Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nike shoes have no heel lock
Quote | Reply
Hi -- I'm wondering if it's just me or do Nike shoes just not lock down at the heel or others. I've tried so many of their shoes and I just love how they feel underfoot, but every time I start putting them into heavier rotation I end up with some kind of foot/ankle/Achilles ache or pain which I attribute to the fact that I can't get any of the shoes to lock down on my heel. I've tried Epic React, Epic Infinity, various Peg / Peg Turbo, Zoom Fly, Vaporfly. The ones with more of a bootie/sock upper are the worst offenders as I have to pull laces down so tight they dig into the top of my foot given the lack of a padded tongue.

I give up on Nike. Back to Brooks for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m doing a series on my YouTube channel about the history of running and running shoes. This one goes in the history category. Runners have been trying to force their feet into the popular models of 30 or so years now. It never works. A shoe works for you or it doesn’t. There is no point if you know a shoe works like your Brooks to try to wear a Nike.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the ZF3s and it doesn’t heel lock for me, but I really don’t need it to as my forefoot strike hits correctly in them.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
I’m doing a series on my YouTube channel about the history of running and running shoes. This one goes in the history category. Runners have been trying to force their feet into the popular models of 30 or so years now. It never works. A shoe works for you or it doesn’t. There is no point if you know a shoe works like your Brooks to try to wear a Nike.

I did the same 'dumb' thing with the Vaporfly. I've been running successfully in Altras for years but I "had to have the carbon plate". Big mistake. Now I'm back in Altras and my feet are comfortable again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’s just one of those personal things. I have a pair of zoom fly flyknit that lock down well in the heel, but my Pegasus turbo 2 do not. I did a fartlek session in the turbo 2 tonight and didn’t really notice it affecting me that much. But I know other folks that heel slipping is a deal breaker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just the fit between the runner and the shoe. I had some Brooks Ghosts that I had heel slippage with, but run in Epic React Flyknits these days with very little lace tension (I slip them on/off) and no heel slippage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
SDJ wrote:

I did the same 'dumb' thing with the Vaporfly. I've been running successfully in Altras for years but I "had to have the carbon plate". Big mistake. Now I'm back in Altras and my feet are comfortable again.

Which Altras are you mostly using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're getting injured, you should bail on them.
Me, I desire that locked in feeling because it gives me confidence, and newer Nike's like the React Infinity have the laces stopping so low on the top of the foot, that trying to achieve that feeling requires cinching things down, but the heel lock still isn't there and it rubs the top of the foot. I totally agree with you 100%, but lacking that feeling has never caused me injury.

I've actually had a great time running in these shoes and found that I run just fine, the shoes stay on just fine, and not having that ultra locked in feeling isn't actually a big deal at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There is no point if you know a shoe works like your Brooks to try to wear a Nike.

I'd largely agree with this, but it's a real pain when companies modify shoes that really work and you're then left searching in the dark for something to fill that void.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [AdamML] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamML wrote:
Quote:
There is no point if you know a shoe works like your Brooks to try to wear a Nike.

I'd largely agree with this, but it's a real pain when companies modify shoes that really work and you're then left searching in the dark for something to fill that void.

Yeah, that’s what happened to me. The Brooks Ravanna 9 was my go-to trainer for a season. The Ravanna 10 is a completely different shoe as they introduced the “guide rail” system instead of a moderate medial post. So I ordered literally every pair of the 9s I could find and have been dwindling down my stock for the last 2 years while testing out other shoes.

I had been doing “A” races in the VF3 and Next% and every time I wore them was putting down a PR. BUT every race my feet went numb and my Achilles would bother me for a couple weeks requiring me to dial back mileage. I had to “pay the piper” I’d say. So my thinking was maybe if I trained in Nike shoes I’d get more accustomed to the Next% and be able to race in them without injuries. No such luck. I should probably toss the Next% too. It’s just so hard. They’re so fast. But definitely the wrong shoe for me.

So... I just ordered some Ravanna 11s and Hyperion Tempos to try. We’ll see how they go. I really hope they feel good and fit well as I’m down to my last pair of Rananna 9s and need a shoe I can count on for 2021 IM season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

So... I just ordered some Ravanna 11s and Hyperion Tempos to try. We’ll see how they go. I really hope they feel good and fit well as I’m down to my last pair of Rananna 9s and need a shoe I can count on for 2021 IM season.

Brooks just sent me some Hyperion Tempos. haven't run in them yet, later this week probably, but just walking around the house I really like these shoes. Like you, I prefer a bit of stability in my shoes (Love my Brooks transcends), yet I can see myself in these shoes for a few pair

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [AdamML] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s the turning point then. When that happens you have to find another shoe. I’m not suggesting don’t run in different brands in fact I encourage it it’s better for your running and it’s better for your frustration level when one of them gets changed. All I’m suggesting is don’t chase shoes because they are the hot shoes on the market.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did just the opposite. The big beefy heal collars hurt my Achilles. Nike and Saccony came to my rescue. My feet don't move and no big pressure on my heals.

To each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike shoes have no heel lock [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Escalante
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
That’s the turning point then. When that happens you have to find another shoe. I’m not suggesting don’t run in different brands in fact I encourage it it’s better for your running and it’s better for your frustration level when one of them gets changed. All I’m suggesting is don’t chase shoes because they are the hot shoes on the market.

I'm with you on this - it's just been a very long process for me trying to find what fills the hole that the shoe which worked best for me. Unfortunately my local running store shut and there isn't one I know of in a large radius to go and get any kind of range or service in choosing the right pair.
Quote Reply