Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Cozumel - First Ironman Event in the Americas since lockdown
Quote | Reply
Well, we're now 6 days away from a race that is 100% happening. Looks to be a little over 500 athletes on the start list plus 45 or so pros. I want to give a big shout-out to Paula Newby Fraser for helping to double the initial pro purse from $15,000 to $30,000. Paying 10 deep on each side instead of 5 is such a huge help to those of us making our way down there desperate to race.

Anyone else going to be there? Any tips on the course? Best Bike Split is implying the bike course is quite quick, though I'm not sure on the pavement quality when doing the math.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 21, 20 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel - First Ironman Event in the Americas since lockdown [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the word on quarantining upon your arrival/return?

Good luck! This should be a fun one to follow.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel - First Ironman Event in the Americas since lockdown [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
What's the word on quarantining upon your arrival/return?

Good luck! This should be a fun one to follow.

Thank you! No laws regarding quarantining there. Spending an extra week in our Airbnb after the race since airfare is the bulk of the cost. We're not big bar/club/tours people and our Airbnb is 3 miles north of the town so it should be easy to stay safe. We'll be hardcore quarantining when we get back though: a few days of hanging out before getting tested, then until test results.

Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 21, 20 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel - First Ironman Event in the Americas since lockdown [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pavement quality is superb for 90%. There are some bumps and holes in the doglegs into town, and then a couple miles further south near ish the cruise ship pier. I am not an uber biker and I went close to 5 in the full last year

The bigger issue is the wind on the east side but unless it's a really bad day, it's ok early on. Usually for the full it's the 2d and more 3d loop that get bad

Stoked that this race is going for you guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest issue for me last year was dealing with the heat and lack of and shade or breeze. This year I hope to have a better game plan and actually be able to put a decent race together. The wind was not even there on the east end of the island.
Last edited by: Craigfsl: Sep 21, 20 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope it all goes well.

In Blighty we've got the only significant sized event of this Covid-fecked year this coming weekend too (providing Boris, Gove and the rest of the eeejits in charge here don't fhuck it over in the next few days) - Outlaw X, at Thoresby Hall in Nottinghamshire. 70.3 distance.
Sold out race with about 1500 athletes.
PTO have put up the ÂŁ15k purse.
Pro/elite field of about 30 men and 20 women, inc Ali Brownlee, Tim Don, Adam Bowden, Lucy Hall (apologies to pros and elites I missed there !)

I listened to part of the online briefing earlier (my family is volunteering + daughter helping the organisers all this week) and it sounded like the pro/elites are on a proper RACING start 😁. All age groupers on a time trial style staggered start.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Cozumel - First Ironman Event in the Americas since lockdown [Craigfsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craigfsl wrote:
Biggest issue for me last year was dealing with the heat and lack of and shade or breeze. This year I hope to have a better game plan and actually be able to put a decent race together. The wind was not even there on the east end of the island.
I'm anticipating this to be the toughest part as well. Doesn't help that the Gatorade given out at aid stations is standard formula, rather than endurance. And presumably no Red Bull at run aid stations which I've become accustomed to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
presumably no Red Bull at run aid stations which I've become accustomed to.

Yeah Red Bull on the run is nice

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming from Canada and have to quarantine for two weeks when I return home so I hope it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Ben go! #realBigDeal
Excited to follow the race! Does anyone know if there will be any kind of coverage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there , although as a 52 year old age grouper I will still be biking when you are finished. The swim is amazing and crystal clear. The current shifts around - sometimes it’s north to south sometimes south to north.

Obviously dead flat for both bike and run with the wind and heat being the biggest challenge to manage. As mentioned the wind won’t be much of an issue early and we only go up the east side once (Those second and third laps of the full are brutal). It’s a fantastic event and location with great crowd support (at least it was pre Covid anyway).

This is my return to IM racing after having some heart issues at AG nationals in ‘17 and then having back surgery to replace a collapsed disc 7 months ago. So I am just really happy to be able to make it to the starting line healthy for once in a long time.

Good luck to you - hope to see you on the podium.
Last edited by: sdbanker: Sep 21, 20 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Well, we're now 6 days away from a race that is 100% happening. Looks to be a little over 500 athletes on the start list plus 45 or so pros. I want to give a big shout-out to Paula Newby Fraser for helping to double the initial pro purse from $15,000 to $30,000. Paying 10 deep on each side instead of 5 is such a huge help to those of us making our way down there desperate to race.

There's going to be some stacked pro fields for any pro race that manages to happen this year. That's awesome they were able to double the prize money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that doesn’t help either, was so hot last year I couldn’t even find Gatorade on the second run loop.
Quote Reply