Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I remember you saying you were working on updating PD instructions. I did assume you hadn't gotten to this one yet.

I did see the new sheet on the site... But, I also saw the reference to a new version of the stem. I couldnt confirm through other means that both versions were the same. Thus....

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could. But, I only had the one steerer to cut... And it's done. We've already established I don't exactly buy bikes on a regular basis. If I thought I'd ever use it again, I'd have already bought one.

And, yes I have a hacksaw, as well as numerous other metal cutting tools from bandsaw to plasma cutters. Tool ownership is not something for which I lack.

Also, I didn't feel like practicing on my p3sl wolf fork...given that a quick search didn't yield any replacement options. I'm sure I could find one, or replace with something else. But, I didn't feel like it for a single cut... When I wasn't allowed to use my arms back then anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to send you a cutting guide.

If you can't use your arms, you could have a wife, girlfriend, or kid use the hacksaw.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had written a stem specific one too but that hasn't been published. It just got integrated into the complete.
The V2 stem is the same forging mould, then machined differently to make cable routing a little easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can use my arms... Now. I just wasn't allowed to back in March after heart surgery. For some reason they didn't want me sawing, lifting, pulling, pushing, etc until my chest and ribs healed. I just fijished building a retaining wall...... Today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for confirming no difference other than width from the ergo armrests and hand position from the 35c+ extensions. I was concerned stack height was 23mm higher as indicated by the website, which would make fit problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for more questions, but I'm having problems with installing the aeroport. The pictures you provided and the product manual indicate the di2 wire exits the back of the extensions, but I can't figure out how to make that work without squashing the di2 wire pretty significantly. I have the 35c+ extensions, so the parts should fit. Can you provide a better description/pictures of the process or is the fit really that tight? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason the shim wasn’t included with the stem i bought. Is it possible to get it seperately?
If not, i’m probably just going to return it, order a new one and hope it comes with the new stem
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean the adaptor for a 1" steerer?
I'm not sure if those are still included - which region are you in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the adaptor for 1” steerer. It says it’s included on the website, so I assume it’s still being included.
I’m in Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [clamato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clamato wrote:
Sorry for more questions, but I'm having problems with installing the aeroport. The pictures you provided and the product manual indicate the di2 wire exits the back of the extensions, but I can't figure out how to make that work without squashing the di2 wire pretty significantly. I have the 35c+ extensions, so the parts should fit. Can you provide a better description/pictures of the process or is the fit really that tight? Thanks!

Just received my aeroport, But haven’t installer it yet (cutting extensions after a bikefit). I foresee the same problem as you. I have the battery in the frame, so only the junction for me. What I noticed is that both extensions Seem to have more Carbon on the bottom than on the top, only the left side Will fit the junction - wether it’s Down to tolerances or on purpose, i dont know. Also, the junction should be fitted upside Down as Per the manual - not sure it matters with regards to the wire being clamped or not, But worth a shot. Also, I doubt there’s a need to tighten the clamp much more than “not falling out”, even if the manual says 3nm. Maybe depending on the tilt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I got my aeroport installed, although I have no clue if I actually did it as Profile Design intended. The issue with having the di2 wire squashed wasn't with clamping the port onto the end of the extension, rather, it was getting the wire to fit between the port and the extension so that it could exit the extension. Since the port acts as a cap on the rear end of the extension, when you connect the di2 wire, it is running back towards the grip end of the extension. My interpretation of the installation directions was that you had to loop the wire back towards the rear end of the extensions. My trouble was that, as you noted, it is already a pretty tight fit just to put the aeroport into the end of the extension and now you also had to figure out how to get the di2 wire thru that space. Below is a picture of the EW-RS910 junction in its normal orientation.

