Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTRI comes to US in 2021
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/xtriworld

Loved my race at Norseman, 2014. So grabbed my attention for sure.

An Xtreme Tri out of Park City UT. Awesome.

But then read that it's being hosted by the Iron Cowboy.

Ugh.

No thanks.
Last edited by: Dan Funk: Oct 1, 20 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

Ugh.

No thanks.

+1

You can always go up to Quebec for Canadaman.... when the border opens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

Ugh.

No thanks.

Before reading your whole post I just followed the link so see what you were talking about. When I saw Iron Cowboy, I stopped reading and returned here.

I had the same reaction as you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to bonnie Torridon in Scotland for Celtman.

(Don't forget your waterproof a d some really good midge repellant)
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:

Ugh.

No thanks.

Before reading your whole post I just followed the link so see what you were talking about. When I saw Iron Cowboy, I stopped reading and returned here.

I had the same reaction as you.

I met Iron cowboy at Norseman in 2017. We waited together for the shuttle to get us to the hotel from the base of the elevator from the mountain. He seemed a really nice guy. Really passionate about triathlon. His support team was really exuberant and having a great time. I saw his involvement as a positive. What am I missing? What is your reasoning for tuning out a race he is involved with?
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to hate iron cowboy, then saw his documentary special, it changed my perspective on him.
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i used to hate iron cowboy, then saw his documentary special, it changed my perspective on him.

Opposite for me. Never heard of him. Watched the doc. Found him to be super annoying. And that's questionable race ethics aside.

Editing to add: the event still looks awesome though & I'm completely supportive of him wanting to grow that sport. That should be an indisputable positive. But scheduling it as the same day as 70.3 worlds (also in Utah) is just plain stupid. $450 entry seems quite reasonable
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Oct 2, 20 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had me at "XTRI", you lost me at IC.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up to do the race this morning. I like challenge, good scenery and going someplace new.

Maybe I’ll learn the hard way, but I don’t see how my like/dislike of Iron Cowboy (I have no strong opinion) is going to affect my race experience. I think I’ll have my own self and support crew to worry about and focus on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

Ugh.

No thanks.

Honestly, this race looks incredible. Xtri does a great job with races and the location would be unreal. Can't for the life of me understand why they would do it the same weekend as 70.3 WC in St. George though.
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice789 wrote:
I signed up to do the race this morning. I like challenge, good scenery and going someplace new.

Maybe I’ll learn the hard way, but I don’t see how my like/dislike of Iron Cowboy (I have no strong opinion) is going to affect my race experience. I think I’ll have my own self and support crew to worry about and focus on.

Agree, the majority of people do not have a positive perception of Ironman but that doesn't stop them from signing up for races every year. I am very tempted by this race though as I was disappointed that IMStG didn't happen and a race like this makes that one look easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I met Iron cowboy at Norseman in 2017. We waited together for the shuttle to get us to the hotel from the base of the elevator from the mountain. He seemed a really nice guy. Really passionate about triathlon. His support team was really exuberant and having a great time. I saw his involvement as a positive. What am I missing? What is your reasoning for tuning out a race he is involved with?"

It might very well take that much to turn my opinion around.
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T2LV wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:

Ugh.

No thanks.

Honestly, this race looks incredible. Xtri does a great job with races and the location would be unreal. Can't for the life of me understand why they would do it the same weekend as 70.3 WC in St. George though.

I guess that its just that they generally don't see themselves as head to head competition with half distance IMs.
Xtri is much more basic, self supporting (ie your own support crew) racers, low numbers (200 or 250 max) low impact on the area, quiet and un-assuming etc. No huge razzmatazz, no shutting major roads, no asking cities for huge piles of $$$ just to show up, no huge 1-shot-plastic environmental carnage, etc. Ita about the experience.
To the 1-IM-and-out bucket listers, to non-Triathlon types there's no bragging rights to say 'I did an Xtri', no calf tattoo to be had (even though it's a lot harder that most IMs).
Given the chance, I know which one I'd be in though... if you only have 10% of the fun I had at the Xtri I was lucky to be part of last year, you'll have a ball. And your support team will too - my 3 friends who supported me all said they loved it. 'The best tri I've ever been in... and I wasn't even racing' said one of them afterwards.
I'm trying to work out which I may be able to get to next year (in Europe) and actually get fit enough for.
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just registered. Gonna be awesome. I also hope to do ICON XTri Italy in 2022 where the bike course has Stelvio Pass.
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starvation Xtri website is up with course details. See you out there DV8R!

https://starvationxtri.com/the-course/
Quote Reply
Re: XTRI comes to US in 2021 [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice789 wrote:
Starvation Xtri website is up with course details. See you out there DV8R!

https://starvationxtri.com/the-course/

omg, yes! now I can completely nerd-out on this all day

few things I see so far:
Course page estimates 52 deg F water temp, whereas Facts and Rules page estimates 62 deg F, I think 62defF is prob more accurate based on what I was reading about another reservoir close by
the Schedule of Events page doesn't have any info, that would be nice to have soon for travel booking purposes
it appears that there is not a requirement for a support crew person to accompany the athlete on the last 10k of the run like it is on other XTri events
from about mile 49 to 55, the GPX file bike course leaves UT-35 but this is a forrest service road, I bet the actual race course does not do this and just stays on UT-35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Cowboy alignment with the race has no impact on whether or not I'm interested.

I was pretty sure I'd never do a full distance again, but this might get me back out there. They had me at 52 degree water.
Quote Reply