Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I need a carrier for my mazda CX-5 that can do 3 bikes if Possible

If That causes too many issues then just two and I can put my kids in the back

I’ve only previously used tgop racks but I think the rear one may be better?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a receiver?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saris Bones 3 would be my first choice.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Mazda CX-5. Installed a hitch and got a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 rack for 2 bikes. Best compact rack ever. There’s a version for 4 bikes as well. Or you can go with a Thule T2 Pro rack too.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Do you have a receiver?

I’m not sure what you mean by a receiver.

if receiver is a hitch then I don’t. Sorry I have never actually used a rear bike rack so don’t know the requirements.

I suppose I could have one installed if critical
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Sep 20, 20 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The receiver is the square hole (probably under your bumper) that you'd insert a ball mount or rack.
https://www.campway.com/...h-e1472153536590.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for this:
https://i.ytimg.com/...KA/maxresdefault.jpg
Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 20, 20 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I do not have a receiver.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

Another friends says this is great. Do you take it off when not in use?

How long to put it on/off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. You'll need to decide if you want to have one installed and buy a receiver/hitch rack, or get a rack like the Saris Bones:
https://www.saris.com/product/bones-ex-3

You're looking at about $210 to have one installed (parts and labor) from a place like a U-Haul. You'll still need to buy the rack ... and that could be a few hundred more. If you go this route, I can recommend Kuat or 1Up racks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I live in Hong Kong and the installation would be too painful and likely cost 2x so I’ll get the Bones.

many thanks for the help on this thread.

update***

Actually I won’t since it seems it’s sold out everywhere... no wiggle, amazon, chain reaction.

If anyone knows where I can get one I’d appreciate it.
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Sep 20, 20 19:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
OK. You'll need to decide if you want to have one installed and buy a receiver/hitch rack, or get a rack like the Saris Bones:
https://www.saris.com/product/bones-ex-3

You're looking at about $210 to have one installed (parts and labor) from a place like a U-Haul. You'll still need to buy the rack ... and that could be a few hundred more. If you go this route, I can recommend Kuat or 1Up racks.
I'm a big fan of my hitch rack (Kuat Sherpa 2.0), to the point I specifically sought out an OEM hitch installed when buying a car recently, but I don't think that's what OP is looking for.

To the OP - Hitch racks are easy to load and have limited interface with the car itself, but tend to be the most expensive option by a good amount. Saris bones should get the job done and will carry 3 bikes for at least $500 less than a comparable hitch-based Kuat or 1up setup. If you want to investigate hitch racks, etrailers.com is a good source of info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hitch install is super easy. At least on my wife’s 2014 CX5. Not sure if this could be sourced in HK:

Draw-Tite 76138 Class III Max-Frame Receiver (2" Square Receiver Tube Opening), 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_MOiAFb8A71Y3C

Having used the strap racks for years, trailer hitch rack is a revelation and so worth the upgrade.
Last edited by: blueapplepaste: Sep 21, 20 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

Agree with this. I have just bought this and used it for the first time this weekend for a race and it was great. I have a Mitsubishi outlander sport but the rack is easy to adjust and fits multiple different cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 CX-5 & installed a 2" hitch (easy install, Draw-Tite or Curt are good brands) and use a 1UP hitch-mount tray setup. I have the 2" Heavy Duty tray setup.

I have gone through (and learned better) Saris Bones, Thule fork mount on the roof, Rocky Mounts wheels-on on the roof, and now finally hitch. Wish I would have gone hitch years ago. No roof noise & killed gas mileage, no hoisting bikes onto the roof, and no bikes banging into each other in the rear. Favorite part about the 1Up setup is that I always leave on one tray and can still use the rear door with the tray folded up, and it's a simple 2min job to bolt on up to 3 more trays.

