Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crown race bearings
Quote | Reply
Is the crown race bearing assembly generic? I dropped one while changing forks and the tiny ball bearings scattered everywhere. I have another, from a different headset, that looks the same and seems to fit. Are these in fact the same across headset brands and I can use the other or do I need one meant specifically for the headset brand?
Quote Reply
Re: Crown race bearings [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Is the crown race bearing assembly generic? I dropped one while changing forks and the tiny ball bearings scattered everywhere. I have another, from a different headset, that looks the same and seems to fit. Are these in fact the same across headset brands and I can use the other or do I need one meant specifically for the headset brand?

It depends. There are so many different types with countless variations. You can probably go off-brand with the bearing, but would have to make sure the bearing specs are the same - inner and outer diameter, chamfer angles, etc. If it fits well it's *probably* OK, but it might be worth looking up the specs on each bearing if they have a readable serial #, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say "the tiny ball bearing scattered everywhere" that says to me that it was done and needed replacement.

If you have another that appears to fit, I'd just make sure the angles are right before I started using it.

Can you tell us what bike you need the headset for and maybe we could help find a replacement?
Quote Reply
Re: Crown race bearings [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes this.
If you tell us the bike, year, and ideally some photos so we can see what's going on that would be great.

I've used alternative brand headset bearings on some bikes before, but needed to ensure same fit (as per previous reply, size on inside, outside, the angles of the Chambers, etc.). Eg I've managed to use some Hope Stainless Steel bearings on one of my older (still 'integrated' headset) Trek road bikes. And a different brg for fixing a crap cheap Cane Creek headset on a mtb without resorting to needing to press out the headset 'housing' from the frame. But did have to do a complete change of all parts on another where the bearing was not removable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy a new headset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
When you say "the tiny ball bearing scattered everywhere" that says to me that it was done and needed replacement.

If you have another that appears to fit, I'd just make sure the angles are right before I started using it.

Can you tell us what bike you need the headset for and maybe we could help find a replacement?

It's a generic 26" MTB frame that I use as a monstercross bike. Straight steerer tube. It's an Aheadset brand headset. It's old, so it probably should be replaced, but I can't do that and it will take forever to get it done at a shop, so I was hoping for a quick solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the ability to replace the lower bearing with another you certainly have the ability to put a brand new one in. No need to take it to the shop.

We can help you find one but we gotta know what bike you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a replacement bearing from my LBS. $2.50, so I didn't need to use the other one I had. I should really replace the headset, it's pretty old, this is the second bike it's been on. But this will keep me going, I use this bike for all sorts of riding in the winter. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like yours was a press in headset with a cage bearing, which as you noted was much easier to find. Good work!

As long as the race isn't scored, no need to replace anything. 26 ain't dead!
Last edited by: jroden: Sep 22, 20 4:01
Quote Reply