After the first loop to get the di2 wire running back to the end of the extension, my solution was to squeeze another loop of the wire along the upwardly sloping shelf that runs from the back of the unit to the front. You end up with a loop of wire that exits the extension and then runs back towards the front where it fits thru the channel in the aeroport clamp and continues to the channel in the stack spacers of the bar and then feeds down into the base bar. I'm sure Cyclenutnz will correct me if I've done something horribly wrong (which is entirely possible). I believe the reason there is more carbon on the bottom of the extensions than elsewhere is that in order to make the junction fit, the internal diameter of the carbon extensions had to be increased. The bottom of the extensions are subject to the most stress, so little/no material was removed from this part of the bar. Again, I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is incorrect.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [clamato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t really have any problems routing the wire out.
But I’ll Bet I’ll have a hard time routing the hydraulic cables through the mess of the DI2 cables when that time comes.
Haven’t gotten that far with the build yet, as I Can’t get the stem on. Since the adaptor shim wasn’t included with my stem, I bough a generic one. Wether it’s the tolerance of the steerer, shim, stem or a combination, I don’t know. But the shim fits so tight on the steerer I would need a hammer to get it on properly (which Will eventually defeat the purpose on the top cap). And the stem won’t fit either. Shim fitted perfectly inside the stem before Mounting it the the steerer, so wether it’s the fork steerer outside dimension og the shim thickness that’s wrong is anybody’s guess. Ordered another brand of shim, as that’s hopefully, that’s if I Can actually get it off again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the problem - the shim (when not mounted) has an internal diameter less than 1” and 1 1/8” out diameter, so obviously bigger when mounted
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to get the quite heavy AU 100 stem mounted onto my sworks shiv. Still needs some modification...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should the bridge always be used for 40mm or more risers? - the bridge is sort of in the way of the magnet on the front hydration system.
I could use a longer stem than the 100mm AU stem - does the 1/seventeen have internal routing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the bridge should be used for more than 40mm of rise. The square hole in the centre of the bridge is designed to locate the satellite magnet so the hose doesn't get stuck under the bridge (just don't use the rubber base for the magnet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Yes the bridge should be used for more than 40mm of rise. The square hole in the centre of the bridge is designed to locate the satellite magnet so the hose doesn't get stuck under the bridge (just don't use the rubber base for the magnet).

I have an urge to ask “why?” - it seems pretty solid without it.
Manual doesn’t mention anything, But it’s the same length front bolt for 0 and 15 degrees tilt?
Oh, and as for the stem length, I have cups mounted as far forward as possible, rear holes on the cups and front holes on the stack, is that a problem? (Still, my saddle is further rear than I like it). On an Andean size L frameset, I May have short legs and long torso (needed to cut the seat post to get it low enough)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:

Just to prevent twisting of the tower.
Quote:
Manual doesn’t mention anything, But it’s the same length front bolt for 0 and 15 degrees tilt?
Yes it is. Feel free to put a longer bolt in the front when tilted. Using the same length bolts is tested and safe, different lengths were judged to be more complicated.

Quote:
Oh, and as for the stem length, I have cups mounted as far forward as possible, rear holes on the cups and front holes on the stack, is that a problem? (Still, my saddle is further rear than I like it). On an Andean size L frameset, I May have short legs and long torso (needed to cut the seat post to get it low enough)

That pad position has been tested and is fine.
The 1/seventeen stem does not have internal cable routing. But it would give you the possibility for more reach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
brasch wrote:

Just to prevent twisting of the tower.
Quote:
Yes it is. Feel free to put a longer bolt in the front when tilted. Using the same length bolts is tested and safe, different lengths were judged to be more complicated.

Quote:

That pad position has been tested and is fine.
The 1/seventeen stem does not have internal cable routing. But it would give you the possibility for more reach

Do you by any chance know the bolt spacing for the 1/seventeen Aeria faceplate? - looking to find a 120 or 130 (maybe even a 140) stem with internal routing that the hydration system could fit to with the face plate. Maybe Canyon or QR make them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
Do you by any chance know the bolt spacing for the 1/seventeen Aeria faceplate? - looking to find a 120 or 130 (maybe even a 140) stem with internal routing that the hydration system could fit to with the face plate. Maybe Canyon or QR make them?

There are stems that match the bolt spacing, but not the clamp wraparound. And no other stem has been tested. You really don't want to take risks with your stem faceplate.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cylindrical nuts on my Aeria have stripped and I´m looking for spare parts. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I couldn´t find them anywhere.

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
datomakin wrote:
The cylindrical nuts on my Aeria have stripped and I´m looking for spare parts. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I couldn´t find them anywhere.

Thanks for your help

These are the ones I´m talking about. They´re called "barrel - Aeria bracket with slot".

Would be great if someone could help me source a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which country are you in?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Which country are you in?

I´m based in Europe (Sweden), that doesn´t make it easy :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next