Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..)
Quote | Reply
Hi all

my garmin 935 barometer and HR broke again but i was able to get a refund

any recommendations for other brands which dont break as easy and possibly offer better tech?

coros is new and heard some good things

also polar stands out

any other brands or coros/polar that people recommend over garmins...

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can vouch for Suunto.

Owned an Ambit 2 for six years and it didn't skip a beat in all that time.

I upgraded to the Suunto 5 just over 12 months ago and its been similarly bombproof. Never crashes or has any issues (unlime Garmin). I think Suunto are very underrated and the 5 is a great value for money multisport watch. Only downside is its bluetooth only, no Ant+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the original Coros Pace, and it's been everything I've needed. Pace 2 is out. The battery is AMAZING - In a 6 hour training day it was maybe 15% battery use, good solid GPS and features.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Coros product at all.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
I got the original Coros Pace, and it's been everything I've needed. Pace 2 is out. The battery is AMAZING - In a 6 hour training day it was maybe 15% battery use, good solid GPS and features.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Coros product at all.

Coros Apex user. Coros are amazing aren't they?

I like the Apex because it has routes and trail running, etc.... but at the price the Pace 2 can't be beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered an Apex Pro. Looking forward to something besides Garmin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a direct answer, but I am curious if others will chime in... Is the barometric altimeter failure a general multisport watch problem, or is it specific to Garmin? It has been a Garmin thing for as long as I can remember (dating back to my Forerunner 910XT). My 735XT never had an altimeter glitch, because it did not have an altimeter.

Many of the Suunto watches do not have barometric altimeters, so that could be a strength by omission. On the other hand, the Coros watches do have them.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 2, 20 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Not a direct answer, but I am curious if others will chime in... Is the barometric altimeter failure a general multisport watch problem, or is it specific to Garmin? It has been a Garmin thing for as long as I can remember (dating back to my Forerunner 910XT). My 715XT never had an altimeter glitch, because it did not have an altimeter.

Many of the Suunto watches do not have barometric altimeters, so that could be a strength by omission. On the other hand, the Coros watches do have them.

Do you mean 735XT? I have this watch, and the altitude is often off by quite a bit, especially off road, because of no altimeter.

I'm seriously considering the Pace 2, but it doesn't have a trail feature. I like trail running a bit, but not really sure if that's much of an issue. Is this related to GPS accuracy when under tree cover?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my Apple Watch (altimeter), the Strava upload consistently reports about 30% more climbing than the workout on the watch. I assume Strava is more accurate because it's referencing some geospatial database. The interesting thing is this doesn't happen on runs, watch and Strava agree very closely.

I think what's happening on rides are that the altimeter doesn't sample very often and at riding speeds it's missing a lot of quick changes in elevation, but running is slow enough that it gets pretty close. I guess I could test this by doing a very slow ride and seeing if the agreement is better.
Last edited by: rosshm: Oct 2, 20 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
With my Apple Watch (altimeter), the Strava upload consistently reports about 30% more climbing than the workout on the watch. I assume Strava is more accurate because it's referencing some geospatial database. The interesting thing is this doesn't happen on runs, watch and Strava agree very closely.

I think what's happening on rides are that the altimeter doesn't sample very often and at riding speeds it's missing a lot of quick changes in elevation, but running is slow enough that it gets pretty close.
You are probably right about the AW & accuracy. It samples position data infrequently to conserve battery. That is what causes the overly smoothed GPS courses, and it would affect altitude as well. And as you suspect, this is compounded the faster you are traveling.
natethomas wrote:
Do you mean 735XT? I have this watch, and the altitude is often off by quite a bit, especially off road, because of no altimeter.

I'm seriously considering the Pace 2, but it doesn't have a trail feature. I like trail running a bit, but not really sure if that's much of an issue. Is this related to GPS accuracy when under tree cover?
Doh-typo. Yes, I meant the 735XT. Mine was generally good on runs, but I always ran on roads with very good GPS coverage. The worse your GPS (trails & trees) the worse altitude would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried them all and came back to Garmin. Not the answer you want. And other brands have plenty of happy users. I honestly don’t recall my specific dislikes of all other brands. They were minor, of course as they are all pretty amazing pieces of technology. But, in my experience, Garmin is the best.

