Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration
Quote | Reply
IM Canada registration opened up to priority registration and now open to the general public, I though most people got rolled over to next year so how can there be that many spot? I noticed that they also give people the option to defer next year with no questions asked and defer to 2022, perhaps they are assuming lots of people were defer and they can over subscribe even more the they usually do.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a risk we won’t be able to race next August..or the Canadians won’t let us from the U.S. in. I keep debating signing up but keep thinking it’s a risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The border will be open by then.

Quick testing (not PCR) upon entry to avoid quarantine and rollout of vaccines.
Trust me... Canadians want to vacation in the USA as well. It WILL open.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how many spots can there really be left after everyone from this year rolled over, the FB page shows lots of people registering for next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
But how many spots can there really be left after everyone from this year rolled over, the FB page shows lots of people registering for next year?
There are as many spots left as the City of Penticton will allow numbers to race.The field limit is not set in stone for any of these events.How many were signed up for this years "full field" before Covid shut it down?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

...and its not just Canadians wanting to vacation. Canadian companies are getting hammered by not being able to head to the USA on biz without a 14 day quarantine when they get home, so eventually the border opening up will be pushed on the govt by the biz world and the govt will decide when its healthwise and politically enough of risk reward trade off to open up.

I suspect by the depth of winter in Canada, it will be politically "acceptable" to test opening up the border again, because all Canadians with power and money who can influence the govts but trapped in igloos will need to go golf in Florida, Arizona and Hawaii. Let's revive this thread around winter golfing getaway season and you can bet the quarantine will be reduced (or minimally re enter and stay at home till your Covid19 test at airport comes out clear). Frankly this is the way it should be....go travel wherever you want and get tested on arrival and if you are positive, you isolate for 14 days and if not and you are clear, just go live normally (I believe this is how it works for visitors to Iceland and Dubai and we will have pressure to implement that in Canada).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I changed my registration from IMC to IMCDA. I don’t trust Canada. Their lockdown rules are retarded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
I though most people got rolled over to next year so how can there be that many spot?

Your making the assumption that the same people who wanted to race in 2020 year CAN race in 2021. Not everyone races every year, its a long training play to do a full, jobs, family, ect, make it all a big commitment. Not everyone can do that so my guess is that IM Canada had a lot of spots open.

IM Maryland was sold out for 2020 but priority registration just opened for 2021 so people must be bailing out of that race too.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is 30 years since my first IMC Penticton in 1991. I just got an email to register. I don't need to worry about Canadian stupid quarantine rules in Canada, but I would prefer to drive 2:45 to Lake Placid than fly across the country!!!! Having said that I have not done an Ironman in 6 years and proably best to stick to Olympic and half IM
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would LOVE to see you back at an IM finish line, Paul - You have at least one more IM in those legs! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
I changed my registration from IMC to IMCDA. I don’t trust Canada. Their lockdown rules are retarded.

With a bunch of diseased Americans next door most Canadians are supportive of the rules. Get your public health measures in order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine half the issue is lodging. I rolled my 2020 registration to 2021 a couple weeks ago and immediately starting looking for a new house for 2021. We found 3 different places that met our needs and all 3 declined siting uncertainty with Americans being able to come into country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now pre-travel PCR testing is the thing.
PCR requires time to collect, ship to a lab, run the test and result all with a tight turnaround time of 72 hours required by most jurisdictions.
Although even Hawaii is saying you can chill in your hotel room until the test results arrive.

IMO, it's unsustainable as travel volumes ramp up.
The quick spit test will eventually be approved as "good enough".
It's currently in clinical trials at YEG.
It will take a while to produce enough test kits to roll something like that out on a nationwide level, first at airports and then at land crossings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:

With a bunch of diseased Americans next door most Canadians are supportive of the rules. Get your public health measures in order.

I was looking forward to doing Penticton. It will have to wait several years. Me and family of about 8-10 people will have to go there some other time. Enjoy your desolate caccoon for now. When you’re forced to open your borders, you’re due for an awakening
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AchillesHeal wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
AchillesHeal wrote:

I was looking forward to doing Penticton. It will have to wait several years. Me and family of about 8-10 people will have to go there some other time. Enjoy your desolate caccoon for now. When you’re forced to open your borders, you’re due for an awakening

You know how many countries are open to Americans right now? About two dozen.
Canadians are free to travel to a wide range of countries.
I think it's you that's in the cocoon (there's the correct spelling for you).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just talked to a Canadian friend who did Cozumel 70.3. When he got back to Canada, he had to quarantine himself for 2wks. That’s not freedom to travel! How many countries are you gonna travel to? I just go one place every year. I’ll pick one of the dozen and eventually the world will normalize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is we're actually allowed to enter other countries because our public health response is considered exemplary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The difference is we're actually allowed to enter other countries because our public health response is considered exemplary.

