Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RIP Kevin Purcell
Quote | Reply
https://www.obituare.com/...cell-obituary-81467/

I know a lot of you local Southern California folks will know this guy, he was a constant podium reminder to me since I started racing AG, and to never rest on my laurels. I had many opportunities over the years to have a beer and chat with Kevin, did not know he was sick though. Many of you probably were coached by him at some point, he was prolific in our community for many, many years. I will miss the thought of him out there always pushing the old guys limits, and the motivation that provided a lot of us from the old, original era...
Last edited by: monty: Oct 1, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of you to post this. Kevin is guy who help so many over the years. he will be missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work really hard these days because of guys like Kevin. He always gives us the idea that slowing down was a mindset and did not have to be a given. RIP Kevin!

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty I was saddened to hear about his passing yesterday and was waiting to see if a thread popped up about his life as he was often active here in the early days on ST from 2002 till 2008 or so after which I saw him less. Kevin and I had a lot of great discussions on the old Ironman Canada forum from 1997 and onwards and he gave me a lot of motivation and tips over the many years I did not qualify for Kona (13 ironman trys in 15 years then finally qualified). He was always positive and encouraging thru all the times I tried and failed and thankful for his kind words of encouragement (not every perpetual Kona qual guy is like that). I think Kevin would be moving to 65-69 around now as he was roughly 2 age groups ahead of me and I just joined 55-59. I hope his wife and daughters are dealing with this as well as possible during this horrible time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Very sad. I don't think I ever met Kevin but I felt I knew him primarily from his comments on the Gordo Byrn website message board and his social media comments on posts from Gordo after the website message board ended. He seemed to have a great perspective on balancing family with triathlon. I have an Epic Camp poster with Purcell leading Byrn and Molina up a climb in New Zealand. His spirit will not be forgotten. RIP Kevin.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 2, 20 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin taught me the art of Ironman. His initial assessment of my coaching needs provided the handle ā€œWild Horseā€ in 2004. Prayers to his family and friends, they meant everything to him.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember him from Gordoā€™s old page as well, particularly his posts about balancing family, career and triathlon. I saw him at IMFL way back when, he was a beast on the race course. RIP.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad to hear of his death. Life is short in my opinion. Make every day count! Blessings to his family.

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vaguely remember meeting him at Ironman Canada waaaay back in the day.

I know a few of his athletes and they all had very high praise for him.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Oct 2, 20 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never knew Kevin nor heard of him in my time, but I have seen many post about him recently and he sounds like an inspirational and encouraging triathlete coach and advisor that certainly touched the lives of quite a few triathletes, amateurs and professionals alike. I am sorry for your loss of a friend, a competitor and asset to the triathlon community.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asset to the community both triathlon and in general is a one good way to describe KP. I met him in 2001 when I first moved to San Diego. Itā€™s a devastating loss for his family, friends and the community. RIP Brother
In Reply To:

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad Monty. Kevin was a good man and always genially concerned with how you were doing. I was at so many events with Kevin and he was such a race horse. Had no idea he was sick and had lost touch for some time. I also remember a few rides with him and he would always let me suck his wheel heading home. Bless his family.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [IMVoice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMVoice wrote:
Very sad Monty. Kevin was a good man and always genially concerned with how you were doing. I was at so many events with Kevin and he was such a race horse. Had no idea he was sick and had lost touch for some time. I also remember a few rides with him and he would always let me suck his wheel heading home. Bless his family.

Well guys, we have had Mike Reilly get us over many many finish lines. This is not a finish line any of us want to be at, but it it great that Mike was able to come in and share his kind words at a finish line that Kevin would have not liked to be at this young. Thanks Mike, this definitely means a lot,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve known KP since 1999 when a bunch of us got together on the old Ironman California chat forum which morphed to the ā€œYellow Pageā€ (since that was the color of the webpage) and a group of us have stayed friends ever since. KP was one of the nicest people you would ever meet in your whole life. I think Gordo has stated it very well.

https://feelthebyrn.blog/.../30/remembering-kev/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Iā€™ve known KP since 1999 when a bunch of us got together on the old Ironman California chat forum which morphed to the ā€œYellow Pageā€ (since that was the color of the webpage) and a group of us have stayed friends ever since. KP was one of the nicest people you would ever meet in your whole life. I think Gordo has stated it very well.

https://feelthebyrn.blog/.../30/remembering-kev/

I believe my first interaction with Kevin was 1997 or 1998 on the old Ironman Canada "grey page". By the way, the person who is a gentleman online is a gentleman in the live world. Jackass online, eventually in real life, jackass emerges. Can we remember a single time that Kevin was not a gentleman in the online world? I cannot. Always supportive, positive, and motivational and a calming influence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this Monty.