And if you use music, 945 is a game changer. Connection to BT is nearly flawless (and I was very critical of connection of the 645). Not having to bring yet another piece of equipment on a run (Ie mp3/iPod) and figure out wheee to put it/how to mount it to body, pocket etc. is so nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a Suunto, however, the Fenix series is an incredible watch (caveat: the best watch in the Garmin series and I am not a Garmin fanboy).
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:

My watch before the Coros was a Garmin. The Garmin was absolute garbage in comparison.

The Coros mobile app is so good and firmware updates are the easiest of any electronic device I've ever owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
r-b wrote:

My watch before the Coros was a Garmin. The Garmin was absolute garbage in comparison.

The Coros mobile app is so good and firmware updates are the easiest of any electronic device I've ever owned.

Good to hear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. Another Garmin HR monitor dead today. Only a couple weeks of use. It's about the 5th one for me. I'm over it. Garmin GPS always shows me running way off the road, shorts me distance when I run with friends and elevation gain is always lower then friends. I've dealt with it because it's not a real big deal, but would love something else.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned a number of Polar watches over the years and couldn't be happier with the quality, reliability and durability of the product. If needed, the service is also fantastic. I would highly recommend the ownership experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I'm with you. Another Garmin HR monitor dead today. Only a couple weeks of use. It's about the 5th one for me. I'm over it. Garmin GPS always shows me running way off the road, shorts me distance when I run with friends and elevation gain is always lower then friends. I've dealt with it because it's not a real big deal, but would love something else.

Garmin HR monitors are terrible!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is a good Q... My 935XT crapped the barometer and the warranty replacement has been hit-or-miss on altitude. Seems to work, mostly, but sometimes weird. My FR305 has a barometric altimeter and it is (1) ancient and (2) perfect - so is it cost cutting or other factors that compromise altimeter durability in modern Garmin devices?

WRT the positive Coros responses...yup, this is my plan when the 935XT draws its last breath. I have a Amazfit Bip S and it opened my eyes to what was possible at the price point. Not a multisport device but it has everything else I need...for $60 USD. GPS is fine and optical HR is OK. For $60 USD! Garmin is now a Ferrari, but I'm looking for the Acura equivalent...
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Fenix5, but it's been replaced twice by Garmin due to the altimeter dying. The problem is that when it dies, the Garmin still uses it for runs/rides (so they all read 0m of climbing) vs. just defaulting to the GPS values. There is no elegant way to get the Garmin to ignore its own busted sensor.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are exactly right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar Vantage M. Found it open box for $150. Couldn’t be happier with it. I like the polar app more than garmin as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an suunto ambit 2 baro in summer 2014 and had some problems with battery life and the baro sensor in 2015. I send it back to the retailer and I received a (at this time) brandnew ambit 3 peak (also with baro) for free. Since then I didn't have any issues with the sensor or anything else. This summer a friend and I crossed the watzmann in the german alps. He had a 2 month old fenix 6 and he was always 50m below the correct altitude. My ambit had less then 5m difference.
The biggest challenge now is the shutdown of movescount and the app only use. But thanks to some great software developers you can use quantified-self.io for desktop analyses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard a few replies for coros now, whats the swimming performance like though for the pool? Coros seem to market as a trail running watch mainly and cant find much on how well they work for recording pool workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how does it perform for swimming ? i know polar sponsor a number of triathletes so it must be geared pretty well for it. i really only use the watch for swim/run workouts so just want a watch that doesnt break and records those workouts well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best new Tri watch (garmin broke again..) [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polar Vantage M. Found it open box for $150. Couldn’t be happier with it. I like the polar app more than garmin as well.

If you are just looking for the basics being covered - Heart-Rate*, GPS and Power, you really can't go wrong with the Polar Vantage M. I think Ray Maker called it one of the best values at the mid-price-point for wrist units.

*Make sure to get the chest strap - it makes HR tracking way more accurate. The Vantage M has been my Tech Piece since it came out. I only track HR, and of course use the GPS as well for cycling and Strava.

The app be it mobile or on a notebook is easy to understand and intuitive.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next