Everywhere worth going I can go. But I have no time for 2 wk quarantines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Related-unrelated...

I'm hoping IM Mont-Tremblant has similar openings. I need to transfer out of my deferred entry to IMChatt next year (family wedding same weekend) and would like to transfer to IMMT. I have to wait 10 days after general registration opened. 9 more days.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the discussion that you are having with Nordicskier is academic by Feb or Mar. A lot will change, treatments will improve, insta testing will be more prevalent (all around the world) and there will be better systems in place to deal with doing life around virus (as we have done with all diseases from the dawn of time) vs blunt brute force isolation techniques (whether it is entire countries, groups of poeple in a country, families etc etc).

But that day is not today and Canada intentionally has this 14 day quarantine upon return given that the transmission in the two countries south of us are among the highest in the G20.

I am all for racing but right now, I don't want my training buddy going down to IM Cozumel and showing up without a quarantine or a test to prove he's OK. If the same guy goes to Cairns last weekend, I am less worried, but regardless both get hit with the 14 day quarantine. I can't go on biz to Tampa or Houston or Austin (trips I need to do) without myself and my family being forced into a 2 week quarantine (just by coming home they can't interact with anyone even if they did not travel).

In any case by IM Tremblant and IM Penticton next year, things will all be changed. If we can't do commerce with other societies the nation has a combo of massive health issues and economic issues in simultaneously. I suspect we'll be good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think the discussion that you are having with Nordicskier is academic by Feb or Mar. A lot will change, treatments will improve, insta testing will be more prevalent (all around the world) and there will be better systems in place to deal with doing life around virus (as we have done with all diseases from the dawn of time) vs blunt brute force isolation techniques (whether it is entire countries, groups of poeple in a country, families etc etc).

But that day is not today and Canada intentionally has this 14 day quarantine upon return given that the transmission in the two countries south of us are among the highest in the G20.

I am all for racing but right now, I don't want my training buddy going down to IM Cozumel and showing up without a quarantine or a test to prove he's OK. If the same guy goes to Cairns last weekend, I am less worried, but regardless both get hit with the 14 day quarantine. I can't go on biz to Tampa or Houston or Austin (trips I need to do) without myself and my family being forced into a 2 week quarantine (just by coming home they can't interact with anyone even if they did not travel).

In any case by IM Tremblant and IM Penticton next year, things will all be changed. If we can't do commerce with other societies the nation has a combo of massive health issues and economic issues in simultaneously. I suspect we'll be good to go.

Possibly. I just don’t trust the governments that much yet. Hence I transferred the registration. I’m guessing I’m not the only one since registration is still open.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Up with Ironman Canada Registration [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Would LOVE to see you back at an IM finish line, Paul - You have at least one more IM in those legs! Z

Hey Tom great to hear from you!

I am certain that I have enough run mileage in my legs during the last year after a 4 year running hiatus to get through an Ironman. The problem is my brain writes cheques that my body cannot cash and then my body pays long term. I have been pretty good staying inside what my body can do but I am unsure that in the back half of an IM marathon that I won't do stupid thing that I pay for later if my body is not totally behaving. So if there are IM slots available at Tremblant or Penticton after the winter, I can reassess.

I will say that mentally I am OK never doing an Ironman again, but if I feel I could do one safely, race the entire thing and not walk, then I would like to try. My longest run in 6 years is 21km at Dubai 70.3 2020 and Demi Esprit 2019. 42.2 is another animal...but let's see. It is tempting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my booking for Spanish Villa! (My deferred registration was completed last week).
They said they were almost completely full again for next year - only a couple rooms left

I guess that means at some point I need to stop drinking beer and start actually training again, ugh......
I haven't swam with any effort since like march!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Totally agree. Technology is changing weekly.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat as you to do US races (but due to my Cdn Govt Imposed 14 day quarantine on return). Until that goes away, I won't do any biz trips to US, Europe or Middle East nor register for any tris in those locations (plus I really don't want to actually do anything to interact with people more than I need to so that I don't add to the mess of spreading this).

So yeah, no point spending money involving anything involving moving in anything but a car or crossing borders for the next while. Best of luck with your training. If IMC is still open next spring, and my body can handle it, then I'll see if I want to get on a plane to go race there 30 years later.
Quote Reply

Prev Next