Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tube moron moment, what did I do?
Quote | Reply
Silca latex tube, HED disc wheel. Putting the chuck on I pushed the head on the valve in and lost most the air that was in the tube. Fine. Usually I press my thumb on the tire to hold the valve down while pressing the chuck on.

After doing this and going to inflate, hole in tube. Hole is a solid size, about size you could put the tip of a ballpoint pen through. Hole is 1/4" from the edge of the rubber valve gasket along the circumference of the rim, on the inner facing side (towards the hub).

Nothing on the rim bed. Tape looks good.

These tubes don't come with threaded bodies at the base like a cheap butyl where you could use the locking nut.

Only Idea I had was that somehow I pressed it to cover up the air entry to the tube overall and forced it to just that tiny spot and that popped the hole in it.

What did I do here? I feel like I screwed up. Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube moron moment, what did I do? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno... I pull on the valve rather than press. Never had an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done exactly what you did dozens of times with my vittoria latex tubes (same general design); never had an issue. I'd chalk this up to a fluke. Patch or replace the tube and move on.

You could get the valve extender with speed shield, so the valve stays in place; if you are concerned.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube moron moment, what did I do? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the speed shield, extender and nut. Never had this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had/did the same. My thought was they had a bad batch of tubes. I purchased it last winter or spring possibly from Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea here either. Maybe it was already in wrong and about to fail and you just hastened it in some way? That's all I can think of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no you arent a moron, its a known thing. read the last 20 or so posts here. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...failures_P4597956-3/
Quote Reply