonky readings so I washed it, then got electrode gel which neither helped. Got a new strap and I'm back in business.

If you really just want to try and fix the contacts then maybe some fine sandpaper, or as a poster above suggested, the coarse side of a sponge. Could also use some dielectric grease every few days on the contacts to keep corrosion at a minimum but now you are starting to get around the cost of a new strap anyways.

I am actually referring to the transmitter.
Last edited by: greenlawnracing: Oct 6, 20 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check around the "nipples" on the transmitter, ive found theycan crack, sweat will then wick inside the unit, and then is not long before its a bin job...

Ive hacked one open, and internally the "nipple" is connected to a spring, which presses against the internal PCB, sweat wicks up these and once it gets to the PCB it reacts with the copper and gues green and furry and then it'll never make contact again.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning HRM terminals [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't see any cracks, although I may have missed something.

Already bought a new one, but wanted to make sure this one wasn't simply in need of an easy fix before I toss it.
Last edited by: greenlawnracing: Oct 6, 20 13:26
Quote Reply