Just travelled across the country with a bike & cargo tray on the rear, it was simply fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat always get good reviews. I got a 1-up USA single rack as 99% of the time I am just transporting my bike. But I can expand the rack to add up to a total of 3 bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

We actually bought the first CX-5 (2015) to get rid of using an external rack. My wife and I got tire of bringing the bikes in at hotels when traveling to races. You can put 2 triathlon bikes and several suit cases in the car with the back seats down. If you are transporting 2 adult bikes and a kids bike you can probably get time in the back with little problems. We used an old blanket to separate the bikes.

To answer your question, on that car, it took about 2 minutes to put it on after all the straps had been adjusted and the feet set, and the rear hatch would still go up and down fine, although not with the bikes on the rack.

We now have a 2020 and it looks like the same setup for the rear hatch, so it should still work the same way.

As far as the receiver goes, we had one on the 2015 to tow the jet ski. If I remember correctly, it was expensive to get installed because of the design of the rear end in that car. I suspect the 2020 has the same issues. We no longer tow with that car so we don't have a receiver installed.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
I have a 2018 CX-5 & installed a 2" hitch (easy install, Draw-Tite or Curt are good brands) and use a 1UP hitch-mount tray setup. I have the 2" Heavy Duty tray setup.

I have gone through (and learned better) Saris Bones, Thule fork mount on the roof, Rocky Mounts wheels-on on the roof, and now finally hitch. Wish I would have gone hitch years ago. No roof noise & killed gas mileage, no hoisting bikes onto the roof, and no bikes banging into each other in the rear. Favorite part about the 1Up setup is that I always leave on one tray and can still use the rear door with the tray folded up, and it's a simple 2min job to bolt on up to 3 more trays.

Just travelled across the country with a bike & cargo tray on the rear, it was simply fantastic.

Thanks that’s great news. I will never need it for more than a 30km trip.

Are you saying you can install a hitch yourself? My car doesn’t have a receiver that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
The hitch install is super easy. At least on my wife’s 2014 CX5. Not sure if this could be sourced in HK:

Draw-Tite 76138 Class III Max-Frame Receiver (2" Square Receiver Tube Opening), 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_MOiAFb8A71Y3C

Having used the strap racks for years, trailer hitch rack is a revelation and so worth the upgrade.

I will check this out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Animalmom2 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

We actually bought the first CX-5 (2015) to get rid of using an external rack. My wife and I got tire of bringing the bikes in at hotels when traveling to races. You can put 2 triathlon bikes and several suit cases in the car with the back seats down. If you are transporting 2 adult bikes and a kids bike you can probably get time in the back with little problems. We used an old blanket to separate the bikes.

To answer your question, on that car, it took about 2 minutes to put it on after all the straps had been adjusted and the feet set, and the rear hatch would still go up and down fine, although not with the bikes on the rack.

We now have a 2020 and it looks like the same setup for the rear hatch, so it should still work the same way.

As far as the receiver goes, we had one on the 2015 to tow the jet ski. If I remember correctly, it was expensive to get installed because of the design of the rear end in that car. I suspect the 2020 has the same issues. We no longer tow with that car so we don't have a receiver installed.

Thanks. Now if only I culd buy one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the hitch in an easy install yourself, even if you're not super automobile-inclined. I have always purchased my rack bits from eTrailer.com - not sure how they handle long distance shipping but I'd assume you could find another source.

I recall the install taking a few hours, but most of it was alignment (I was working solo), and only a few minutes of actual work. You snap off the lower piece of trim on the rear bumper, lower the exhaust by undoing the hangers, and bolt on the hitch apparatus with a few bolts. The hardest part was getting everything aligned & then re-installing the exhaust mounts into the rubber hangers.

As I said I always leave on one rack, and can bolt on plenty more. Just drove round trip from Chicago to northwest Montana with the back all rigged up & highway speeds of 80+, not a single issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a Bike Rack for Mazda CX-5 [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have a guy that can do it (in HK I don’t have a garage/tools like I would in the US)

As long as it doesn’t require welding it should be good - saw the Youtube video. Easy.
Quote Reply