KP was the greatest. I had the good fortune to work with him for years as part of the Endurance Corner team and to get to know him in the best way possible - on his wheel for many, many miles during Epic camp 2006.

Tough as nails but, at the same time, the biggest heart and wisest noggin' of any guy that I've ever had the good fortune to know. And, always willing to share that big heart and big wisdom with anyone who was lucky enough to cross his path.

The tri-world lost a big piece of its heart with the departure of KP last week but his impact will live on for many years to come.

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for sharing

And, always willing to share that big heart and big wisdom with anyone who was lucky enough to cross his path. -- i was one of the lucky ones = almost 15 years ago when we exchanged messages on training plus we also had the same litespeed so it started about me asking about his bike then him giving training advice that i still follow to this day, told him i was in asia and he just shared story after story about his travels . God Speed KP!

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not know Kevin, but the smartest people I know in the triathlon coaching world all thought of Kevin as one of the smartest people they knew. And they all speak even more glowingly of him as a person. What a legacy.

Prayers to his family and friends.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [IMVoice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your stories about Kevin, this is what I had hoped for when posting this thread. He was a truly nice guy, and the usual nonsense that gets into people's lives, just did not seem to be there with him. I've known him for a very long time, but did not know him at a super personal level, so thanks to all that did and are filling in some of the gaps...We were the same age and I always looked forward to meeting him on the podiums and pushing the limits into our twilight years. Lots of people are going to miss that guy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread and recognizing Kevin's life in this venue where he had a huge impact (not just ST, but many parts of triathlon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like clm I knew KP from the IMCal Yellow Page and had the pleasure of many a time with him in the early 2000s. He was always encouraging and helpful through good times and bad.

Hope he has found Scrote up there and is having a laugh and a beer with him.

Not the best picture I have, but the one I could find. La Jolla Cove 2000. Dude was a beast.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never met him, but I recall, in my very early days of competing, I won some San Diego tri. Later that night, I got an email from him, or maybe it was a PM thru Slowtwitch. He congratulated me on my win and commented that I've been doing very well lately and that he'd be keeping an eye on me. I, of course, thanked him and that was that. But, I thought, who would do that? That's amazing and now reading here, seems like that's the kind of guy he was. A big loss to our community, for sure.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty: thanks for posting! Darn this is sad. I didn't know Kevin well but being in his Age Group most of the time I did have occasion to cross paths with him from time to time. He was one of those guys (like Joe B. from Naples) that I looked up to for both his capabilities and for his character....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That smile is what I will remember

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Kevin Purcell [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KP was very much a part of the Canadian tri-scene, especially at Ironman Canada.

That is truly sad news to read.

I only had the privilege of meeting and chatting with KP a few times at Iron Bradā€™s ā€˜Whine and Whirlā€™ dinners and a couple of swims with him, Brad and Gordo (I got left in their wake) so didnā€™t really get know him nearly as well as I would have liked.

I know you remember the days of the old Ironman Canada forum. KP would offer advice as well as share his experiences and wisdom with readers and as I read his words I could feel myself filling with positive energy and a desire to be like him. At that point in my life I was undergoing tremendous personal change and despite barely knowing him, he helped me become a better person and was one of a few who influenced how I wanted to conduct myself in the future.

I recall running on Main Street in the wildfire smoke of 2003. It was becoming dusk and I was suffering on my second of the three laps of the marathon when the unmistakable figure of KP passed me ā€“ slowly, steadily and solid as the Rock of Ages ā€“ taking it home on his third and final lap. I called out, ā€œKevin Purcell!! Craig Birk!!ā€ He gave me the thumbs up as he soldiered on through the smoke.

From what I have heard KP was always up for a tough training session, he was a great mentor who acted with integrity and was fiercely loyal to his family and friends.

Iā€™m very sad to hear of this loss but, paradoxically, I am also very happy because I am one of the fortunate people who got to meet him.

And that smile, well it never stopped. Here he is going up you know what!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Last edited by: Hydrosloth: Oct 3, 20 8:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next